Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cute, but the facts to date are indisputable with regards to kids and masks in schools. If they worked, the rest of the world would mandate them for their schools as well. They do not, and even with that they do not have higher COVID infection rates than we do.
Germany does require masks indoors in schools (and everywhere else). There was some talk of lifting that if infections came down but the last mention I can find is from June and they were just talking about it. They have since experienced a rise in COVID and as far as I know masks are required everywhere inside still. Though I believe you are correct that no other European country has mandated it.

Previously you listed 2 things which you felt were more important, teachers wearing masks and proper ventilation. I agree with both 100%, but at least here none of the local school districts have done anything to mitigate ventilation issues in schools. All the COVID billions that went to Pennsylvania the legislature basically used to fund some budget holes and the bulk of it confiscated for a "rainy day" fund. And COVID isn't considered a problem by our legislature who used a ballot initiative to strip our Governor of his ability to mandate anything using emergency powers. The extra millions that were allocated to schools were not directed for the uses the Federal government gave it to the state for so guess where it's being spent? Not on improving ventilation, at least not here in the Appalachia part of Pennsylvania. So vaccines or masks can't be mandated in any public entity in our state by the Governor. So it is up to the individual school districts to decide. Local school board meeting have become circuses with the anti-mask and anti-vaxx people bullying everyone. Only one of our 4 school districts is requiring masks and that is based on the fact that our county has a status of high transmission of COVID. We also still have less than a 50% vaccination rate (full and partial).

No one is going to sit in freezing temps for hours.
Well maybe we'll have 80° - 90° weather in December and January as we have had in past recent years, though here last year weather was closer to what the old normal use to be. I actually had to use my snow blower and it was colder than it had been for a decade or so. I'm just thankful I don't have young children and have to make these decisions. Sometimes I think being clueless makes life easier.

Just received an email from Lufthansa about our flight to Italy on Saturday saying that we must have proof of vaccination for Germany. They will no longer accept a negative COVID test or proof of immunity (documentation that you had COVID in the past). Things keep changing. Technically this doesn't apply to us since we are connecting in Frankfurt for our flight to Venice.

Dear Lufthansa Passenger,
Important Update for US citizens traveling from the United States to Germany: US citizens are only allowed to enter Germany with proof of a completed COVID vaccination (digital or printed). A negative COVID test or proof of immunity is no longer sufficient to enter Germany. Excluded are all children under the age of 12 years, US citizens holding a German residence card and all passengers with an international connecting flight in Frankfurt or Munich. In addition, all travelers entering Germany must register online before departure. Please be at the airport no later than 3 hours before departure to allow time for additional verifications.
Best regards
Your Lufthansa Team

from reddit r/dataisbeautiful/comments/pay78n/oc_active_covid19_cases_per_capita_in_usa_1212020/
Thanks. People can watch it at x0.5, x0.25, x0.125 here: [OC] Active Covid-19 Cases Per Capita In USA. 1/21/2020 - 8/23/2021 [0.5x] GIF | Gfycat

R8j60b3.jpg

So just to give you an idea of scale, Covid hospital cases are preventing SpaceX from launching as many rockets as they would like. SpaceX can't buy enough oxygen because it's being used for covid patients.

Shotwell confirms that SpaceX paused Starlink launches until it can get laser intersatellite links in place on all future Starlink satellites. Next Starlink launch now planned in about three weeks. Shotwell says one supply chain issue for SpaceX is a lack of liquid oxygen because of demands to treat COVID-19 patients. Will impact launch plans, she says.

SpaceX president Gwynne Shotwell says the company has “two big issues” right now from global shortages. 1. Chips & 2. Liquid oxygen (for launches)

Shotwell: “We certainly are going to make sure hospitals have the liquid oxygen they need – but for anybody that has liquid oxygen to spare, would you send me an email?”

Shotwell says one supply chain issue for SpaceX is a lack of liquid oxygen because of demands to treat COVID-19 patients. Will impact launch plans, she says.

Delta Air Lines announces a $200 monthly health insurance surcharge for unvaccinated employees

"Delta CEO Ed Bastian announced Wednesday that the airline's employees who choose not to get vaccinated against COVID-19 and are enrolled in the company's healthcare plan "will be subject to a $200 monthly surcharge" beginning on Nov. 1.

"The average hospital stay for COVID-19 has cost Delta $50,000 per person," Bastian said. "This surcharge will be necessary to address the financial risk the decision to not vaccinate is creating for our company."

Bastian added that as the Delta variant of COVID-19 spreads, all of the company's employees who have been hospitalized with the coronavirus in recent weeks weren't fully vaccinated. Delta employees who are unvaccinated will also have to get tested for COVID-19 every week "while community case rates are high," Bastian said."
-----------------------
Good. Don't like your job environment you're always free to leave.
A fact some people haven't tired of pointing out in the past...

Ironic that Delta Variant and Delta Airlines get shortened to just "Delta" all through articles like that.

I guess Delta Airlines gets to join the company named Covid.

Ironic that Delta Variant and Delta Airlines get shortened to just "Delta" all through articles like that.

I guess Delta Airlines gets to join the company named Covid.

And Corona...

"The average hospital stay for COVID-19 has cost Delta $50,000 per person," Bastian said. "This surcharge will be necessary to address the financial risk the decision to not vaccinate is creating for our company."
2400 per year surcharge to cover a 50k/person cost implies 1 out of every ~25 unvaccinated employees (not elderly or generally unhealthy) will be hospitalized in the next 12 months. I don't mind penalizing the unvaccinated, but don't lie that it's "necessary" to cover added costs.

United simply mandated vaccination. Delta is trying to weasel around it.

2400 per year surcharge to cover a 50k/person cost implies 1 out of every ~25 unvaccinated employees (not elderly or generally unhealthy) will be hospitalized in the next 12 months. I don't mind penalizing the unvaccinated, but don't lie that it's "necessary" to cover added costs.

United simply mandated vaccination. Delta is trying to weasel around it.
Not quite complete.
There's also possibly family coverage.
Plus, vaxophobes are more likely to be infected and infectious, increasing the probability of colleagues getting sick.

It's still a bit weaselly, but it's good to try to internalize externalities and put a price on freedumb.

I think we'll do that, except with a peak scaled up to around 80k per day average in middle of August. No idea though!

Well, looks like we're getting close to 150k 7da on August 25th, which could be a peak (or maybe just a local maximum). So my prediction was quite wrong indeed on amplitude but too not bad on timing (if the peak ends up next week or the following week, then the timing was all off too). (One expert consensus in late July was for a peak in mid-October - but at 60k cases with 850 deaths per day....worst case was 240k/4k The Delta Variant Will Drive A Steep Rise In U.S. COVID Deaths, A New Model Shows ).

That being said, most of the CDC ensemble thinks this thing is going to keep trucking through the next two weeks until early-mid September, so this could be a brief local maximum followed by a mild resurgence to a second peak. They could be right if the spread of the virus extends even more strongly to the more heavily vaccinated states. However, just looking at the way things are going, I feel like a resurgence in Florida & Texas (which perhaps have peaked - again, could be a local maximum only...) would have to accompany a continued rise in California, to actually not see overall cases decline in the next week. Or perhaps they are modeling school reopening, haha.

While there are a lot of smaller states still on the upswing and they might peak in a few weeks, if there's decline in those much larger states, it'll be enough to offset that rise. Guess it depends on whether they rapidly decline or continue a good solid burn through of the unvaccinated.

On the upside, since this Delta debacle began, 20 million people have received their first dose. We're probably vaccinating at a similar rate to infections, at this point. Continues to limit the remaining vulnerable pool.

Just goes to show how many lives we could save this winter if we actually pushed for vaccination. No uptick in daily vaccinations in the tracker yet but should be interesting to see what happens next couple weeks with all the mandates coming in.

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 12.53.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 12.54.11 PM.png

Last edited: