Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope Italy can get this under control because it starts looking worse every day.

Italian daily coronavirus deaths jump 57% to 366
The month long lockdown in North Italy is in my view something that will end up being repeated pretty much everywhere. It all just depends on timing differences of when the peak is forecast in each place. For example, in the UK this is forecast for Easter week.

I would post the entire document, but it specifically says it is confidential and not to distribute. Some key info, however, is 73% of cases over age 40, Median age 51. Time of progression to severe pulmonary symptoms is 5-7 days. Roughly half the patients accociated with more severe disease do NOT have other comorbidities....

The month long lockdown in North Italy is in my view something that will end up being repeated pretty much everywhere. It all just depends on timing differences of when the peak is forecast in each place. For example, in the UK this is forecast for Easter week.
Italy is unbelievable. I wonder whether US goes the way of Italy or South Korea.

Italay cases are going up 20%+ daily. Even though, protocol is for anyone with symptoms to isolate at home and come to hospital only after some days / if things get bad. So, they are not testing much - which accounts for very high fatality rate.

People visiting Italy and going back to their home countries are reporting infection. So, looks like Italy is as bad a China in terms of spreading he virus now.

ESnMqmrWkAI6xFw.jpg

I would post the entire document, but it specifically says it is confidential and not to distribute. Some key info, however, is 73% of cases over age 40, Median age 51. Time of progression to severe pulmonary symptoms is 5-7 days. Roughly half the patients accociated with more severe disease do NOT have other comorbidities....

Are they doing stool tests?

Is Prevotella contemporaneous with severity of Covid19?

https://www.researchgate.net/public...es_in_China_and_Hong-Kong_shows_unequivocally

Not sure how much weight I put into that graph.
That particular figure shows Iran is the model county everyone should be copying.
We should just ignore Iran numbers at this point. I don't think they are trying to test … they have a completely break down of their healthcare system. Photos of people fallen in front of the hospital with none to take care. Ambulance not responding etc.

Reactions: oldTAVguy
I’ve re-read Elon’s most recent tweets several times to make sure I’m not missing something that justifies him interjecting against experts in a field outside his own.

But I don’t get his point. Of course there’s a natural end to exponential growth. No one is suggesting there will be more infections than humans. Not even close.

Depending on the country, health authorities are modelling an absolute worst case infection rate of 60-80%. And this is without preventive and delaying measures. But 10% - 20% seems a reasonable base case.

As for his hope that lots of mild infections got missed. Well that’s certainly true in some places where there are 5% mortality rates. But the WHO say there’s little evidence of it in China generally and most professionals seem comfortable forecasting circa 0.5% if we’re lucky but probably closer to 1% CFR.

As for hospitalisation rates, lots of dispute about that but if you set very wide bands of 5-15% you probably cover it. Length of stay is as much of a problem, seems quite a lot of people need 2-3 weeks before discharge. Relative demographics will be a driver. Central China has bad pollution and lots smokers. Italy has lots of smokers and an older population. The US has much higher rates of Type 2 diabetes. The UK and Australia have particularly high rates of asthma.

Elon is a smart man. Has he not done the sums to see what happens to health systems when you multiply out those numbers in a short space of time? Good to see Andrea James gently nudging him to think again.

I am thinking about buying dip on airline stocks to play this corona virus thing. AAL/UAL together with a lot of other airline stocks are down ~40% percent. Surely they are still on a downward spiral. But they would rebound as soon as things settle down. This happened with 911/SARS/H1N1. Some of the airlines with huge debt/equity ratio may go under. But I expect a swift recovery for most of them.

I don’t know whether stocks is the right vehicle of investment with airlines right now. Do you remember whether there were any rumors of airline industry handouts by the government at that time?

Uncoordinated "rolling quarantines" are going to be so useless. China already has cases where people returned to quarantined areas with virus they picked up overseas. It's going to be impossible to control the pandemic in a reasonable fashion unless countries all coordinate and initiate quarantine at the same time. Otherwise people will keep reinfecting previously quarantined areas.