Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to see they're doubling down on the "nothing to see here" strategy that's obviously working so well... :rolleyes:

The concerning thing is there are lots of people who actually take it as fact and is completely disregarding this as a nothing burger.
Just like with driving, this is the type of people you want to be wary of.

I have no idea why people are stocking up on toilet paper. Maybe they have very active cats. I'll let the medical professionals here answer the symptoms question.

I have no idea with the TP either. But, I am going to be waiting in line at Costco in the morning because my house actually NEEDS toilet paper and paper towel. Unfortunately, we've waited until near the end of our stock to replenish.

Young and unafraid of the coronavirus? Good for you. Now stop killing people | Opinion
I would rather look back on this time two years from now and say, "That was a silly overreaction to an annoying bug," than say, "I wish we could have been more prepared."

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Here in the Santa Clara County (Silicon Valley)

Some private schools are self closing until April, public schools (my daughters) is limiting trips, events, no spectators at athletic events. Swim meets are cancelled. I am told that the schools are cleaned or "disinfected" regularly (nights and weekends). These measures are managed by the individual schools (private) and the public schools are being managed by their individual districts.

Students who stay home from school are counted as absent but will not be penalized due to Covid19 (they are not supported by the teachers to continue learning at home, yet). Schools are considering sending all students home and are investigating remote teaching.

Both of my daughters are still attending school and when I help out in math class, everything seems normal.

do you think that practicing social isolation, avoiding public gatherings, restricting those with fever and cough, all of which are aimed at minimizing human transmission chains, are those all over reactions?
No, I consider them all appropriate.
And I wear a face mask when I leave home and enter public buildings despite my state of NM having only found a handful of infected people in the last few days and none before. I presume community spread.

These are all common-sense public health behaviors.
FUD is not. Panic over test availability is not. Tumper jingoism is not. Pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking for a vaccine/med in the next few weeks/months is not. Widespread testing of suspected Covid-19 for Epi reasons is good practice for reasons I have posted before but it is not a panacea for smart behavior.

My major objection to so many posting here is the strident screaming what others should do or did not do instead of the key: universal, compliant public health behavior.

Last edited:
A week ago, Italy had so few cases of corona that it could give each stricken patient high-quality care.

Today, some hospitals are so overwhelmed that they simply cannot treat every patient. They are starting to do wartime triage.

Report from the Italian medical association giving a heads up to other countries
Yascha Mounk on Twitter

This of course is not a surprise at all as that's exactly what happened in China two months ago, and additionally has been predicted for weeks and weeks. We'll see the same thing in the US shortly unless extreme measures are not rolled out. It's really been "fantastic" to watch this denial trainwreck in slow motion. Talk about dumb. This has literally been the most preventable and obvious crisis on record.

It's an interesting study in arrogance ("our healthcare system is great"), stupidity ("maybe if we do nothing it will go away"), wishful thinking ("the warm weather will make it go away"), and lack of ability to comprehend exponential growth ("the numbers are nice and low right now"). But not really that interesting I suppose, as it was all extremely obvious weeks ago. Mostly it's an interesting study in stupidity.

Some further thoughts:

We'll be in Italy's situation in roughly 3 weeks in some areas of the US unless extreme measures are taken (it looks like they are being taken now, but unclear exactly how well they will work - they should slow things down a bit for sure). But I assume everyone on this thread knows that already of course.

The lowest cost (both in life and economic terms) solution is probably to go into full lockdown now in any place with known community spread at any level. We do have the advantage of a fairly low density nation so not everywhere has to go into lockdown, but everyone in healthcare nationwide should exercise extreme vigilance...assuming we can test now. Can we test yet??? Are we allowed??? The incompetence and lack of leadership has been really stunning, even to me, who had low expectations to start with.

Last edited:
bringing this back to cars (you guys remember cars, right?) - I can see spending more alone-time on my car (not a bad thing) driving to work while late at night (on occasion) - doing some work that had to be done there, then getting back in the car and driving home (being careful about 'inside car vs outside car' cleanliness). we have free charging at work and so the commute cost is essentially nothing, the road will be mostly empty for the next few weeks (or longer, sigh) and so if I need to go back and forth to work a few times a day - well - its time I get to spend in my 3! ;)

I'm not enthused about being around people, but I am going to miss 'car time' if I self-isolate too much.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
300+ cases in WA confirmed, >40 dead. School cancelled for 2 weeks. and that would definitely hit GDP, even if hopefully everyone stays healthy. Get ready USA : (
Where do you see that ?

366 positive, 29 dead is what I see. 3037 -ve.

ps :

They are now doing nearly 1,000 tests a day and getting about 10% positive.

This is from yesterday.

267 +ve/ 2175 -ve. 24 deaths.

Last edited:
News from Denmark
Danish PM just announced following on national TV:
  • School shutdown starting Friday. Two weeks. Maybe more...
  • Public employees are sent home - with full pay - likewise two weeks. Being one myself I expect to do remote work (job: IT consultant) but situation unclear right now as to priorities.
  • Private employers are encouraged to allow all workers to remote, if possible.
  • Core staff: health care, police, military, key government officials and personnel are off course not sent home.
  • Special procedures to care to elderly and vulnerable.
  • Most invasive public measure since WW2
  • No public assemblies above 100 persons. (And that seems likely to decrease further)
Pretty sure I am forgetting stuff, but feel free to ask questions.

Recall a bit more:
  • The 100 person limit is applicable for large gatherings: concerts, parties, social events. It used to be 1000 person limit. Restaurants, pubs, cafeterias and so on are heavily encouraged and expected to close for two weeks.
  • Supermarkets must keep open. Steps are taken to ensure supplies (steps not specified)
  • Emergency laws are in the process of being drafted
  • The bad curve (virus spike) and the better flattened curve were much discussed in relation to keeping available healthcare resources within the bound of the curve directly referencing Wuhan and Italy.
  • PM used phrases like: "We do this out of an abundance of caution". Also: "Better to act today than to regret tomorrow!". This was in somewhat defiant reference to members of press core accusing the PM and government of overreacting.
  • Health care 'Treatment guarantee' suspended until further notice. (see note)

My impression is that these measures are perceived as very harsh. However PM Mette Frederiksen is also grudgingly admired for her strong leadership in handling this crisis. She is said to have pushed the cabinet hard for a quick escalation of measures.

Re "treatment guarantee":
Background: Denmark has tax-financed universal healthcare for all citizens, with no out of pocket payments (excluding drugs). However, in 80's, 90's and partially 0's waiting list for operations were *long*. Thus, a 'treatment guarantee' was instituted around 15 years ago. So, if treatment cannot be provided within 2 months the patient can then choose another hospital, including private hospitals - still fully paid. (Guarantee is for non-critical operations. Critical operations must be performed a lot quicker but I don't know the details)
That 2 month guarantee was suspended today.
This suspension is perceived to be somewhat big in a danish context since older people recall with zero nostalgia the long queuing for operations in days past. The suspension of this well-liked privilege is seen as a measure of the hard times and a foreboding of further hardship ahead.

I have no idea why people are stocking up on toilet paper. Maybe they have very active cats. I'll let the medical professionals here answer the symptoms question.

https://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(20)30281-X/fulltext

'2 Notably, the first case of 2019-nCoV infection confirmed in the United States reported a 2-day history of nausea and vomiting on admission, and then passed a loose bowel movement on hospital day 2. The viral nucleic acids of loose stool and both respiratory specimens later tested positive.3 In addition, 2019-nCoV sequence could be also detected in the self-collected saliva of most infected patients even not in nasopharyngeal aspirate, and serial saliva specimens monitoring showed declines of salivary viral load after hospitalization.4 Given that extrapulmonary detection of viral RNA does not mean infectious virus is present, further positive viral culture suggests the possibility of salivary gland infection and possible transmission.4 More recently, two independent laboratories from China declared that they have successfully isolated live 2019-nCoV from the stool of patients (unpublished). Taken together, a growing number of clinical evidence reminds us that digestive system other than respiratory system may serve as an alternative route of infection when people are in contact with infected wild animals or sufferers, and asymptomatic carriers or individuals with mild enteric symptoms at an early stage must have been neglected or underestimated in previous investigations. Next, clinicians should be careful to promptly identify the patients with initial gastrointestinal symptoms, and explore the duration of infectivity with delayed viral conversion'

so, who wants to be under curfew, with COVID-19 diarrhea, and run out of toilet paper?

getting an extra fortnight supply is just common sense, not stupidity.

I think I might have the distinction of being the first COVID-19 positive member of TMC. My wife is a provider in Kirkland WA, and was exposed at work. She came down with symptoms Sunday evening, and I came down with almost the exact same symptoms a few hours later. We were only able to get her tested, because she is a health care worker. Normal people can not get tested unless they are bad enough to be hospitalized. Her results came in this morning and she was a "strong positive." We both are miserable, but so far our symptoms are on the mild end of the spectrum. It is very scary. Hopefully our symptoms will remain mild. We also know a number of other health workers who have been infected and had much, much worse times of it, than we have so far. This is definitely not just another flu. We are extremely afraid for ourselves, our parents, our community, and the economy.
I'm so sorry to hear about illness and your fears. May you and your wife be well soon.