Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1.4m yesterday, speechless

View attachment 754760
Worldometers shows the same 7 day average (756k) but the highest single day is 872k. They don't show the same huge dip in Sunday and Monday or the same huge spike on Tuesday. Same data being gathered, just different methods.

1641962748414.png

It's more gradual, things in general may be much less inevitable than they seem.

For example, among states in the US, the death rate varies by a factor of 4.5x, the infection rate by a factor of 2.5x.
And South Korea is a factor of more than 10x below the US average, Germany about 2x.

A lower total number of infections means a lower probability of mutations. I guess that's independent of the age of the infected, young or old.

In the current state of the world, it may seem difficult to distribute vaccines over the whole world quickly. And it may seem difficult to change that. However, I believe, possible in the long run, if we actually want to change that. At least it can be improved a lot.

The variance in cases from place to place is why COVID is not going to go away anytime soon. Even in the US there are places that are not having much of a peak right now, but probably will peak after the current peak in other places declines.

Omicron could be mutating right now into another variant with different characteristics. The more cases there are in the world, the more likely a new variant is going to come along. And we have a huge number of cases right now.

The virus has already figured out how to mutate the spike protein to partially get around previous immunity. It could mutate again to make the vaccines completely ineffective.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand

CNN's Dr Gupta (indirectly) quoting Abraar Karan, referring specifically to N95 masks:
"If everyone wore one of these high-filtration masks in public for 4 weeks, we could essentially bring an end to the pandemic."

Not sure if this is an exaggeration, but I can easily imagine it would have a huge effect.

Reactions: madodel

CNN's Dr Gupta (indirectly) quoting Abraar Karan, referring specifically to N95 masks:
"If everyone wore one of these high-filtration masks in public for 4 weeks, we could essentially bring an end to the pandemic."

Not sure if this is an exaggeration, but I can easily imagine it would have a huge effect.

The world’s premier public health agency…

I’ve stepped my game back up to my P100 elastomeric full-face respirator, indoors.

Reactions: Norbert and madodel
Picture needed... ;-) (...of the respirator)
3M Ultimate

Cartridges/filters sold separately.

I add a surgical, rubber banded over both exhausts.

There are other links in this thread to P100 two-way respirators. But this is “ultimate” so it is very good…for me.

If it is too tight it pulls back on my jaw and can make things annoying after a while. Overall very comfortable though. I don’t wear glasses.

CFDECB65-1172-46F3-BB13-6C8167DE5B82.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Norbert and madodel
3M Ultimate

There are other links in this thread to P100 two-way respirators. But this is “ultimate” so it is very good…for me.

If it is too tight it pulls back on my jaw and can make things annoying after a while. Overall very comfortable though. I don’t wear glasses.

View attachment 754952
It certainly makes a fashion statement for the times we live in.

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
It certainly makes a fashion statement for the times we live in.

It's interesting. I wore this all the time until I got vaccinated, in stores. Never got any comments back then, through early 2021. Went to N95 after that (with the exception of the holiday party and a brief low spread period pre-Delta in rock climbing gym, I've not removed the N95), didn't think I was bringing it back. I was wrong.

Now that things are the worst they've ever been (in terms of risk of infection), when I wear it, I get comments (complementary comments, nearly universally). And I went into an O'Reilly's (where no one was wearing masks, and everyone was talking about how their friends had gotten COVID :eek:) and there appeared to be a lot of snickering. And then they complemented my mask at checkout.

My conclusion is that now that people are vaccinated and boosted (if they want), people have concluded (probably correctly) that such protections are unnecessary, whereas before it was completely understandable with no vaccine that such protection was appropriate. So before they didn't want to comment or talk about it, but now they feel it is somewhat overkill and just think it's amusing? Or maybe now that things are so bad they actually do think it is great, and so they say so? Hard to say.

But, I don't want to get infected (mostly because my wife doesn't want to get infected and I wouldn't live that down), so here we are.

I'm under the impression that in my particular situation with no kids, that it's extremely easy to avoid infection with Omicron. Lots of doom & gloom yesterday from Fauci and FDA about how nearly everyone is getting it, but I'm not concerned about infection (unless there is an unexpected hospital visit or whatever). Upset my wife though. Everyone just needs to calm down. We'll have at least 10x less risk in just a few weeks (at most 6 weeks I think). People who don't care should just go out and get it, everyone else just needs to chill. I know it's much harder with kids and other required contacts (my work told me we had to come in and I told them I wasn't going to, which they were fine with - that's going to be interesting to see that play out - I'd wear the P100 if I did go into the office though).

Last edited:
3M Ultimate

View attachment 754952
I have one of those from doing spray foam insulation in my garage. It'll get the job done for sure, better than any cloth or surgical mask by a mile. I guess go big or go home haha. I am in the "I'm boosted and going about my life" camp for the most part but I can't get mad at you for wearing it if you want your best odds of staying COVID free.

Reactions: msm859
q1esty61dab81.png

1642027016779.png

New York Times didn't have a graph with its article so I made one in Illustrator. The original source of the data is this PDF from the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.

the data covers the United States

note I didn't make this, I'm quoting the guy that did.

Last edited:
Couple of interesting threads from Angie Rasmussen, an actual virologist. Both worth a quick read through. This echos some of the comments I've made here about the differences between coronavirus and influenza, which seem poorly grasped (at a basic level the differences are not complicated though, as far as I can tell):

(Sorry about the profanity within this first tweet - I've redone the link to point to the second tweet which is less profane.)

And another on the endemicity nonsense. As has been said here already, this is not endemicity. It's nothing like it right now. You can't say it's going to be like flu and also call it endemic (flu as we know causes pandemics (potentially minor ones) when new strains emerge); that's contradictory.

Couple of interesting threads from Angie Rasmussen, an actual virologist. Both worth a quick read through. This echos some of the comments I've made here about the differences between coronavirus and influenza, which seem poorly grasped (at a basic level the differences are not complicated though, as far as I can tell):

(Sorry about the profanity within this first tweet - I've redone the link to point to the second tweet which is less profane.)

And another on the endemicity nonsense. As has been said here already, this is not endemicity. It's nothing like it right now. You can't say it's going to be like flu and also call it endemic (flu as we know causes pandemics (potentially minor ones) when new strains emerge); that's contradictory.

Her summary:

In summary, please ignore this. “Speeding the spread” is not safer and it is reckless, irresponsible, and frankly just ghastly to suggest that having a global COVID pox party would be “safer” than vaccinating the world and significantly reducing transmission.