Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elizabeth-Mach.jpeg

I BET HER MIDDLE NAME KAREN

A woman who claimed to be a teacher assaulted a man and spit in his face when he took his mask off while exiting a Costco store in Illinois, police said.

Elizabeth Mach, 45, allegedly approached a 50-year-old man after he removed his face covering while leaving a Costco store in Mettawa in Lake County, on June 16, the Sheriff’s Office announced Thursday.

Police said Mach slammed her shopping cart into the stranger and told him to put his mask back on because he hadn’t fully exited the store.

“I am a schoolteacher and I have COVID-19,” Mach allegedly told him, before taking her mask off and spitting in the man’s face, police said. She left the store but was later identified by police, who arrested her on Wednesday.

Mach was charged with battery and disorderly conduct and released later that day after posting 10 percent of the $40,000 bond imposed by the judge, police said. She is due back in court on July 29. It is unclear if she did actually have COVID-19.

Any lawyers here?

I’m not defending this woman’s action by any means, but just very curious as to what the battery charge was for and what is a possible outcome in court in front of a judge?

My curiosity comes from the thought of what if someone was careless that led to infecting another individual. Does this not warrant any charge, even a misdemeanor level?

Any lawyers here?

I’m not defending this woman’s action by any means, but just very curious as to what the battery charge was for and what is a possible outcome in court in front of a judge?

My curiosity comes from the thought of what if someone was careless that led to infecting another individual. Does this not warrant any charge, even a misdemeanor level?
Spitting in someone's face (whether sick or not) meets the legal definition of battery.

there's a thread on this website about an older person who was stopped by cops, the cops didn't all wear masks, the driver requested they do and the cops refused and got closer (as I recall the story, I should find the link).

to me, not-a-lawyer-not-even-on-tv, that seems like assault. I would care much less about the ticket and much more about how this could affect me the rest of my life.

one thing that is sorely lacking is: legal backing (and sharp teeth) for those that take a callous attitude toward others' lives.

a cop should lose his job (and be jailed) for risking the life of a citizen on a traffic stop. no excuse for that, and yet its happening, and worse. a-holes are getting away with assault and since the idiot-in-chief just laughs it off, all of LE is taking their cues from the top. the top won't prosecute anyone - hell, the top won't even WEAR a damned mask.

how do you keep yourself safe when half of 'us' are out there actively trying to sabotage the effort and our very lives?

so, suppose you are older, you feel you are at risk and you are stopped by a cop. that cop refused to mask-up. what legal rights do you have? do you have the right to defend your very life? does this meet the standard? if not, why not?

cops can shoot you if they 'fear for their lives'. its one of the things BLM is about. shoot first, get off with vacation pay later. but what if YOU fear for your life? how far can you go to defend your very life?

serious question; very serious matter.

Reactions: UrsS and dfwatt
what worries me is that quite a bit of the replies in that thread (many of which got moved to the 'police' thread; aka, the cornfield) were not on the driver's side but were seemingly more on the cop's side, when it came to the virus issue. and so, if you happened to be in an area of the country that was more red than blue, you may have a very difficult time finding sympathetic jurors and even if you are right, you are still likely to lose the case.

again, its not the virus that's the worst part. with science and time, we can manage that. what I'm worried about is the pig stupid ignorance that is bred into about half of us and that shows no sign of going away.

Reactions: NikolaACDC
cops can shoot you if they 'fear for their lives'. its one of the things BLM is about. shoot first, get off with vacation pay later. but what if YOU fear for your life? how far can you go to defend your very life?
A Trumper was caught on video at Costco advancing on an old lady and another person while yelling "I feel threatened by you !!"

That is the world that the sociopath in the White House has created

So you're thinking that MSNBC photoshopped the black lives matter in front of Trump Tower and it's all fake news?

Ok, well, fine, here's a link from what you would consider to be a more more "trust-worthy" source:
Curtis Hill: Black Lives Matter movement should prioritize Black fatherhood to improve Black lives

because Fox will NEVER create fake content right... ?

View attachment 563087
JFK's Democratic party bears no resemblance to the assortment of traitors they have today. They are the fringe of the lunatic left, with ideas that are laughable, disturbed and disturbing. They hate this nation, the history of this nation, the Constitution and the founders who wrote it. The Democratic party has become the seed of destruction, planted within the nation. Stop watering it. Never vote for another Democrat at any level in any election. You can try to save the nation or you can help Democrats destroy it. You still have a choice in the matter. Someday soon you may not. See #walkaway you will be amazed.

Los Angeles Apparel factory ordered closed after over 300 coronavirus cases and 4 deaths - CNN - people on TiVocommunity had been talking about buying masks from this company for awhile.

Angela Merkel knows how to insert a dagger -- Meanwhile in America - CNN
Trump, as well as Brazil's Jair Bolsonaro and Russia's Vladimir Putin, must have felt his ears burning when the German Chancellor demolished their approaches to the coronavirus in a speech Thursday. "As we are experiencing firsthand, you cannot fight the pandemic with lies and disinformation any more than you can fight it with hate or incitement to hatred," Merkel said. "The limits of populism and denial of basic truths are being laid bare."
Dozens of Mississippi lawmakers get coronavirus after refusing to wear masks - CNN

Last edited:
My county is rapidly closing in on 2% total infected, and seem to be claiming way too many 'recoveries'. We are up to 10 deaths after being stuck on 8 for a few months and I heard there were 2 more yesterday that haven't been counted yet. What is disturbing is that I have read one was 40 years old and the other might have been 40. When the county officially releases info I will verify the ages and make another post. Friends (on FB) that knew them are asking why it hasn't been officially reported yet. Being younger than me, I wish I knew why they were more susceptible to the virus, like co-morbidities or possibly how they were exposed (larger viral load perhaps?). I feel like everything is so cryptic with this virus, which more easily creates division IMO.

Reactions: NikolaACDC
What is disturbing is that I have read one was 40 years old and the other might have been 40. When the county officially releases info I will verify the ages and make another post. Friends (on FB) that knew them are asking why it hasn't been officially reported yet. Being younger than me, I wish I knew why they were more susceptible to the virus, like co-morbidities or possibly how they were exposed (larger viral load perhaps?). I feel like everything is so cryptic with this virus, which more easily creates division IMO.
There are ~ 500,000 deaths from Covid-19. Widen your net

• Funny
Reactions: byeLT4
wow, I had such a vivid dream, last nite.

I dreamt that trump caught what he calls the 'china flu', spent weeks in the ICU and finally died. then, the strangest thing - the world actually had its first world-wide holiday. I don't think there are any holidays that every country celebrates, but this was the first one.

I didn't enjoy waking up from that dream. I'm going to try to go back to sleep now and see what else happens ;)