Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does obesity lead to more severe cases of COVID-19?

Most likely because it promotes:
1) Diabetes (which in and of itself has complications such as mild immunosuppression)
2) Heart disease / cardiovascular deconditioning
3) Generalized physical deconditioning (healthier, active people are known to be able to fight off infection better)

There are others, but those are the top 3 off the top of my head.

Apparently our governor has allowed San Diego County permission to open retail and dining inside restaurants (with conditions). I do find it curious that you are now allowed to have a sandwich sitting inside a restaurant but not sitting outside on the sand at the beach.
I agree, eating while socially distanced outside sounds a lot more reasonable than inside.

Reactions: madodel and jerry33
that's not the correct spelling. see below:

View attachment 543448
morans.png

It is heartwarming to see all of the people who are potential candidates for our groundbreaking release of Moron Spray, Version 2. We have designed this for increased efficacy after seeing the amazing resistance to our to earlier products Idiot Spray and version 1 of Moron Spray in those with refractory idiocy. We realized that we had to attack the problem of treatment refraction at its source. Previous research had identified two correlates for becoming a complete and total moron - one physiological (brain parenchyma replaced by popcorn kernels) the other epidemiological / environmental (high levels of environmental toxic exposure to Fox & Friends which we believe eventually creates 'popcorn brain'). See above thumbnail picture of typical subject suffering from this terrible condition.

Together these create a highly refractory condition that even our first release of Moron Spray could not reverse. However, in Version 2, we attack these problems directly. Version 2 of Moron Spray includes our first release of proprietary nanites that replace popcorn kernels in subject CNS with neuronal precursor cells, while simultaneously sabotaging both streaming and cable TV news stations. This re-bootstraps the brain from a ground state so to speak where Common Sense has a chance. However we have discovered that this results in a significant age regression of subjects back to infancy. With a lot of drooling.

Ah, the price of progress! :oops: :cool:.

Came in through one of my journal / trials feeds this AM. Thought it was interesting. I'm not advocating it as a treatment at this time, just was a different direction that was interesting.

Evidence mounts supporting inhaled nitric oxide as COVID-19 treatment
https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/10.1164/rccm.202004-0937LE

Enough safety data available that it has an ongoing (recruiting) clinical trial:
Nitric Oxide Gas Inhalation Therapy for Mild/Moderate COVID-19 - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Not surprising in view of its role in promoting endothelial health and homeostasis within this critical cell population, which is at the front line of COVID's attack on our cells. Here's an abstract:

The Role of Nitric Oxide on Endothelial Function

Dimitris Tousoulis 1, Anna-Maria Kampoli, Costas Tentolouris, Nikolaos Papageorgiou, Christodoulos Stefanadis
Abstract
The vascular endothelium is a monolayer of cells between the vessel lumen and the vascular smooth muscle cells. Nitric oxide (NO) is a soluble gas continuously synthesized from the amino acid L-arginine in endothelial cells by the constitutive calcium-calmodulin-dependent enzyme nitric oxide synthase (NOS). This substance has a wide range of biological properties that maintain vascular homeostasis, including modulation of vascular dilator tone, regulation of local cell growth, and protection of the vessel from injurious consequences of platelets and cells circulating in blood, playing in this way a crucial role in the normal endothelial function. A growing list of conditions, including those commonly associated as risk factors for atherosclerosis such as hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, smoking, diabetes mellitus and heart failure are associated with diminished release of nitric oxide into the arterial wall either because of impaired synthesis or excessive oxidative degradation. The decreased production of NO in these pathological states causes serious problems in endothelial equilibrium and that is the reason why numerous therapies have been investigated to assess the possibility of reversing endothelial dysfunction by enhancing the release of nitric oxide from the endothelium. In the present review we will discuss the important role of nitric oxide in physiological endothelium and we will pinpoint the significance of this molecule in pathological states altering the endothelial function.

Additionally and not mentioned in this abstract, moderate drinking but not alcoholism may have some health benefits by virtue of its indirect promotion of nitric oxide.

Last edited:
"At Henry Ford Health System in Detroit, cardiologist Dr. William O'Neill says enrollment for their clinical trial studying hydroxychloroquine to prevent COVID-19 plummeted in late April.

"It really caused a huge problem for us," O'Neill says. "It set us back probably a month."

O'Neill attributes the drop in enrollment to the FDA warning and a highly publicized study of over 300 hospitalized veterans with COVID-19. The authors of that study found the drug did not reduce the need for a ventilator and even linked hydroxychloroquine to higher death rates. However, the study wasn't a rigorous controlled trial and the results weren't peer reviewed.

"That was interpreted as a warning that the drug is dangerous," says O'Neill. But he says, using it for prevention is a different matter than treating already sick patients. "Everything that we see about hydroxychloroquine suggests that the earlier you use the drug, the more likely it is to be effective."" -NPR

Way to go fear mongering mob! Mission accomplished!

"Dr. Jon Giles didn't expect to have any problems drumming up interest in his clinical trial testing if hydroxychloroquine can help prevent COVID-19.

"We were getting calls all the time from people who were interested," says Giles, an epidemiologist and rheumatologist at Columbia University.

For his study, Giles planned to give a short course of the medication to people who were "household contacts" of COVID-19 patients. Like many of the ongoing trials, it would be randomized with a control group.

By the end of April, Giles was ready to start enrolling people. But his team ran into a problem when they started calling potential participants.

"Pretty much everybody said, Well that's the drug that's dangerous to your heart, or, I talked to my friends and they said don't take it, or that I saw on TV it's dangerous," says Giles.

Just a month earlier, he says demand for the drug was soaring. Some patients with auto-immune conditions couldn't even get their prescriptions filled, after President Trump spoke enthusiastically about the drug.

In April, the FDA issued a warning about using the drug for COVID-19 patients without strict medical supervision in a hospital or as part of a clinical trial. The agency had received reports of serious heart-related adverse events and death in patients with COVID-19 receiving hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine.

But the back and forth headlines and the ongoing political wrangling seemed to make people wary of the medication, Giles says, even in the context of a carefully run clinical trial.

"It became almost impossible to get anyone interested," says Giles.

Giles says the committee overseeing his study added a new requirement: that study participants needed to have had an ECG within the last year.

As a rheumatologist, Giles knows the medication better than most doctors because he prescribes it to many of his patients.

"It's a very, very safe drug, it's been used for over 75 years," he says. "When I give someone hydroxychloroquine, I don't get an ECG or do blood monitoring."

Giles was planning to enroll otherwise healthy people and screen out anyone who could be at risk of heart problems. But that new requirement, plus the negative press, made it too difficult to find study subjects.

He gave up on doing the study. He says it's a missed opportunity.

"It's not unreasonable to think that a short course of this drug might have some protective ability," he says." - NPR

Clap Clap Clap. Fear is your only God folks.

Astra Zeneca is in the news today after they reported that the US has given them $1B for further Oxford vaccine R&D. I presume that the money is linked to US supply and perhaps pricing. Astra appears to be using the monies it is getting from governments to buy manufacturing volume. All hush hush, but the company says they now have capacity for 1 Billion doses and they want more. The anticipated start of vaccine production in September is still speculative although the company appears to be gaining confidence in that date.

My own wild speculation: the phase II/III trial started in April is not going to have clinical effectiveness data anytime before June but it has been going on long enough to show immune response. My WAG is that proof of antibody formation underlies the American investment. The American investment can also be viewed through a prism of trumpish preference to support American companies -- which AZN is not. The bar is substantially higher.

Disclaimer: I harbor skepticism about mRNA vaccines in general, and wrt to Moderna specifically. In addition, I have a financial interest in AZN.

Last edited:
Astra Zeneca is in the news today after they reported that the US has given them $1B for further Oxford vaccine R&D. My semi-educated guess is that the money is linked to US supply and perhaps pricing. Astra appears to be using the monies it is getting from governments to buy manufacturing volume. All hush hush, but the company says they now have capacity for 1 Billion doses and they want more. The anticipated start of vaccine production in September is still speculative although the company appears to be gaining confidence in that date.

My own wild speculation: the phase II/III trial started in April is not going to have clinical effectiveness data anytime before June but it has been going on long enough to show immune response. My guess is that proof of antibody formation underlies the American investment.

Disclaimer: I harbor skepticism about mRNA vaccines in general, and wrt to Moderna specifically. In addition, I have a financial interest in AZN.

Concur. I have no financial interest in either company, but mRNA vaccines are too bleeding edge and IMO there are too many unknown variables about efficacy and side-effects for them to be utilized on something of this scale. A traditional vaccine design like what Oxford is pursuing is the safest strategy.

The Role of Nitric Oxide on Endothelial Function
Dimitris Tousoulis 1, Anna-Maria Kampoli, Costas Tentolouris, Nikolaos Papageorgiou, Christodoulos Stefanadis
Abstract
The vascular endothelium is a monolayer of cells between the vessel lumen and the vascular smooth muscle cells. Nitric oxide (NO) is a soluble gas continuously synthesized from the amino acid L-arginine in endothelial cells by the constitutive calcium-calmodulin-dependent enzyme nitric oxide synthase (NOS). This substance has a wide range of biological properties that maintain vascular homeostasis, including modulation of vascular dilator tone, regulation of local cell growth, and protection of the vessel from injurious consequences of platelets and cells circulating in blood, playing in this way a crucial role in the normal endothelial function. A growing list of conditions, including those commonly associated as risk factors for atherosclerosis such as hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, smoking, diabetes mellitus and heart failure are associated with diminished release of nitric oxide into the arterial wall either because of impaired synthesis or excessive oxidative degradation. The decreased production of NO in these pathological states causes serious problems in endothelial equilibrium and that is the reason why numerous therapies have been investigated to assess the possibility of reversing endothelial dysfunction by enhancing the release of nitric oxide from the endothelium. In the present review we will discuss the important role of nitric oxide in physiological endothelium and we will pinpoint the significance of this molecule in pathological states altering the endothelial function.

Additionally and not mentioned in this abstract, moderate drinking but not alcoholism may have some health benefits by virtue of its indirect promotion of nitric oxide.

With EV's, we have reduced demand for NOS. Let's find other uses for it. ;)

With EV's, we have reduced demand for NOS. Let's find other uses for it. ;)

You're thinking of nitrous oxide. Laughing gas, otherwise used to boost acceleration in primitive internal combustion vehicle technology. Come to think of it perhaps we should try it as a component of one of our groundbreaking products. Moron Spray version 3?

Last edited:
If you are wondering about 'COVID Checks' fraud, wonder no more.
Not only did my dead father receive his $1200, it was direct deposit from the IRS.
He died last August and his estate is still in probate. His death certificate was filed with the State of California last fall.
He also get ballots for mail-in voting.

• Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke
Last edited:
Over 43% approve Trump so he must be appealing to huge group of people.

This study is ridiculous because of super wide age group: 19-65

. . . it's not a study. It's just statistical reporting of an outbreak.

With a study you control and account for the variables because you plan to intervene (i.e. test a drug, vaccine, etc.). With a reporting, you just report observations of what happened.

EDIT - correcting my terminology.

It is a "study" in that it is evaluating the data. It is not a "trial" which would be an intervention.

Apologies for the confusion. Time for more coffee.

Last edited:
Came in through one of my journal / trials feeds this AM. Thought it was interesting. I'm not advocating it as a treatment at this time, just was a different direction that was interesting.

Evidence mounts supporting inhaled nitric oxide as COVID-19 treatment
https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/10.1164/rccm.202004-0937LE

You're thinking of nitrous oxide. Laughing gas, otherwise used to boost acceleration in primitive internal combustion vehicle technology.

For a second I thought I could start doing whippits again :D

• Funny
Reactions: madodel