Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday's update was a tiny bit more encouraging, despite the record large absolute numbers increase:
Code:
# "Italy" daily new infections log:
Mar 02:   354 new cases,   2080 total cases (+17.0%)  #######
Mar 03:   495 new cases,   2575 total cases (+19.2%)  #########
Mar 04:   605 new cases,   3180 total cases (+19.0%)  ############
Mar 05:   784 new cases,   3964 total cases (+19.7%)  ###############
Mar 06:   821 new cases,   4785 total cases (+17.1%)  ################
Mar 07:  1249 new cases,   6034 total cases (+20.6%)  ########################
Mar 08:  1499 new cases,   7533 total cases (+19.8%)  #############################

# "France" daily new infections log:
Mar 01:    31 new cases,    129 total cases (+23.8%)  #
Mar 02:    61 new cases,    190 total cases (+31.9%)  ###
Mar 03:    21 new cases,    211 total cases ( +9.9%)  #
Mar 04:    73 new cases,    284 total cases (+25.6%)  ####
Mar 05:   138 new cases,    422 total cases (+32.6%)  ########
Mar 06:   190 new cases,    612 total cases (+30.9%)  ###########
Mar 07:   337 new cases,    949 total cases (+35.4%)  ####################
Mar 08:   260 new cases,   1209 total cases (+21.4%)  ###############

Italy is at least leveling off, and in France the exponent decreased by a lot. It might be a fluke (daily fluctuations are significant), or might be the start of a trend. We'll know more from today's reports as more people might go to see a doctor on a Monday, after the weekend.

Austria too has a significant reduction in the exponent, Switzerland is leveling off after the first spike, while further up north Norway had a big drop down to 9.5%, while Sweden had an increase.

China is by far in the best shape - with new infections dropping below the 0.01% level and Hubei setting a new record low daily infections number - they are 4 weeks ahead in the outbreak.

@Fact Checking
Thanks for the update. Is there a source (link) were to gather this statistic-information?

A little perspective: I am sure it has been stated but it bears repeating: In the US only this year, influenza has caused 32 million illnesses, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths. Corona virus globally this year has caused 111,317 infections and 3,892 deaths.

290,810,000 population in 2003, and in that year, approx. 2,419,900 deaths occurred in total, giving a crude death rate of 832 deaths per 100,00. AS of 2020, the CIA estimates US crude death rate will be 8.3 per 1000 and global rate of 7.7 per 1000. (wikipedia)

A little perspective: I am sure it has been stated but it bears repeating: In the US only this year, influenza has caused 32 million illnesses, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths. Corona virus globally this year has caused 111,317 infections and 3,892 deaths.

290,810,000 population in 2003, and in that year, approx. 2,419,900 deaths occurred in total, giving a crude death rate of 832 deaths per 100,00. AS of 2020, the CIA estimates US crude death rate will be 8.3 per 1000 and global rate of 7.7 per 1000. (wikipedia)
Does your perspective take into account that flu season is ongoing, and that the impact of Covid-19 cases will be on top of flu cases? :rolleyes:

Yesterday's update was a tiny bit more encouraging, despite the record large absolute numbers increase:

Code:
# "Italy" daily new infections log:
Mar 02:   354 new cases,   2080 total cases (+17.0%)  #######
Mar 03:   495 new cases,   2575 total cases (+19.2%)  #########
Mar 04:   605 new cases,   3180 total cases (+19.0%)  ############
Mar 05:   784 new cases,   3964 total cases (+19.7%)  ###############
Mar 06:   821 new cases,   4785 total cases (+17.1%)  ################
Mar 07:  1249 new cases,   6034 total cases (+20.6%)  ########################
Mar 08:  1499 new cases,   7533 total cases (+19.8%)  #############################

# "France" daily new infections log:
Mar 01:    31 new cases,    129 total cases (+23.8%)  #
Mar 02:    61 new cases,    190 total cases (+31.9%)  ###
Mar 03:    21 new cases,    211 total cases ( +9.9%)  #
Mar 04:    73 new cases,    284 total cases (+25.6%)  ####
Mar 05:   138 new cases,    422 total cases (+32.6%)  ########
Mar 06:   190 new cases,    612 total cases (+30.9%)  ###########
Mar 07:   337 new cases,    949 total cases (+35.4%)  ####################
Mar 08:   260 new cases,   1209 total cases (+21.4%)  ###############

Italy is at least leveling off, and in France the exponent decreased by a lot. It might be a fluke (daily fluctuations are significant), or might be the start of a trend. We'll know more from today's reports as more people might go to see a doctor on a Monday, after the weekend.

Austria too has a significant reduction in the exponent, Switzerland is leveling off after the first spike, while further up north Norway had a big drop down to 9.5%, while Sweden had an increase.

China is by far in the best shape - with new infections dropping below the 0.01% level and Hubei setting a new record low daily infections number - they are 4 weeks ahead in the outbreak.

IMHO announcing a trend from day-to-day fluctuations is misleading, even if you afterwards admit it might be just fluctuations.

This was posted here before - no individual countries, but due to the greater amount of data much smaller statistical error. Anything levelling off? Not that I see. Wake up, everyone.

hgcoronavirus-gnuplot-predictionlogistic-withoutchina.png

Corona virus

Last edited:
Incomplete information makes this whole situation particularly annoying. I could make a pretty good model for estimating the actual number of cases in each area if I knew not just diagnoses in each area, but the # of tests conducted in each area, and how the targets of the tests were allocated. Also correlating current air travel figures for people traveling round trip A->B->A, with the # of people diagnosed in A after returning from B, relative to the rate of testing conducted in A relative to how the tests are allocated.

I'm sure CDC and WHO have such models. Would be great to have them public-facing. Because these "# of diagnoses" metrics are horribly misleading.

Paywalled article:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/health-and-medicine/article241018106.html#storylink=mainstage_lead

Dr. Peter Beilenson said the local [Sacramento / Northern California] laboratory has been constrained because it hasn’t been able to get more testing kits from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“We have 20 tests that we can do a day,” he said. “We’re obviously full every day. ... It’s clearly a shortcoming of the CDC, in terms of not having enough tests out there.”

Dr. Theresa Cheng, a senior emergency room resident who works at several hospitals, said it’s true that doctors don’t have the ability to run as many tests as they need, but individual hospitals are developing their own testing capability. Stanford University, for instance, is now running tests for its patients.

At one hospital where she had worked on Friday, she said, doctors wanted to rule out the possibility of the new coronavirus, but the county health department said they didn’t have the capacity to send someone to pick up the samples. Consumers should know, though, that medical experts are working to identify the best path forward.

“I overheard a conference call that involved chief medical officers of hospitals all throughout the state,” she said. “Even though I was in Oakland, I heard people calling in from San Diego and L.A., and all these experts at their own institutions are coming together and sharing advice and key practices. I think that people are putting in a lot of work and taking this extremely seriously and trying to act as quickly as possible.”

It's not MY perspective, it is just the objective facts. I'm not short but maybe you are.

To be fair, everyone understands and nobody disputes the fact that total flu deaths are currently higher. The concern is that this goes pandemic - which it's looking likely to do - wherein the total number of COVID-19 deaths would be significantly higher than the total number of flu deaths, since its CFR is higher. It's not about the present; it's about the clear path where things are heading.

A couple things can prevent this figure.
  • Regional quarantines - though this looks to have failed.
  • Expansive testing increases. Possible, but scaleup has been going slowly, and it's not clear that everyone's willing to pay for tens of millions of tests per week.
  • Antivirals. Does not prevent disease transmission, but could reduce the severity of infections down to that of a typical flu. Probably a couple months before they're available.
  • Vaccines. But it's going to be a long time before they're ready.

Not just a flu bro.

Can't believe this is still happening this late in the Pandemic.

Coronavirus: State Department warns against cruise ship travel

"U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship," the State Department wrote in its warning.

The CDC reports those with underlying health issues and older travel should avoid cruise ships altogether, along with long airplane trips and crowded places. Tips from the CDC while aboard a cruise ship, which the government entity said should be "especially" avoided, include:
  • Avoid contact with sick people.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Clean your hands often by washing them with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60%–95% alcohol. Soap and water should be used if hands are visibly dirty.
    • It is especially important to clean hands after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose.
  • Avoid traveling if you are sick.
  • If you get sick with fever or new or worsening cough or difficulty breathing during your cruise, stay in your cabin and notify the onboard medical center immediately.
seems like stronger language discouraging air travel is inevitable despite the US federal government's slow walking of their response.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
IMHO, there's not "enough" until every single person who has flu symptoms can get tested. :Þ

I agree with a lot of what you say, but we'll have to agree to disagree here. Universal testing would be expensive and pointless. No epidemiologist ever recommends universal testing.

Testing for those with symptoms and especially at-risk populations is appropriate (it's what we do for influenza). Testing EVERYONE, nope.

• Disagree
Reactions: GaryW
I agree with a lot of what you say, but we'll have to agree to disagree here. Universal testing would be expensive and pointless. No epidemiologist ever recommends universal testing.

Testing for those with symptoms and especially at-risk populations is appropriate (it's what we do for influenza). Testing EVERYONE, nope.

She said people with flu symptoms. Is there some other easy way to differentiate patients with flu symptoms and COVID-19 symptoms?

Seems like the focus for testing should be in areas with high incidence of COVID-19 to avoid overwhelming medical facilities. Get people to self-quarantine at home as much as possible and avoid spreading. Not sure how successful that would be, but it at least may reassure the public that they are doing something.

Last edited:
She said people with flu symptoms. Is there some other easy way to differentiate patients with flu symptoms and COVID-19 symptoms?

Seems like the focus for testing should be in areas with high incidence of COVID-19 to avoid overwhelming medical facilities. Get people to self-quarantine at home as much as possible and avoid spreading. Not sure how successful that would be, but it at least may reassure the public that they are doing something.

You are correct. I need more coffee. Damn daylight savings.