Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the distancing measures adopted worldwide (well, almost worldwide) have also resulted in a lot less influenza deaths. It should have drastically reduced the chances of infection. Or maybe it was too late in the influenza season.
It's for sure a good question but I've never seen formal data on it. However a lot of epidemiologists have offered that covid-19 has had such a profound effect on behavior ( and yet not enough for sure in large areas of the US!) that it will reduce flu Seasons, colds, and a host of other infectious diseases. But of course that's still just an attractive speculation at this point without enough data to know for sure

Maybe because they know it's 2.8 million?

Nope.

The data they've received SO FAR for the first week of June is at 102% of normal. Data is still trickling in. That week (ending 6/6) will be 108-110% of normal by this time next month.

Here's what that CDC table showed exactly four weeks ago. The corresponding week, ending 5/9, increased 3750 since then.

Yep. People have a hard time understanding these tables and how much they lag.

Meanwhile, the COVID19-projections.com numbers continue to rapidly adjust to the increasing death counts, and the end of the pandemic extends to Christmas nationwide. Good times. I guess by getting more people infected we save money on vaccines.

I don't believe that we're going to peak out at 222k deaths. This number is going up by 7k deaths per day at the moment. I predict 270k projected by the end of this week. WAG. Florida deaths are really beginning to ramp now.

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 12.29.04 PM.png

Covid-19 reinfection 3 months later and with worse symptoms. Vox article:

My patient caught Covid-19 twice. So long to herd immunity hopes.

I have wondered if those who were basically asymptomatic would be compromised afterwards. Sure would make all those Gen X & Y people on here arguing against masks for them and their Gen Z kids seen in a different light. The other aspect of the article of course reliability of any immunity from surviving it first go round.

Ron has won the recent Moron Spray award but he can't possibly be far behind Trump because that would mean he's in a negative number range!
I watched an interview with him the other day. The journalist was badgering him for state level disclosure of hospital occupancy and Covid-19 occupancy. He took the question in stride and picked up a hefty state report put out daily that might as well be a book and waxed lyrical about the sheer amount of data the state reports every day. Not deterred (I presume because she had actually read the reports as I have have ), she pointed out that ongoing hospital data is unavailable.

It was a poignant but funny moment. Santis started to thumb the report with disbelief and tried to tell the reporter that she must be mistaken. A few moments later one of his handlers ended the question session.

Clearly he is an uninformed idiot, but I suppose the silver lining is that he is not part of a decision to omit that information by design. A week earlier he promised to add the missing information, so the discussion above was actually follow-up since it had not happened. I wonder if he understands English ?

Last edited:
I wonder if the distancing measures adopted worldwide (well, almost worldwide) have also resulted in a lot less influenza deaths. It should have drastically reduced the chances of infection. .

cure or no cure, I want all people to stay the heck away from me, unless invited specifically ;)

humans are icky. now, they're dangerous.

just stay away from me for the rest of this century.

(wish I was kidding; only partially joking. or is that partially serious.)

• Funny
Reactions: JRP3

I have wondered if those who were basically asymptomatic would be compromised afterwards. Sure would make all those Gen X & Y people on here arguing against masks for them and their Gen Z kids seen in a different light. The other aspect of the article of course reliability of any immunity from surviving it first go round.

As the treating physician himself acknowledges it's an N of 1 and totally anecdotal. Also, the physician did not clarify whether he had carefully ruled out any kind of immunosuppressive process such as steroid or antibiotic administration in the intervening interval, depression which clearly depresses the immune system, serious degrees of sleep deprivation which does the same, or anything else that would explain possible degraded immunocompetence.

But in the absence of those kinds of issues, it is a worrisome report for sure. Of course again it's anecdotal, and we have to see whether this is an outlier of some kind due to some unknown genetic or other vulnerability to reinfection. We'll have to wait and see how common this is. But if it becomes anything but a just weird outlier phenomena, it is for sure worrisome as hell. Not just around herd immunity but also around what level of protection vaccination might be able to offer.

Lots of questions in other words, not enough information, but like Rachel Maddow would say, put a pin in this one and come back to it later.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies

Boy, people want to sell clicks for sure. So long as 99% of people have immunity it does not matter if 1% don't. I feel sorry for those 1%, but that won't have any major effect on slowing herd immunity. Right now all evidence is the vast majority of people get it once and done.

SHOCKING NEWS (that it is not BS)

A trump appointed flunky says the following in public:

Top HHS official says 'simple' behavior changes would curb pandemic
I think we need to be very selective. Sure, if we shut everything down again, that would do it, but we don’t need to. But remember, there’s a tremendous health cost to shutting down — mental, emotional, substance use, but also no cancer screenings, no vaccines, all those other things,” he said.

So let’s do what we know really works. Like I said, avoid bars because they really spread, restaurant capacity down 50 percent, hand hygiene and please wear a mask in public, that’s really, really, really important. We’ve got to have 90 or 95 percent adherence to that and we can achieve the same results.
That is a clarion call for mandated mask use. It is also the White House trying to marginalize Fauci, but at least the replacement is not a complete moron.

Last edited:
Due to the increasing popularity of our weekly Moron Spray Awards, we are announcing a second winner for this week's competition: Betsy DeVos. Seen here on CNN. Note CNN anchor in medically induced coma so she does not have to listen to Betsy's claptrap.

In this case, Betsy is oblivious to the comatose state of the anchor and continues rambling on, explaining about how it's really good to force all the schools to open particularly in areas where the virus is spreading out of control because there is no evidence that kids either catch or transmit the virus or that it has any negative effects in kids and that they are going to withhold Aid from any school that does not fully reopen this fall.

So she gets not just the weekly award for Stupidity but also an Honorable Mention for Trumpesque bullying.

20200712_162955.jpg

Why did you post the same video in response to me? Did you think that is a different video?

Seriously click on

https://twitter.com/evilweasel24/status/1282109022305386496 and https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1282106395307806720?s=20 and they both play the same video on twitter.

If you are new to twitter that is called a retweet, evilweasel24 essentially reposted JennyENicholson's content.

If you were trying to make a point other than to discuss how many people are sharing that video, then just posting that URL isn't a good way to make that point.

Last edited:
@dfwatt, I know you are working 24/7 handing out awards but would you please consider a Covid-19 induced dementia award ?
As evidence of need, I present the Surgeon General of the US who tells us that
Surgeon general says U.S. can reverse coronavirus surge in a few weeks 'if everyone does their part'

Federal mandate of mask use is a bad idea because a trump priority is that BLM

---
This is the same imbecile who went public in March/April to dissuade mask use because he discounted infection from asymptomatic infections (a position I still view as reasonable although up in the air) but could not imagine the possibility of symptomatic trumpers out and about. His dementia has rapidly advanced and he now has frank delusions.

Last edited:
@dfwatt, I know you are working 24/7 handing out awards but would you please consider a Covid-19 induced dementia award ?
As evidence of need, I present the Surgeon General of the US who tells us that
Surgeon general says U.S. can reverse coronavirus surge in a few weeks 'if everyone does their part'

Federal mandate of mask use is a bad idea because a trump priority is that BLM

I apologize sagebrush I am hopelessly behind. We are back logged on orders for Moron Spray and now on vetting candidates for our increasingly popular Moron Awards. Morons are proliferating faster than I can possibly play whack-a-mole. I need to hire some help!

It's for sure a good question but I've never seen formal data on it. However a lot of epidemiologists have offered that covid-19 has had such a profound effect on behavior ( and yet not enough for sure in large areas of the US!) that it will reduce flu Seasons, colds, and a host of other infectious diseases. But of course that's still just an attractive speculation at this point without enough data to know for sure
Data from Australia says big decrease in flu this year.

• Informative
Reactions: dfwatt