Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if the inpatient number has risen drastically and the ICU beds taken hasn't what's the explanation for that difference?

Do patients that previously qualified for ICU just not get that level of care or are there that many more patients admitted in some sort of limbo where they are bad enough to admit but not bad enough for ICU care?
That is a good observation. I suspect they are at a threshold where the criteria needs to be more severe to take up an ICU bed. I'm pretty sure I've seen formal documents like this (decision tree/table) when AZ had escalated a couple months back.

That is a good observation. I suspect they are at a threshold where the criteria needs to be more severe to take up an ICU bed. I'm pretty sure I've seen formal documents like this (decision tree/table) when AZ had escalated a couple months back.

That is what is going on.
My brother works in a large regional hospital in NorCal and his dept is only admitting patients that can’t get up. You have to be seriously sick to get care right now. Everyone else is being sent home with oxygen. They can come back when they are also falling on the floor.

Here’s an NPR pierce of SoCal, which is doing even worse.
'It's So Much Worse Than Before.' Dread And Despair Haunt Nurses Inside LA's ICUs

Yet, there are people in my community who continually yell on Facebook and Nextdoor to open things up now. Like that one poster earlier here complaining that we have been locked down for too long. We had a group outside our school district office recently protesting (obviously many with no masks) because they claim the superintendent lied to them about school opening dates and that the teachers are in cahoots to keep schools closed.

So if the inpatient number has risen drastically and the ICU beds taken hasn't what's the explanation for that difference?

Do patients that previously qualified for ICU just not get that level of care or are there that many more patients admitted in some sort of limbo where they are bad enough to admit but not bad enough for ICU care?

Example of what I was talking about.

Below is from PDF: https://azdhs.gov/documents/prepare...novel-coronavirus/sdmac/covid-19-addendum.pdf

PfzcgNB.jpg

Sigh... this church and people like these are likely partially responsible for our low ICU capacity. I'd heard about them in the news before, having had to go to court recently.

San Jose church continues to defy health orders, holds indoor Christmas Eve mass

More than one worshipper said it was a full house. The church can hold more than 500 people. Some people traveled far to attend and some of them chose not to wear masks.

Churchgoer Kevin McMahon said he’s willing to risk getting sick for his faith.

"I need the human connection," said McMahon. "I need the singing, we hug, we are not afraid."

Some worshippers were seen without face coverings. The parking lot was packed. The celebration lasted 90 minutes.

"I do not fear the virus," said Churchgoer Albert Benavides. "I respect the virus. I know that it's real. I don’t think it's a hoax but I know myself. I know I’m healthy."

Calvary Chapel San Jose has been at odds with Santa Clara County for months for repeatedly violating health directives. County officials said, the church has been fined $1.2 million.
Indoors? Some w/no masks? Singing? That's a superspreader event right there. :(

Bay Area ICU capacity: How close we are to the 15% threshold and California's new stay-at-home order says "According to the latest state data released, the greater Bay Area region currently has 9.2% of its ICU capacity remaining."

Last edited:
Hmm, sounds like Weld County, Colorado, where I live. The physician running the health department retired to "spend more time with his family" after a private meeting with the board of commissioners. He was replaced by a fireman. Our county refuses to enforce the stage of Colorado mandates thus we have indoor dining and a US Representative refusing the COVID vaccine because he is an American.

At least the physician who "retired" received a Fauci Award.

First hand observation - Christmas Day I injured a hand enough to require immediate medical attention. I am dead center in SoCal (20 million people in a 100 mile radius), and all the Urgent Care facilities were closed. I was forced to go to a hospital ER.
It was not crowded, there were no lines, but it did take 2.5h to get an X-ray and stitches. This is not unusual for an ER in SoCal, if anything, it was quicker than many years.

I should get another C19 test tomorrow, but I'm not too worried.

Knox County closer to scrapping board of health as COVID-19 rages (read this as local government hates science and wants to open up no matter how many get sick or die)

From the article:
(Knox County Mayor Glenn Jacobs)
“Sadly, active case numbers are high and, tragically, deaths are climbing, but I don’t believe that’s happening because people in this community aren’t doing what they’re supposed to do,” he continued.

Would like to ask that mayor what he thinks is the cause of having the worst numbers in the country.

It was not crowded, there were no lines, but it did take 2.5h to get an X-ray and stitches.

So what are you saying exactly?

Looks like Eastvale is slightly below the average case rate for Riverside County overall (since March...not useful data really). But it is hard to find the data on recent (last two weeks) case rate, relative to the county. There is a lot of non-homogeneity of case density by location. It depends on socioeconomic factors, as well as luck, bad luck, etc.

You may be lucky that you live somewhere that is not dealing with a high case rate locally.

Reactions: NikolaACDC
From the article:
(Knox County Mayor Glenn Jacobs)
“Sadly, active case numbers are high and, tragically, deaths are climbing, but I don’t believe that’s happening because people in this community aren’t doing what they’re supposed to do,” he continued.

Would like to ask that mayor what he thinks is the cause of having the worst numbers in the country.

Would this explain it better?

Glenn Thomas Jacobs is an American professional wrestler, actor, author, businessman, and politician. As a Republican, he is the Mayor of Knox County, Tennessee. In professional wrestling, Jacobs is signed to WWE, where he is known by his ring name Kane.

He just plays to the crowd, if the crowd doesn't think it's bad to not wear a mask he'll say you don't have to wear a mask. If the crowd blames someone else, he'll blame someone else. If the crowd says nothing can be done to prevent it, he'll say nothing can be done to prevent it.

I have no idea what he really thinks, he's been in front of the camera too many years to share his real opinion.

So the building I work in has had 3 positive cases in a 5 month period. The first one didn't mention contact tracing (which is disappointing considering the location of the employee), the second one said no contacts were exposed, this third event quarantined 7 people on top of the confirmed infected.

I redacted some company names and suite numbers. And generally skipped 90% of the details about the clean up and whatnot, just wanted to put together the timeline/number of people.

Dec 2020 Timeline of Events
The employee was last onsite on Dec. 18, and tested positive on Dec. 23. XXXX was notified Dec. 24.

Dec 2020 Occupied Space
This facility is a multi-tenant building with shared common areas.

Dec 2020 Contact Tracing
Contact tracing is complete. Seven employees have been identified as required to self-quarantine.

------------------------------------------

Nov 2020 Timeline of Events
The person who tested positive was last onsite on Nov. 22, and tested positive on Nov. 24. XXXX received notification of the positive test on Nov. 25.

Nov 2020 Occupied Space
This facility is a multi-tenant building with shared common areas. The person who tested positive was in their own cubicle on the third floor, in Suite xxxx.

Nov 2020 Contract Tracing
Contact tracing is complete. No one has been identified as needing to self-quarantine.

------------------------------------------

Aug 2020 Timeline of Events
The person who tested positive was last onsite on Aug. 11 and tested positive on Aug. 14. XXXX received notification of the positive test earlier today. We immediately alerted the property owner.

Aug 2020 Occupied Space
This facility is a multi-tenant building with shared common areas. The person who tested positive had access to the 4th floor reception desk, but did not access office spaces.

Aug 2020 no mention of contact tracing

I just got the email about the latest occurrence 3 hours ago. I guess the good news is I didn't get contacted as part of the tracing effort.

Last edited:
For the second time in 2 weeks my wife was notified by employee health that she had exposure to a COVID patient who wasn't known as positive until after her having done a consult on them. It would be a real bitch to get COVID now after avoiding it for 10 months and having gotten the first dose of vaccine last week. She doubts it will happen as she double masks for the entire time she is in the hospital (a surgical mask over a cloth mask),she tries to maintain a distance from all patients, though that is difficult to auscultate from 6 feet. And she should have some partial immunity from the vaccine She only wears an N95 for confirmed positive COVID as she can't stand the difficulty breathing for more than a short period.

She also said today that her hospital remains full of COVID patients and the several days she has been notified of 1 or 2 longtime patients having died. Not unusual for patients to die considering her specialty but it is never everyday.

• Informative
Reactions: NikolaACDC and JRP3
After completing initial vaccine administration or appointments for the 1a and 1b folks, our system was able to randomly choose 3,500 over 75yo patients to offer Moderna vaccine. If this pilot goes well hopefully can extend to further 1c patients. Still bit unclear how the other 1c group, teaches, grocery clerks... are gaining access to the vaccine. I visited with two teachers today that had no information from their schools in regards to vaccination.