Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really thought that California was following the science ... yet here we are with CA daily cases/million soaring. How many more masks can they wear? How much more locked down can they get?

Is it possible that the "science" is simply wrong?

The places that are getting hit are Southern California and the agricultural regions. The Bay Area is doing better than most of the state. I haven't seen the specific data on the most recent outbreak in California, but the first wave in the late spring hit the poor much harder than anyone else. If we had maps that broke down counties by neighborhoods I would not be surprised if the more affluent neighborhoods in Los Angeles county were doing better than the poorer ones.

At one point in late spring my sister's county Kern County was the worst in the western US. She said it was due to an outbreak at the Tehachapi prison combined with a bad outbreak in the migrant worker's camps around the county. Kern County is one of the biggest ag counties in the country. Every year Fresno, Kern, and Tulare county compete to see which one has the highest total dollar value for its crops among all counties in the world. One of the three counties is always #1.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
The places that are getting hit are Southern California and the agricultural regions. The Bay Area is doing better than most of the state. I haven't seen the specific data on the most recent outbreak in California, but the first wave in the late spring hit the poor much harder than anyone else. If we had maps that broke down counties by neighborhoods I would not be surprised if the more affluent neighborhoods in Los Angeles county were doing better than the poorer ones.

At one point in late spring my sister's county Kern County was the worst in the western US. She said it was due to an outbreak at the Tehachapi prison combined with a bad outbreak in the migrant worker's camps around the county. Kern County is one of the biggest ag counties in the country. Every year Fresno, Kern, and Tulare county compete to see which one has the highest total dollar value for its crops among all counties in the world. One of the three counties is always #1.
In LA County, positivity and deaths/day have tripled in one month:

www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/data/index.htm

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
I really thought that California was following the science ... yet here we are with CA daily cases/million soaring. How many more masks can they wear? How much more locked down can they get?

As "liberal" as California is - 1/3 still voted for Trump. So we still have a bunch of "people" driving around their big pick ups trucks with big American and Trump flags. With 40 million people, one-third the population - 13 million - is still larger than 46 states.

As "liberal" as California is - 1/3 still voted for Trump. So we still have a bunch of "people" driving around their big pick ups trucks with big American and Trump flags. With 40 million people, one-third the population - 13 million - is still larger than 46 states.
LA county went 71-27 for Biden in 2020 ... yet their numbers are way up:

LA County Daily COVID-19 Data - LA County Department of Public Health

Maybe it's only the Trump supporters causing those numbers to rise so much? What does the "science" tell you?

California has lucked out on the budget, big time. Instead of a $54B deficit, they have a $26B surplus this year. Lots of capital gains taxes from the tech stock boom.

California can use its windfall to help out businesses that are struggling. Congress won't do it. It would be good if the state used some of its surplus to provide relief for shuttered businesses rather than pile it up in the rainy day fund. Keep these business from going under, and you may not need the rainy day fund next year.

Reactions: Dave EV

In early November the restrictions were much looser. The surging hospitalizations reflect virus spreading before the newest stay-home orders were issued.

How much more locked down can they get? A lot! Trust me, we are nowhere near a full Wuhan. In Wuhan they banned you from stepping outside your home, even for groceries (which became delivery only). Wuhan saw cases plunge to zero in just six weeks.

I’m really sick and tired of claims that the US is locked down. As others mentioned, nowhere in the US was any city close to anything remotely looking like a Wuhan lockdown. For crying out loud.

Even in liberal CA, and in the most liberal cities, you will find people getting together with family (from different households) and friends without masks. My neighbors are having their family visit for Christmas and New Years. They did so as well during Thanksgiving. A lot of people have a false sense of security that being with people closer to them makes it safer to not wear a mask when together. Most groups of high school kids and college students on break that I see hanging out in public don’t wear masks.

So, how much more can we do? A heck of a lot more, starting with the basics.

Aside: Sorry for the slightly political slant which I know this thread is not about ... I think the ignoring guidelines and denying vaccine when available aspect of COVID19 being politicalized is going to have some negative long term consequences on health not only short term but long term.

Here is an interactive map that show the percentage splits down to the county level. I was surprised by some areas I knew.

Election results maps 2020: See how many people voted, county numbers

Tl211zj.jpg
The last map is not a valid comparison. It needs to show deaths per number of population. Most of the red counties have few people in them compared to the urban ones. Even if they were to all die it wouldn’t necessarily look bad.

Exactly. Absolute numbers give us little information. "Relative" numbers are what we need to see. California has @40 million people. That map makes it look bad in California when in reality we are @39th in death rate between states.

U.S. COVID-19 death rate by state | Statista

Population based cases (per 100K) by county. This is not death statistics but some % will follow [occur 2-8 weeks after the onset of COVID-19 symptoms?].

Below via: https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1341561135519174658

ruCyFHV.jpg

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I’m really sick and tired of claims that the US is locked down. As others mentioned, nowhere in the US was any city close to anything remotely looking like a Wuhan lockdown. For crying out loud.

Even in liberal CA, and in the most liberal cities, you will find people getting together with family (from different households) and friends without masks. My neighbors are having their family visit for Christmas and New Years. They did so as well during Thanksgiving. A lot of people have a false sense of security that being with people closer to them makes it safer to not wear a mask when together. Most groups of high school kids and college students on break that I see hanging out in public don’t wear masks.

At a minimum we should have shut down air travel....

Reactions: cwerdna and madodel

California may only have 24% registered Republicans, but the population of the state is so large that California has more registered Republicans than any other state, beating out Texas by a few hundred thousand.

LA county went 71-27 for Biden in 2020 ... yet their numbers are way up:

LA County Daily COVID-19 Data - LA County Department of Public Health

Maybe it's only the Trump supporters causing those numbers to rise so much? What does the "science" tell you?

It's not all about politics. People who are apolitical or even liberal can be idiots. There are people who are spouting the BS from conservative sources and deliberately doing things to put themselves at risk, but there are people who are doing risky things because they are lazy or just tired of behaving.

I found that when I went down to California in October that everywhere south of Eugene, OR people were much more lax about COVID protocol than Eugene north. A family friend who lives in Seattle and travels to California a lot agreed that Californians were much more LAX than the Northwest I-5 corridor. The COVID cases west of the Cascades in the PNW are less than most of the rest of the country.

People who are apolitical or even liberal can be idiots.

A
significant percentage of conservatives have added 'idiot' to their political identity... there's a difference between a liberal that happens to be an idiot and a conservative that intentionally identifies as one. Behaving like a moron 'owns the libs' .... that's all the encouragement they need. I'm a little amazed there hasn't been an epidemic of bleach poisoning... probably because it tastes terrible and burns like hell when injected.

Study: Vitamin D deficiency found in over 80% of COVID-19 patients

Researchers discovered 80% of 216 COVID-19 patients at the Hospital Universitario Marqués de Valdecilla had a vitamin D deficiency. Men had lower levels of vitamin D than women and COVID-19 patients with lower levels of vitamin D had increased serum levels of inflammatory markers such as ferritin, a blood protein containing iron, and D-dimer, a protein fragment made when a blood clot dissolves in the body. The latter is usually elevated in COVID-19 patients, according to a July study published in the “Journal of Intensive Care.”

Reactions: KG M3 and cwerdna
For those who might still be looking for N95 masks...
With the BYD N95s getting approval hopefully the retail market will come back at some point.
As I posted on Nov 29th in another forum:
-- begin --
I was able to order a box of BYD Care N95 Respirator Masks One Size 20PK - Office Depot last night for $49. Unclear if my order will get canceled. Hand sanitizer, masks & more says "Prioritized for Healthcare workers and first responders" whereas the listing says it's reserved for them.

They (model DE2322) are at the bottom of Approved N95 Respirators B Suppliers List | NPPTL | NIOSH | CDC. I can only see part of Chinese Electric-Car Maker Gets U.S. Approval to Supply N95 Masks due to a paywall. I was well aware of BYD and Warren Buffett's investment in them before COVID-19.
-- end --
(Them being at Office Depot will probably only help those in the US.)
I did receive them and each mask is individually in a sealed packet. I split up the box of 20 masks between myself and my parents.

They're back in stock at BYD Care N95 Respirator Masks One Size 20PK - Office Depot right now for $49.99. I've seen them go in and out of stock and the price varying. I think I saw them at $69.99 at one point and another time, they were back up to $109.99, I think.

I have enough for now and have no need to hoard them.