Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends upon the circumstances.

1) how many people are in an Amazon warehouse? Hundreds, dozens, less? Amazon LOVES their robots in the warehouse (see videos online).
2) pandemic or non-pandemic circumstances? $25/h is a F-ing nice paycheck for someone with a high-school or less education and minimal training. Is this guy wanting a Dr's salary without the work to get there?

Part, not all, of this smacks to me of entitlement. Why are we rewarding people that don't want to go further their education (and I'm not talking about necessarily college - could be vocational school - I VALUE the $100/h I pay an electrician every time they come to do work)?
You said better than me

Reactions: MitchMitch
$25/hr is $52k a year for a single earner, or $104k for a family with two incomes. They are actually paying significant income tax at that pay. Maybe that's what he is angry about?

My son applied at our Amazon warehouse last June. $14/hr for day shift with 2 years college (summer job). Southern California. I ended up paying him as an intern at our lab instead.
Note that California has the highest taxes in the country and the rent is not that cheap either. 1 br studio $1400/m. Gas was over $4 a gallon.

It would be clear to me that you are the kind of person want the cake and eat it too, and good at complaining at every opportunity. He accepted the job with more pay than usual, and not just complained about the work place, also complain about the pay. Why would he accept the job to begin with? If any circumstance suitable for complaints should come from those healthcare workers at the front line that are mandated to provide services to covid patients in a very dangerous situation.

BINGO.

I recently had an employee try something similar with me. He is a programmer, one step above entry level. He was complaining that people in the company that had been around less time than him were making 2X as much, even though they are architect-level programmers (i.e. the guys that manage the teams, check everyone's code, etc.).

I told him I would give him a raise if he went out and improved his skill set. He didn't like that answer so started looking for another job. He found out the hard way that without improving his skill set, he could not justify a higher wage, and came back to me and asked for a pathway to a better position. We set work goals for him to meet, and will re-evaluate his progress at his next employee review.

Sorry millennial, that's how the REAL world works. Throwing a stink because you THINK you deserve more pay, without the skills to back it up, just doesn't work.

New York alone has now exceeded China is fatalities. State governor & NYC mayor should have imposed strict controls when CA & WA did.

The Timeline of How Bill de Blasio Prepared New York City for the Coronavirus

March 2 : “I’m encouraging New Yorkers to go on with your lives and get out on the town despite Coronavirus.”

I get the emotion, I understand; I understand the anxiety. I’m a native-born New Yorker, we live with anxiety. But the facts don’t back it up here. . . . What happened in other countries versus what happened here, we don’t even think it’s going to be as bad as it was in other countries.”
And UK's fatalities for yesterday was 708. More than that of Spain (and likely Italy). They wanted to let it run the course, earlier !

From Politico ...

Yep.

President Donald Trump last month suggested that red, primarily rural areas where he enjoys some of his strongest support have largely avoided the pandemic because they’ve had better local leadership than states on both coasts that were slammed early and hard by the virus.

Trump opined these red states should be allowed to return to work sooner than the rest of the country.

But public health experts say they're most worried about those very areas. Arkansas, South Carolina and Texas do not have statewide stay-at-home orders. Florida and Mississippi enacted one only this week. That puts those states in the virus’ crosshairs, said Nirav Shah, a senior scholar at Stanford University’s Clinical Excellence Research Center.

“The best indicator of who is at risk is how tamped down are you in terms of social distancing,” he said.

Reactions: Dr. J
The first WaWa employee in Philadelphia to test positive was sent home March 26th. If all of North Philly isn't sick as a dog in 4 days, this lockdown isn't necessary and is likely doing far more harm than good.

Social distancing here was completely ignored until about 9 days ago, and even now it's not really being followed. Though I am as of yesterday seeing masks on the gentrifiers at least.

Regions vary, potentially a LOT, but in tight cities where it's already spread I don't think we need to lock down past Easter. Such a large percentage of the population has been exposed, any flattening we hoped to accomplish will have been overdone by a week from now.

Schools and moderately essential businesses should be given the option to open Apr 15th. Maybe set guidelines for restaurants to allow walk-in ordering for takeout again.

Retail and restaurants perhaps 14 days later if all goes well with the first tier.

Obviously wait maybe 4-6 days from now before announcing anything, but start planning. We've painted ourselves into a purely political corner here. Anyone suggesting the reopening of anything ever is just being branded a Trump lunatic. If we keep this mentality, we're going to do a lot more damage.

Origin of COVID-19

Interesting points:

- Definitely comes from nature (no lab developed conspiracy).
- Could be in human for decades (or months). I assume the thinking is unlike SARS, this virus requires multiple mutations. The probability of multiple mutations happening is probably zero. Thus, this virus could be around human for a long time before the final mutation occurs to make it highly infectious.

New York alone has now exceeded China is fatalities. State governor & NYC mayor should have imposed strict controls when CA & WA did.

The Timeline of How Bill de Blasio Prepared New York City for the Coronavirus

March 2 : “I’m encouraging New Yorkers to go on with your lives and get out on the town despite Coronavirus.”

I get the emotion, I understand; I understand the anxiety. I’m a native-born New Yorker, we live with anxiety. But the facts don’t back it up here. . . . What happened in other countries versus what happened here, we don’t even think it’s going to be as bad as it was in other countries.”
And UK's fatalities for yesterday was 708. More than that of Spain (and likely Italy). They wanted to let it run the course, earlier !

And Florida is already about to pass CA in total cases, with half the population.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
For awhile I honestly believed this virus was going to be treated as a microbe instead of a candidate for office.
My hopes were dashed this week.
Not since the AIDS outbreak has another disease been sold as a marketing tool for campaign managers. Until now.
If we decide as a nation to use diseases to run for office, we have only seen the tip of the iceberg.

"Gonorrhea in 2024!"

• Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke
Sorry millennial, that's how the REAL world works.

please don’t generalize. Millennials are in their 30’s. They’re very aware by now. If the person isn’t aware, that means they’re just an idiot.

If that guy was in his early 20’s, which it sounds like he was, he’d have been a Gen Z, like the kids who went to Spring Break in Florida not too long ago.

please don’t generalize. Millennials are in their 30’s. They’re very aware by now. If the person isn’t aware, that means they’re just an idiot.

If that guy was in his early 20’s, which it sounds like he was, he’d have been a Gen Z, like the kids who went to Spring Break in Florida not too long ago.

But generalization is what this thread has become. Look at the political posts about how Trump supporters all have below-average IQs, etc.

When those stop, I'll retract my millennial comments.

In an emergency, you don't necessarily have to go to the ER, an ambulance can take you there. I personally know of a landscaper who was mowing a lawn underneath a beehive, got stung over 100 times. Ambulance took him to the ER and he spent three or four days in the hospital, fortunately fully recovering. The hospital wrote it down to thousand dollars or so or wrote it off completely.

And ambulance rides are free?
Does Insurance Pay the Bill for Expensive Ambulance Rides?

There is also Cobra...

Which would mean you'll also cover what was formerly your employers subsidy. After you just lost your income.

While (unfortunately) not universal for now...

You make it sound like it's just around the corner?