Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wow! What a diatribe...must have hit a nerve. Other responses were much more constructive and helpful, thanks to the others. Just trying to keep an open mind...i was one of the first people I knew to be freaked out about this thing back in January and got fully prepped for it, etc. even made a killing hedging my portfolio with QQQ puts and closing them out near the bottom luckily...

but over past few months have come to realize this COVID-19 isn’t as bad as I thought it would be and trying to figure it out. Elon is 100x smarter than me and anyone on this board...he’s not right 100% of the time but I’d say he’s a lot closer to being right 100% of time than anyone else on this board....whether on this issue he’s right or not is left to be seen IMO...There is still a lot of unknowns and uncertainties to me about this COVID-19 stuff which on one hand means we should still be cautious.

scott Adams does a daily podcast on current affairs and he’s of course not right 100% of time either but feel that he’s right on many things too (he keeps an open mind more than most) and can be enlightening for some on here....good luck and I will just Go back to sitting back and popping in every so often to just observe others’ thoughts posted on this thread.

Nope you didn't hit a nerve. But your density and lack of regard for other people, esp. those suffering from covid-19, Is notable. And when you're challenged on that rather than taking stock of your position and considering whether you can make it more respectful (including about the massive economic suffering and damage associated with covid-19), you boast about making a killing in your stock portfolio and then you double down on the foolishness, denial, and BS. So yes you are going to get confronted and challenged for all that. If you don't like being confronted, confront yourself.

Last edited:
FWIW, four of the last five new cars I purchased were first years. Only one turned out to be a mistake (No, not the Tesla, the VW--I guess everyone has to buy one VW until they learn.). The rest were as good as any other new car.
I love my X but it had some "growing pains". My wife had a VW Rabbit when we were dating 40 years ago. I had to buy an automatic transmission car because the Rabbit was so unreliable that she needed to borrow my car and she couldn't drive a stick. I never understood why she wouldn't ditch the VW. I often miss my 5 speed Datsun F10... until I get in my Tesla that is. I would never buy a VW anything. Or a Ford anything either, but that's a different story.

Texas border county had 'model' Covid-19 response – then the governor stepped in

Texas border county had 'model' Covid-19 response – then the governor stepped in

"But Starr county’s public officials knew months ago that is was especially vulnerable to the coronavirus pandemic: roughly one in three residents lives in poverty, a sizable slice of the population doesn’t have health insurance, and risk factors such as diabetes and obesity prevail. To protect their constituents, who are more than 96% Hispanic or Latino, they acted fast to curtail the contagion.
They developed what officials said was at the time the only drive-through testing site south of San Antonio. They closed schools. They implemented a stay-at-home order, curfew and mandatory face coverings. Only when necessary, they flexed their authority to fine and even jail anyone who flouted the law.
Their strategy worked. The first few coronavirus cases trickled into Starr county in late March, but for three weeks in April, there were no new infections. Before the end of May, weekly tallies of new confirmed positives never once reached double digits. Even seasonal influenza, coughs, colds and fevers that would normally travel through the community suddenly vanished.
“What we did here was a model for the rest of the nation to follow, but it was lost,” said Joel Villarreal, the mayor of Rio Grande City, one of four small cities in the county. “In fact, I think we had it right.”
The inflection point came when the Texas governor, Greg Abbott, unilaterally decided to reopen the state, and stripped local governments of their power in the process.
When local officials contacted the attorney general’s office for clarity about what orders they could continue to enforce, they were informed that the governor’s policies superseded their own."

-------------------------------
Not just a complete and utter failure to contain, but actively causing an increase in cases.
If somebody wanted to intentionally get as many people as possible infected they wouldn't be able to do a much better job.

Aren't bosons Force carrying particles?

Perhaps you are saying that the Orange Moron carries the dark side of the force?

lol

I'm a rank beginner in physics, but I love reading up on the concepts. yes, bosons are the force carriers, but they can also be defined by having integer (including 0) total spin. when I looked online to see if He can 'pile up' on each other like normal bosons, only in B.E. condensates, was the answer. so, He4 is not (to me) a true boson, but I'm far from the expert.

speaking of the dark side of the force, its like duct tape. duct tape is a force that (seemingly) binds the universe together; and it does have both a dark side and a light side. therefore, I conclude that life is a sub-class of the DuctTape abstract base class.

go ahead and prove me wrong.

;)

"But Starr county’s public officials knew months ago that is was especially vulnerable to the coronavirus pandemic: roughly one in three residents lives in poverty, a sizable slice of the population doesn’t have health insurance, and risk factors such as diabetes and obesity prevail. To protect their constituents, who are more than 96% Hispanic or Latino, they acted fast to curtail the contagion.
They developed what officials said was at the time the only drive-through testing site south of San Antonio. They closed schools. They implemented a stay-at-home order, curfew and mandatory face coverings. Only when necessary, they flexed their authority to fine and even jail anyone who flouted the law.
Their strategy worked. The first few coronavirus cases trickled into Starr county in late March, but for three weeks in April, there were no new infections. Before the end of May, weekly tallies of new confirmed positives never once reached double digits. Even seasonal influenza, coughs, colds and fevers that would normally travel through the community suddenly vanished.
“What we did here was a model for the rest of the nation to follow, but it was lost,” said Joel Villarreal, the mayor of Rio Grande City, one of four small cities in the county. “In fact, I think we had it right.”
The inflection point came when the Texas governor, Greg Abbott, unilaterally decided to reopen the state, and stripped local governments of their power in the process.
When local officials contacted the attorney general’s office for clarity about what orders they could continue to enforce, they were informed that the governor’s policies superseded their own."

-------------------------------
Not just a complete and utter failure to contain, but actively causing an increase in cases.
If somebody wanted to intentionally get as many people as possible infected they wouldn't be able to do a much better job.
Texas loves to take away local authority. They took away the ability of the locals to limit fracking so now the oil companies can frack inside city limits.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J and SageBrush
In San Antonio our deaths have generally been between 0 and three. I think yesterday was 9 and today was 19.
The mayor said yesterday was 6 plus 13 previously unrecorded deaths. The medical examiner did post-mortem tests on people who had not been tested while alive. These people died over the past few weeks but were added to the count all at once.
There is a movement to eliminate bail or radically reform it. Personally it should be tied to net worth. Bail for x offense should be y percentage of your net worth.
I've read half the people in the US have negative net worth. The court could issue them a check!

Reactions: Dr. J and dww12
1.4 BILLION in 'taxpayer relief' goes to....

catholic church!

wait, taxpayer relief? they don't PAY taxes! (they should, btw, but that's for another thread)

seems their kiddie diddlers cost the church a pretty penny and they are asking for OUR money to help them with their 'money problems':

After lobbying, Catholic Church won $1.4B in virus aid | NBC4 WCMH-TV

NEW YORK (AP) — The U.S. Roman Catholic Church used a special and unprecedented exemption from federal rules to amass at least $1.4 billion in taxpayer-backed coronavirus aid. In totaling the church’s haul, The Associated Press also found that tens of millions of dollars went to dioceses whose financial stress was due not simply to the pandemic, but also to recent payouts to victims of clergy sex abuse. The Paycheck Protection Program the church tapped was intended to help small businesses and nonprofits pay workers amid a cratering economy. The church was able to maximize its take after lobbying for an exemption that gave all religious groups preferential treatment. That helped make the Catholic Church among the biggest winners in the U.S. government’s pandemic relief efforts.

not sure if you guys knew this. I didn't know this.

its beyond shameful.

I know this will trigger some of you, but the R's are just WAY TOO DAMNED COZY with big religion. this stinks to - well - high heaven.

KCHD: Knox County flagged by CDC and feds as a COVID-19 hot spot

KCHD said it was notified Tuesday by the federal agencies that Knox County has been specifically identified along with several other areas in the U.S. as national hot spots. Knox County was one of 14 places in the U.S. the CDC and ASPR visited in the past two weeks.

According to recent CDC reports obtained by Yahoo News, the CDC, FEMA and other federal agencies are becoming more actively involved in the pandemic response as numerous areas in the U.S. draw concern due to a high and growing disease burden.

In the last month alone, Knox County cases of COVID-19 have nearly tripled. Researchers at Vanderbilt University Medical Center have noticed concerning trends locally, saying action needs to be taken sooner rather than later.

7d4afe30-c2b4-11ea-bef5-9cfe563c5c2d