Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The numbers this thing puts out are way too high! And I'm one of the ones who thinks the IFR is between 1% and 2%! (It predicts a male with no pre-existing conditions of age 20-39 has a 0.45% chance of dying!) Someone should weight these probabilities over the demographic pyramid. Probably it will come up with 5% or something.

I guess if it is reporting the current risk of death given you have tested positive, the numbers it produces may be close. Your probability of dying is currently much higher if you have tested positive. If you have not been tested (but are positive), your risk of dying of the disease is lower, currently. (One should not draw the wrong conclusions from these statements.)

Presumably over time as testing increases, the risk of death given you have tested positive will converge to the risk of the general positive but untested population.

My risk of death appears to be 2.65%. I believe that is about 40 times too high. (I have no pre-existing conditions, so figure I'm about 4x less likely to die than the ~0.3% or so general risk in my age group.)

But 0.075% is a fantastically high risk of death!

That's my estimate as well Alan it's about 40 to 35 times elevated from what I calculate as my rough risk of mortality from this disease.

Obvious explanation is that the same folks running that are running the Florida unemployment website.

• Funny
Reactions: deonb and bkp_duke
Here is a summary of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital's update from yesterday:

"Monday: 1448—512 on vents

Today: 1349—466 on vents

So far 9,500 admitted, and discharged well over 6,000

We don’t think the whitehouse should do away with the task force. We think we should double down on the task force. Here in New York we are going to see very cautious reopening.
We are going to be expanding to a number of patients soon and renew some of our services

Clinical developments:

Vaccines is an interesting topic. There are over 90-100 different developmental programs for vaccines, some of which have even started being tested on humans. There are 7-8 different methodologies to try out.

We need to prove they are safe and effective and then we need to prove, can these vaccines prevent the virus from taking hold—this is what takes time.

Starting next week we are going to start offering our antibody tests to our healthcare workers. It is unclear what the results mean. Even if you test positive on a good test, it’s still not clear if you have immunity. In no way should you consider yourself immune.

PPE: still in good supply but we still need to conserve."

Here is a summary of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital's update from yesterday:

"Monday: 1448—512 on vents

Today: 1349—466 on vents

So far 9,500 admitted, and discharged well over 6,000

We don’t think the whitehouse should do away with the task force. We think we should double down on the task force. Here in New York we are going to see very cautious reopening.
We are going to be expanding to a number of patients soon and renew some of our services

Clinical developments:

Vaccines is an interesting topic. There are over 90-100 different developmental programs for vaccines, some of which have even started being tested on humans. There are 7-8 different methodologies to try out.

We need to prove they are safe and effective and then we need to prove, can these vaccines prevent the virus from taking hold—this is what takes time.

Starting next week we are going to start offering our antibody tests to our healthcare workers. It is unclear what the results mean. Even if you test positive on a good test, it’s still not clear if you have immunity. In no way should you consider yourself immune.

PPE: still in good supply but we still need to conserve."

Thanks for the update. There is one part that doesn't jive with what we know to date:
"Starting next week we are going to start offering our antibody tests to our healthcare workers. It is unclear what the results mean. Even if you test positive on a good test, it’s still not clear if you have immunity. In no way should you consider yourself immune."

If this were true, multiple countries would not be asking people that have recovered to donate convalescent plasma. And convalescent plasma is one of the few things we know makes a big difference for the sickest of patients.

Thoughts?

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel and EinSV
Thanks for the update. There is one part that doesn't jive with what we know to date:
"Starting next week we are going to start offering our antibody tests to our healthcare workers. It is unclear what the results mean. Even if you test positive on a good test, it’s still not clear if you have immunity. In no way should you consider yourself immune."

If this were true, multiple countries would not be asking people that have recovered to donate convalescent plasma. And convalescent plasma is one of the few things we know makes a big difference for the sickest of patients.

Thoughts?

It is bizarre to see the emphasis on how we haven't "proven" in some bank-vault-world-of-absolute-certainty fashion immunity from covid-19 antibodies. There is the South Korean study which does show reinfection does not happen although my recollection of that is that it had a rather small N. I'm not sure why we keep hearing over and over again that immunity has not been proven. I suppose it could emerge from some desire to squash overconfidence and reckless behavior. But it's still in my estimation a mis-emphasis.

Why is we haven't heard of this in reports out of China or Italy? Perhaps not related to COVID-19 but coincidental?
More children hospitalized in New York City with rare condition that may be linked to COVID-19

It's a relatively new finding. In pediatric circles they are still collecting data and talking about the findings.

China - who knows. I've viewed their reports with a large degree of skepticism.
Italy - they have a much older population. Additionally their hospital system was overwhelmed, so more subtle findings like this might have been overlooked in the chaos.

Reactions: TEG
It is bizarre to see the emphasis on how we haven't "proven" in some bank-vault-world-of-absolute-certainty fashion immunity from covid-19 antibodies. There is the South Korean study which does show reinfection does not happen although my recollection of that is that it had a rather small N. I'm not sure why we keep hearing over and over again that immunity has not been proven. I suppose it could emerge from some desire to squash overconfidence and reckless behavior. But it's still in my estimation a mis-emphasis.

This is the problem when in the public's eye and on social media poorly-weighted evidence, or conjecture with no evidence at all, gets the same level of attention as things backed with solid data.

Here's a chart of the deviation of actual deaths through 05/06 vs the 03/30 IHME forecast for each state:

ihme_deaths_check.png

You can see the numbers for the top 25 deviants on the left. I use +-50% for the colors to "zoom in" on the ones closer to the forecast.

The raw data is from covidtracking.com. Note that their US total (67,146) is significantly different from the worldometers.info total for 05/06 (74,799). Which one is correct? I don't know.

Geneva is conducting an 8 week seroprevalance study and the authors released preliminary results from the first three weeks. By the third week of the study (April 20-24), almost 10% of the population tested positive, with the numbers increasing rapidly from week 1 to week 3:

"In the first week, we estimated a seroprevalence of 3.1% (95% CI 0.2-5.99, n=343). This increased to 6.1% (95% CI 2.6-56 9.33, n=416) in the second, and to 9.7% (95% CI 6.1-13.11, n=576) in the third week." https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.02.20088898v1.full.pdf

The authors excluded (actually deferred) individuals who had symptoms or were in quarantine or isolation, so their numbers may underestimate the true prevalance. The authors don't estimate an IFR, but a reddit thread has some interesting details, including an IFR estimate of about 0.49% (or slightly higher or lower depending on assumptions used for lag times of antibody test and fatalities).

According to one post, the fatalities in Geneva are heavily concentrated in the over 80 age group, with only 2 fatalities in the under 50 age group:

30-39 years: 2

50-59 years: 6

60-69 years: 11

70-79 years: 46

80+ years: 180

All others are 0

Repeated seroprevalence of anti-SARS-CoV-2 IgG antibodies in a population-based sample from Geneva, Switzerland : COVID19

Will be interesting to watch as there are five more weeks of testing to conduct/analyze in the study.

Last edited:
Here's a chart of the deviation of actual deaths through 05/06 vs the 03/30 IHME forecast for each state:

View attachment 539495

You can see the numbers for the top 25 deviants on the left. I use +-50% for the colors to "zoom in" on the ones closer to the forecast.

The raw data is from covidtracking.com. Note that their US total (67,146) is significantly different from the worldometers.info total for 05/06 (74,799). Which one is correct? I don't know.

One likely difference is the inclusion of "probable" deaths. (Above 5,300 for NYC, one of the places where the number is reported.)

If you are using covidtracking.com data, it will be interesting to see that map in 2 weeks. (EDIT: Actually, either way.)

Geneva is conducting an 8 week seroprevalance study and the authors released preliminary results from the first three weeks. By the third week of the study (April 20-24), almost 10% of the population tested positive, with the numbers increasing rapidly from week 1 to week 3:

"In the first week, we estimated a seroprevalence of 3.1% (95% CI 0.2-5.99, n=343). This increased to 6.1% (95% CI 2.6-56 9.33, n=416) in the second, and to 9.7% (95% CI 6.1-13.11, n=576) in the third week." https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.02.20088898v1.full.pdf

The authors excluded (actually deferred) individuals who had symptoms or were in quarantine or isolation, so their numbers may underestimate the true prevalance. The authors don't estimate an IFR, but a reddit thread has some interesting details, including an IFR estimate of about 0.49% (or slightly higher or lower depending on assumptions used for lag times of antibody test and fatalities).

According to one post, the fatalities in Geneva are heavily concentrated in the over 80 age group, with only 2 fatalities in the under 50 age group:

30-39 years: 2

50-59 years: 6

60-69 years: 11

70-79 years: 46

80+ years: 180

All others are 0

Repeated seroprevalence of anti-SARS-CoV-2 IgG antibodies in a population-based sample from Geneva, Switzerland : COVID19

Will be interesting to watch as there are five more weeks of testing to conduct/analyze in the study.

And you left out the most important part which is that none of this has been peer-reviewed. The worst example of people treating non peer-reviewed datasets as vetted was of course the joke Santa Clara study where they used grotesquely non-standard recruitment, and cooked statistics. This data looks like it's less biased but without peer review and without doing a deep dive on all kinds of issues, there's no way of knowing.

Reactions: kbM3
And you left out the most important part which is that none of this has been peer-reviewed. The worst example of people treating non peer-reviewed datasets as vetted was of course the joke Santa Clara study where they used grotesquely non-standard recruitment, and cooked statistics. This data looks like it's less biased but without peer review and without doing a deep dive on all kinds of issues, there's no way of knowing.

One thing that just looks funny to a naive layman is that it looks like each week they broke the previous confidence interval. I might be mistaken since I don't really know much about confidence intervals. (EDIT: Probably the infection level actually increased, just looks funny because each time it is a littbit above the previous CI.)

If you want to read the best investigative report about what has been happening in Lombardy, the most hit Italian region by Coronavirus, you can read it here:
Two months that shook Lombardy - Il Post

Allegedly, oneof the major culprits is their private health system, that in decades drained money and resources from the public one. But it's a long article and there are very interesting things inside. I recommend it.

I think Cases of patients in nursing homes/ care facilities should be ignored when considering re-opening. They are by definition not in the public. Some of the stats show that 20 to 50% of all cases are in those care facilities which is really tragic and needs immediate attention.
"not in the public?" Someone would wonder how those care facilities got COVID-19 in first place if they are so safe. :rolleyes:

It's never been tried before.
That you never heard about it does not means "never been tried before". Ever heard about Spanish Flu?

In general I see COVID-19 pulled out of woodworks various crazies, conspiracy theorists, snake oil peddlers, Trump apologists and other mentally ill people. I guess I should have expected it.

This kind of thing is why people outside USA think about USA as country of gun-toting rightwing loonies. And don't even get me start on what Trump did to USA's reputation world-wide.

That you never heard about it does not means "never been tried before". Ever heard about Spanish Flu?

In general I see COVID-19 pulled out of woodworks various crazies, conspiracy theorists, snake oil peddlers, Trump apologists and other mentally ill people. I guess I should have expected it.

This kind of thing is why people outside USA think about USA as country of gun-toting rightwing loonies. And don't even get me start on what Trump did to USA's reputation world-wide.

Why yes! Our president was gravely ill with H1N1, close to death during the Paris Armistice talks with Germany, IIRC. He was hallucinating and could not get out of bed.

EDIT added: Spanish Influenza in the President's Neighborhood

However the USA did NOT shut down. Please read up on your history before correcting people. Thanks in advance.

Influenza-flyer.jpg

upload_2020-5-7_9-2-42.gif

ps - if you read the thread, I believe this was already covered

Last edited: