Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'There were 44 (21.6%) patients with cardiovascular diseases, 24 (11.8%) patients with endocrine system diseases, and others with respiratory diseases (9 [4.4%]), malignant tumors (13 [6.3%]) and other disorders as shown in Table 1. After admission, there were 184 (90.2%) patients receiving antiviral treatment (e.g., lopinavir-ritonavir), 141(69.1%) on antibiotics, 80 (39.2%) on glucocorticoids, 96 (47.1%) on nebulized α-interferon, 56 (27.5%) on intravenous immunoglobulin, and 10 (4.9%) on antifungal treatment. Additionally, 16 patients were transferred to the ICU (7.8%), 168 were discharged (82.4%), and 37(17.7%) died. Among the patients, the average hospital stay was 17 days (SD +9.0), and the average length of stay in the ICU was 8.9 days (SD +6.9). '

ECDC data through Apr 3rd, downloaded a few minutes ago

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 6.15.54 AM.jpg

Shout-out to @SMAlset for postng this video tutorial of an easy DIY mask. We picked up a roll of the recommended material at Harbor Freight (polypropylene, for an ~ 0.3 micron filter), some twist ties for shaping and some rubber bands for the ears. My wife said it took a minute or two for each mask. Gauging by the mask movement during breathing it makes a remarkably good seal even without a foam edge. A $4 roll makes about 40 masks

Get it done, people.

Rona with Face Mask.jpg

IHU Mediterranee Infection in Marseille (Didier Raoult's group) has released some testing data. https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/point-sur-lepidemie-de-covid-19-a-marseille/

They have completed a total of 54,957 tests on 29,613 patients, 20,987 of whom were residents of Marseilles, or 2.5% of the population.

16.6% were found infected, but this should be taken with a large grain of salt since there is no indication the testing was random. The CFR is 0.7% to date, with 30 deaths per million population.

I don't think there is any firm conclusion to be drawn from this data since the testing does not appear to be random but it is worth noting because it seems to be one of the highest testing rates in a large population in the world (Iceland may be higher).

Capture-d’écran-2020-04-03-à-09.12.44.png

Last edited:

This just makes me angry.

I think the reporters are asking the wrong question. It is not a matter of style, but a matter of misjudgment. I don't mind of a leader who wants to be optimistic and confident. But it is his misjudgment in January, February, and early March who think this is just bi-partisan politics and completely ignore to prepare US for this coming disease. He wants to protect his economic legacy and completely ignores to prepare for this disease.

If he spent any time on the preparation, just like the South Korean, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, we would only lose hundreds rather than the hundreds of thousands. Our economy would have kept on humming just like those countries rather than completely shut down for months.

It is ironic. He wants to protect his economic legacy and ignore this disease. As a result, this disease destroyed his economic legacy.

Here is a summary of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital's update from yesterday:

"Number covid positive patients: 2,004 549 in ICU, 527 Vented.

We are still looking for additional invasive ventilators.

Additional capacity: we have converted all of the ORS. We are planning to use the Koch building which will give us additional ICU and Bakers field at Columbia.

As we create additional spaces we are growing our teams."

The disturbing question to answer is how does this video get a single downvote. It's just a minimally edited video summation of the president's stance on the coronavirus from the beginning. A stance of denial, minimization, and self-congratulation. Only if you accept the supposition of a cult of the personality surrounding Trump (which by the way is typically seen in dictatorships protecting a sociopathic leader) does the depiction of this cross some kind of Line in the Sand. Wake up guys! This is who our leader really is.

Ironic: The crew from the USS Roosevelt crowded into huge pack on the hanger deck, and started yelling and whistling. No one was acting like there was a contagion:

I down voted you because the crew can’t act like there is a contagion.

1k Sailors were removed from the ship already, and the ones remaining may have already and not know it. Regardless of this gathering, the food is still likely served in small areas, the berthings are hundred of people literally stacked three high, and the showers are small and cramped and already have the mystery shower-shitter in them, let alone the corona virus. The hallways are tiny, the shops are tiny, there aren’t enough lounges to even attempt true social isolation aboard.

They are supposed to test and remove an additional 2.7k Sailors from the ship, and the testing will help prevent the spread—far more effectively than cramming into a space left vacant.

The crew would have been much, much worse off had the CO not sacrificed his career for them, and they know it. So they send off their CO like the hero he is.

My understanding is that if someone shows up at a hospital ER in need of treatment, they will be treated, health insurance or no health insurance. If the person cannot afford to pay the bill, they can either negotiate a smaller amount (with the help of people who do this for a living) or they simply cannot pay and the hospital may end up eating the cost.

If this representation of mine is inaccurate, someone currently working in hospitals please chime in.

The law is that the hospital ER must "stabilize them" or transfer them to a facility that can stabilize them. In the current pandemic, that would probably mean full COVID-19 treatment if they showed up in respiratory distress.

If they are not in distress, the ER can deny them care. These cases are always fraught with legal complications, so we always had to document things in enormous detail in case the hospital was sued (rarely the docs are sued in this case, since the decision is outside of our scope).

The distinction is in place to prevent people from abusing the ER as a catch all for chronic conditions that do no qualify as emergent.