Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That takes effort and money. Ths county really doesn't do effort and it definitely doesn't do money.
You could probably do this without support from the county/officials. The right celeb might help pay for it, the healthcare professionals might donate their time, you might be able to rally friends and neighbors. This is the whole point of community after all.

Reactions: dhrivnak
This guy comes up with some very interesting graphics.
2:10 PM · Aug 4, 2021 Marco Piani
In case you are thinking of using the *UK* lagged case fatality rate (CFR), now at ~0.2%, to estimate the future reported deaths *in the US*... please don't, unless you desire to feel bad when the death number gets higher than you expect.

United States
ntBuaMM.jpg

United Kingdom
K0SWWi2.jpg

New McClatchy article based on an interview with Fauci today:

7 day average new cases is now 80-90k in USA

Fauci foresees 100k to 200k daily cases

vaccinated people can get Long Covid

Delta variant can lead to 1000x viral levels

Separately, CDC reports today that Delta variant now makes up 93% of sampled sequenced tests in USA. In the below graph, AY.3 (AY.x) is a subtype of the Delta variant.

129DB8C8-292B-407B-B043-576DD976AE27.jpeg
67903077-DB69-4A8F-A194-3F7A3B3D75AF.jpeg

Looks like we may be getting close to peaks in LA, MO, and maybe even FL (we’ll see about that…not so sure yet). Would be good to see that, and then we have to hope that Texas and California don’t continue to explode, and find a way to snub their peaks. Then maybe we’ll be able to keep the 7-day average below 120k-130k or so? Really dependent on how much these curves rising in basically all other states amplify, which I think is likely going to happen, but hopefully not as badly as Florida. All depends on whether people take action now, as usual. I could see both Texas and California getting quite bad but hopefully they don’t.

Still looks like a peak in mid August or late August is likely. Worse scenarios seem possible, but it seems like people are probably making adjustments to behavior now, which should make them less likely.

Have to vaccinate like mad, with consistent outreach, through this surge, and especially after this surge. It’s a war. We don’t leave people to fend for themselves in wars.

Reactions: jerry33
This guy comes up with some very interesting graphics.
2:10 PM · Aug 4, 2021 Marco Piani

United States
ntBuaMM.jpg

United Kingdom
K0SWWi2.jpg

It’ll definitely be interesting to see how these CFRs change. I do expect them to fall to some extent, but not to the extent they did in the UK. Less so because we simply have large swaths of the population who are vulnerable (old) who chose to not get vaccinated, or just have not had it made available yet. Our overall vaccination rates in the elderly are pretty good (could be better!), but not generally in the locations where the virus is hottest right now.

This sort of patchwork doesn’t exist to the same degree in the UK because they have the NHS and likely much more uniform distribution.

In the US, I guess I’d expect 0.5 to 1% to be the range for the next couple months. (But some states will be worse!) Not seeing it really start dropping towards that yet, though. The recent movements at least are starting to go in the right direction.

Here's the last update on my wife's breakthrough case (Pfizer in March+April). She's basically back to normal. Taste and smell have returned. I looked back at my posts on this and here's an overview:

07/10 - we assume this was the exposure date
07/13 - very minor symptoms (occasional sneezing)
07/16 - major symptoms start, she was in bed through the next day (no fever, just serious fatigue, aches and pains, and headache)
07/18 - felt much better, test came back positive ... but taste and smell sensation totally disappear over the day
07/28 - taste and smell *finally* start improving
08/04 - back to normal

The taste+smell thing was really bizarre. Totally gone for almost two weeks then one morning when she woke up her tongue had an "electrical" feel to it. I guess that was the nerves waking up. It rapidly improved after that.

Here's the last update on my wife's breakthrough case (Pfizer in March+April). She's basically back to normal. Taste and smell have returned. I looked back at my posts on this and here's an overview:

07/16 - major symptoms start, she was in bed through the next day (no fever, just serious fatigue, aches and pains, and headache)
07/18 - felt much better, test came back positive ... but taste and smell sensation totally disappear over the day
08/04 - back to normal

The taste+smell thing was really bizarre. Totally gone for almost two weeks then one morning when she woke up her tongue had an "electrical" feel to it. I guess that was the nerves waking up. It rapidly improved after that.
That is amazing. Thanks for the updates.

My wife just came home. Now half the patients in the ICU are COVID, unvaccinated on vents. One died yesterday and one was sent to a major university hospital for a lung transplant. What upsets her the most is she saw a patient today who was only in his 40's with no risk factors who had been vaccinated 6 months ago and last week got really sick and turned out was COVID + with major clotting in the spleen and kidney. He had no COVID symptoms just extreme abdominal pain. My wife is telling me we are taking aspirin daily starting now. He was actually lucky that the clots went down instead of up so he has no neural deficit. Anyone know of any studies on aspirin preventing COVID thrombus?
This is heartbreaking and concerning.
I know this vaccine isn’t perfect, but for someone to get this sick, only 6 months after getting vaccinated is very worrisome, especially since it seems all the authorities are pushing back on boosters.
Are there any studies available on the longevity or persistent benefit (sorry, no idea what the right term is) of the vaccines? I remember some feisty discussions about titer levels, t-cells, and b-cells, but my (non-medical person here) sense was that it’s not easy to predict how long immunity might last, so we’d have to wait and see when boosters would be helpful.

Reactions: madodel
This is heartbreaking and concerning.
I know this vaccine isn’t perfect, but for someone to get this sick, only 6 months after getting vaccinated is very worrisome, especially since it seems all the authorities are pushing back on boosters.
Are there any studies available on the longevity or persistent benefit (sorry, no idea what the right term is) of the vaccines? I remember some feisty discussions about titer levels, t-cells, and b-cells, but my (non-medical person here) sense was that it’s not easy to predict how long immunity might last, so we’d have to wait and see when boosters would be helpful.
Not sure a booster would have helped but I'm not a doctor. The virus was able to get into his bloodstream and cause clots before it was killed off by the antibodies and before he had any idea he was ill. Delta (just an assumption but considering Delta is now 93% of new cases I think valid) seems to be capable of very quickly spreading in the body as well as replicating. So being really careful, even if vaccinated is extremely important to stop it from getting in your body. So for now we will take aspirin and if either of us has symptoms or tests + we'd start on plavix to reduce any chance of clots. That is not medical advice as "I'm not a doctor™." She also said the patient was actually happy he had been vaccinated as things could have been much worse from COVID itself. That is saying a lot considering what he had to go through.

08/04 - back to normal

Thanks for the info. Age?

Here is a good summary of the dynamics of Delta and how it compares to prior variants, and implications for J&J vaccinees. (He says R0 increased from ~2 to ~6 which doesn’t seem too unreasonable- though I think measurement of this imaginary parameter (there is no actual fixed R0 value as it always depends on the situation) is tough.)

A bit of a refresher on how the other elements of the immune system work, as requested above, too.

Reactions: Jeff N
Here is another transcript (or podcast) on the various layers of immunity and how they work with COVID and variants. And an explanation about motivation for boosters (mostly to prevent transmission, and protect the more vulnerable).

• Love
Reactions: madodel

The vaccine has probably reduced overall risks of the disease by a factor of 30 or so, but there's always a chance you could still get very ill. It's probably on the order of similar risk to getting the flu now (unvaccinated), but we don't know long term consequences, etc., it's just not as well understood as influenza, at all. So it's best to avoid contracting it.

This is why I'm still a proponent of zero COVID (hoping I can avoid being exposed), though I'm somewhat realistic about the actual chances of getting there, and it's definitely going to be a couple years before there's even a hope of attempting to eradicate it.

It's not clear to me that boosters are going to eliminate all such breakthroughs unless they come up with a different type of vaccine that adds mucosal immunity, etc. COVID is a vascular disease and I've definitely heard of clotting issues with it, so it's not surprising to me that a breakthrough infection ended up with vascular/clotting issues.

Best to mask up and avoid exposure to high risk areas, for now. If everyone gets vaccinated community levels of transmission will go so low there will be essentially no risk, and then the masks can come off.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatB and madodel

If you get hit by a paywall, there's https://archive.is/PAUDZ.

Two days prior to his hospitalization, Apley shared to Facebook a post expressing skepticism about COVID-19 vaccines.

In April, he responded to a doctor's tweet about the Pfizer vaccine's efficacy with this statement: "You are an absolute enemy to a free people." In May, he shared a post about a mask burning event with the comment: "I wish I lived in the area!"

His tweet is still up.
Dr. Leana Wen is a regular on CNN.

Yeah it is bad. And as much as people may want to blame the unvaccinated, I am fairly sure there are a large group of unvaccinated who are not because no one has talked to them, they are not easily reached, they fear side effects keeping them out of work for a day or two, etc. Just people who are disadvantaged or lack good information in one way or another. Obviously there are the hard anti-vaxxer group as well, but I suspect that group may be smaller than the other group.

So saying there is nothing to be done is definitely a weak response.

It was really frustrating in May and June to see no sustained outreach to these communities, as I said here. Outreach has tremendously high ROI.

The lack of early mandates was also super weak and shortsighted. Mandates = liberty! At least we are seeing them now.

There are basically three groups of people refusing to get the vaccine
1) People of color who are wary of anything government and health related thanks to things like the Tuskegee experiments and other crimes.
2) The granola crowd who are more into alternative medicine than mainstream medicine. This is a wide range of people with some who prefer to try alternatives first but are open to mainstream medicine to people who think mainstream medicine is hokum and alternatives are the only way to go. It's the latter group who are resisting the vaccine. Though I know someone in that latter group most of the time who got vaccinated as soon as she was eligible.
3) Then the last group are those who only consume right wing news sources and believe all the lies.

The first group is getting there thanks to the efforts of other people of color going to their communities and educating them. The second group is beginning to cave too, but the third group are the ones saying that COVID is a hoax as they die from it.

08/04 - back to normal

I'm glad to hear she's OK. I was concerned she was going to develop long-COVID.

I heard this on NPR today
Missouri Hospitals Are Struggling To Cope With Summer Spike Of COVID-19

It looks like Delta really is more lethal than previous variants

"ERIK FREDERICK: As we got through the initial surge in June, what came in July that followed was a pretty significant number of deaths - in fact, 78 in the month of July, which put us at about 2 1/2 a day. And we've started off August even higher at about 3 1/2 a day. It's unfortunate. I think since July 1, about 17% of our patients that have been admitted for COVID have died. And that's just - it's remarkable, and not in a good way."

"FREDERICK: So what we're seeing is largely unvaccinated patients. Probably about 92% of our admitted patients with COVID are unvaccinated. We're seeing a decrease in the average age, especially in the ICUs and stepdown units. We're seeing folks in their 20s and 30s and 40s, whereas, last year, it was typically much older and with co-morbidities or other health issues. And then the ones that are admitted who are vaccinated are not typically found in the ICU or on ventilators unless they're much older and have other health conditions. So, you know, large percentage of the patients are unvaccinated."

17% death rate for the hospitalized is high, especially now that the treatment regime has improved over the last 18 months. If this variant had hit before the vaccine it would be a far grimmer picture.