Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm referring to the lower flu infections and other contagions than C19, less traffic deaths, less trauma, better personal healthcare awareness, will reduce fatalities. Domestic violence/suicide, drug overdoses, failure to seek early treatment of health problems, will work in the other direction.

We won't know how it shakes out until they collect all the data and adjust it for variables. Perhaps if it shows a drop, we can do this every Dec-June. That would be nice wouldn't it?
Cannot speak for other countries but the UK Office of National Statistics has already published some numbers and they make Mr Musk look like a fringe politics lunatic.

“Excess deaths from all causes stand 16,952 above the seasonal average across the UK since fatalities from Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus, began to mount in mid-March.

The “all cause excess mortality” figure is widely recognised as the best measure of the death toll linked to the pandemic.”

UK coronavirus deaths more than double official figure, according to FT study | Free to read

Reactions: Doggydogworld
Those states don't have big outbreaks, deaths are almost certainly down in those states.

California has more Asians and Asian traffic than anywhere in the US. It was the second, if not the first (debatable) state that was hit. We have more day laborers who ignore the distancing and PPE rules. We only recently started testing, nothing near NY levels. We abandoned our nursing homes. We fought against travel restrictions.

Why do the other states have more per capita infections? We still don't have enough PPE.

Cannot speak for other countries but the UK Office of National Statistics has already published some numbers and they make Mr Musk look like a fringe politics lunatic.

“Excess deaths from all causes stand 16,952 above the seasonal average across the UK since fatalities from Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus, began to mount in mid-March.

The “all cause excess mortality” figure is widely recognised as the best measure of the death toll linked to the pandemic.”

UK coronavirus deaths more than double official figure, according to FT study | Free to read

I'm afraid on this issue he is in fact a fringe politics lunatic. I also think the role of the twitter algos which are well known to push people deeper in to conspiracies is at play here

Reactions: Singer3000
It is nonsensical to disallow tennis, golf, hiking, surfing and similar activities as long as proper social distancing is maintained.
The same goes for jobs such as gardeners who don't get close to anyone.
Gardeners are allowed to work in San Diego. Surfing and Hiking are allowed, golf is not, not sure about tennis.

Preliminary results of the FDNY and NYPD antibody testing survey show 17.1% of FDNY officers and EMTs have COVID-19 antibodies; and 10.5% of NYPD officers have COVID-19 antibodies.
This is very surprising to me. I figured the rates for these groups would be far higher than the general population antibody tests. I suspect they're excluding people who already tested positive for COVID-19 on a PCR test.
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4,959 member of NYPD members have tested positive for COVID-19 (of 55k employees). It seems like these antibody tests must not include them. Still the sum of the two percentages is lower than the latest general NYC antibody positive test percentage of 25%. My guess is that this shows that NYPD members are much more careful than the average person buying groceries in NYC.
37 NYPD members have died from COVID-19.
NYPD shifts gears in COVID-19 pandemic to focus on subway homelessness - amNewYork

Last edited:

Why would the UK have lower flu and accidental deaths? They took very little action until the end of March, and even then used the Underground as a vector.

California has more Asians and Asian traffic than anywhere in the US. It was the second, if not the first (debatable) state that was hit. We have more day laborers who ignore the distancing and PPE rules. We only recently started testing, nothing near NY levels. We abandoned our nursing homes. We fought against travel restrictions.

Why do the other states have more per capita infections? We still don't have enough PPE.
We didn't get overrun by dirty people coming from Europe?

JetBlue Is the First Major U.S. Airline to Require Masks for Passengers

The experiment is about to begin! In this corner, we have an airline that thinks the hassle of wearing a mask for a couple hours is worth the protection provided by everyone else wearing a mask. In the other corner, we have the same airlines which maintained smoking sections until Northwest dragged them into cleaner air. Ladies and gentlemen, start your turbine engines, we're about to see this experiment get off the ground.

Hospitals ARE half empty. My brother's an OR nurse and has worked 12, 16, and 12 hours the last three weeks. Philly hasn't been hit too hard, but we're also 90 mins from Manhattan and closer to North Jersey.

Plenty of doctors posting here. Ask them if hospitals are half empty.

Elon is speaking like a raving lunatic, but the things he's saying are accurate.

hospitals are all at half capacity in my area in NYS as well. They are laying off a lot of people.

• Informative
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
JetBlue Is the First Major U.S. Airline to Require Masks for Passengers

The experiment is about to begin! In this corner, we have an airline that thinks the hassle of wearing a mask for a couple hours is worth the protection provided by everyone else wearing a mask. In the other corner, we have the same airlines which maintained smoking sections until Northwest dragged them into cleaner air. Ladies and gentlemen, start your turbine engines, we're about to see this experiment get off the ground.
By comparison, here in Canada, our federal government has mandated that all airline passengers must wear masks (or at least a nose and mouth cover) effective last week. Both of Canada's major airlines adopted this immediately. I haven't heard one complaint about it - just seems like common sense.

New measures introduced for non-medical masks or face coverings in the Canadian transportation system - Canada.ca

I'm afraid on this issue he is in fact a fringe politics lunatic. I also think the role of the twitter algos which are well known to push people deeper in to conspiracies is at play here
The bit that sticks in my throat the most is while he castigates Western democracies for their mostly quite moderate and temporary steps to protect the most vulnerable, he continues with the hero worship of the Chinese Communist Party. Who locked down the better part of a billion people at the barrel of a gun. Welded Wuhan residents into their apartment blocks. Sent armed police to head-bag and bundle elderly people into armoured vehicles because digital tracing showed they may have been exposed to the virus. Withholding key information from the world at a crucial time (e.g. that human-human transmission was occurring). Disappearing scientists (and perhaps worse) that tried to raise the early alarm that may have prevented the crisis entirely. Deleting all criticism of the government from the media. And by the way, detaining perhaps a million residents of Xinjiang in “re-education camps”, or to call them what they are, concentration camps, because of their political and religious views.

That’s without getting to unsubstantiated (but plausible) conspiracy theories that the virus escaped from a Wuhan lab, or that the CPC deliberately sat on what they knew to ensure the rest of the world caught the same economic flu that was at that point already inevitable in China.

It’s really hard to reconcile just how anti-science Musk has been through all this with his carefully curated public persona of being “Mr First Principles”, smartest guy in the room. His apparent naïveté in trusting the CPC because they threw him some cheap liquidity and drew a line through city red tape for him.

Which does rather cast doubt on the justification for that image in the first place. What else is he too pig headed to listen to advice over? Where else is he misplacing his trust?

As someone else said, TSLA suddenly looks a very brave place to park very big proportions of your wealth, even if it’s still worth having a nice chunk of it in case the company hits the jackpot in its various ventures.

Gardeners are allowed to work in San Diego. Surfing and Hiking are allowed, golf is not, not sure about tennis.

California Gov. closing all beaches and state parks beginning Friday, May 1 according to a memo sent to the members of the California Police Chiefs Association, ahead of a public announcement expected on Thursday.

Hopefully there is enough pushback from counties along the 800 miles of beach to cause reconsideration or modification.

The bit that sticks in my throat the most is while he castigates Western democracies for their mostly quite moderate and temporary steps to protect the most vulnerable, he continues with the hero worship of the Chinese Communist Party. Who locked down the better part of a billion people at the barrel of a gun. Welded Wuhan residents into their apartment blocks. Sent armed police to head-bag and bundle elderly people into armoured vehicles because digital tracing showed they may have been exposed to the virus. Withholding key information from the world at a crucial time (e.g. that human-human transmission was occurring). Disappearing scientists (and perhaps worse) that tried to raise the early alarm that may have prevented the crisis entirely. Deleting all criticism of the government from the media. And by the way, detaining perhaps a million residents of Xinjiang in “re-education camps”, or to call them what they are, concentration camps, because of their political and religious views.

That’s without getting to unsubstantiated (but plausible) conspiracy theories that the virus escaped from a Wuhan lab, or that the CPC deliberately sat on what they knew to ensure the rest of the world caught the same economic flu that was at that point already inevitable in China.

It’s really hard to reconcile just how anti-science Musk has been through all this with his carefully curated public persona of being “Mr First Principles”, smartest guy in the room. His apparent naïveté in trusting the CPC because they threw him some cheap liquidity and drew a line through city red tape for him.

Which does rather cast doubt on the justification for that image in the first place. What else is he too pig headed to listen to advice over? Where else is he misplacing his trust?

As someone else said, TSLA suddenly looks a very brave place to park very big proportions of your wealth, even if it’s still worth having a nice chunk of it in case the company hits the jackpot in its various ventures.

Part of the reason our crisis is lasting longer than China's is our lockdown is relatively lax compared to China's because we are trying not to be fascist. If the Govt in mid March sent the National Guard to enforce a hard 2 week quarantine where no one leaves their house even for supplies, rather the army does drop offs, this whole thing would've been over but we didn't do that because personal rights and we aren't fascist.

By comparison, here in Canada, our federal government has mandated that all airline passengers must wear masks (or at least a nose and mouth cover) effective last week. Both of Canada's major airlines adopted this immediately. I haven't heard one complaint about it - just seems like common sense.

New measures introduced for non-medical masks or face coverings in the Canadian transportation system - Canada.ca

My local bank has taken more precautions than US airlines and they only do drive thru banking. This is what happens when there is so little national coordination.

California Gov. closing all beaches and state parks beginning Friday, May 1 according to a memo sent to the members of the California Police Chiefs Association, ahead of a public announcement expected on Thursday.

Hopefully there is enough pushback from counties along the 800 miles of beach to cause reconsideration or modification.

Pretty sure that's only state beaches. Obviously this will only increase crowding at county and city beaches. Personally I don't think it's a good idea. It would be nice if we could somehow limit crowding on beaches. What they're doing in San Diego is closing all parking lots and only allowing walking, swimming, paddle boarding, surfing, etc.

EDIT: maybe it is all beaches. In theory it might be a good idea but not if it erodes support for social distancing. Could be we're doomed.
EDIT: Just Orange County beaches until they have a good plan to reduce crowding.

Last edited: