Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: jerry33
"In September, vaccine manufacturers Pfizer, Moderna and Novavax are slated to deliver new single-strain Covid shots targeting the omicron subvariant XBB.1.5, the most immune-evasive strain of the virus to date."
via: New Covid vaccines are coming to the U.S. this fall, but uptake may be low — Here’s why

FxmXW1F.jpg

EmCOoLN.jpg

tHekarN.jpg

Weird how this "suppression of misinformation" keeps coming up as evidence of something nefarious. We are screwed bigtime if COVID or another pandemic comes back strong.

Jim Jordan Reveals 'Smoking Gun' Against Biden
There's definitely a certain swath of the populace who would rather hear unfounded conspiracy theories than useful information. And in their favor there are plenty who would help them along that path. In a free society you can only do so much.

In case any of you missed this. I found it interesting that 85% of the healthcare workers in the study, which was in Amsterdam, admitted to picking their noses regularly. It was hard to find a control group big enough for the study.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33 and madodel
A couple of new-ish studies

Diabetes following SARS-CoV-2 infection: Incidence, persistence, and implications of COVID-19 vaccination. A cohort study of fifteen million people
(Not peer-reviewed)
"There is a 30-50% elevated T2DM [Type 2 diabetes] incidence post-COVID-19, but we report the novel finding that there is elevated incidence beyond one-year post-diagnosis. Elevated T1DM incidence did not appear to persist beyond a year, which may explain why previous studies disagree. For the first time in a general-population dataset, we demonstrate that COVID-19 vaccination reduces, but does not entirely ameliorate, excess diabetes incidence after COVID-19."

-------------
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(23)00171-4/fulltext
(Peer-reviewed, I think)
"Interpretation
Initially and during recovery from symptomatic COVID-19, fully vaccinated participants had lower concentrations of inflammatory markers than unvaccinated participants suggesting vaccination is associated with short-term and long-term reduction in inflammation, which could in part explain the reduced disease severity and mortality in vaccinated individuals."

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz and madodel
My wife says there are now at least a dozen patients in her hospital with positive COVID. The bizarre thing is while they require staff to treat them with normal respiratory isolation (mask, gloves and hand washing) but visitors have no restrictions and come and go into these rooms with no precautions required and then walk around the hospital. So she's wearing a mask in the hospital again. Is this going on in other hospitals? Or is her facility "special"?

My wife says there are now at least a dozen patients in her hospital with positive COVID. The bizarre thing is while they require staff to treat them with normal respiratory isolation (mask, gloves and hand washing) but visitors have no restrictions and come and go into these rooms with no precautions required and then walk around the hospital. So she's wearing a mask in the hospital again. Is this going on in other hospitals? Or is her facility "special"?

It's not right, but it's not uncommon, at least before the pandemic. I remember many an influenza season when we have to mask up prior to going into a room, etc. but the hospital was far less strict on family that were visiting.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and madodel

That's the difference between liability and controlling spread.

The lawyers don't care if you spread an illness in the hospital so long as they can say it wasn't an employee that did the spreading.

Last edited:
My wife checked with the ID person at the hospital and everyone going into a COVID room is supposed to be wearing an N95. So apparently the visitors she observed were either ignoring the rule or weren't told the rules. At least she now knows the rule and my wife is fierce about people following rules. I'm sure they will be reporting her to administration a lot now.

And she says all of a sudden a lot of patients are testing positive for COVID in the hospital even though they are mostly all in for other things. Seems early in the season for an explosion for respiratory virus.

My wife checked with the ID person at the hospital and everyone going into a COVID room is supposed to be wearing an N95. So apparently the visitors she observed were either ignoring the rule or weren't told the rules. At least she now knows the rule and my wife is fierce about people following rules. I'm sure they will be reporting her to administration a lot now.

And she says all of a sudden a lot of patients are testing positive for COVID in the hospital even though they are mostly all in for other things. Seems early in the season for an explosion for respiratory virus.

There was a late summer spike in cases in July/August 2021 and 2022. This isn't remotely surprising.

Reactions: GSP

Yes, COVID doesn't seem to be as seasonal as other respiratory viruses. Good on your wife for pushing for masking. Bless her heart. My reading of our masking expectations is that we are not as strict as your hospital as far as the published rules updated last week.

Hospitals have a duty to protect their patients at risk, no matter what visitors choose to believe.

Reactions: GSP and jerry33
Did you or should you get the second shot in the same arm as the first?

Interesting you ask that . . . my wife got hers in the same arm, I got mine in the opposite arm. There doesn't appear to be any recommended guidelines for this.

Look like there is a new study that addresses this...

The researchers used the data of 303 people who received the mRNA vaccine as well as a booster shot as part of Germany’s vaccine campaign.

Two weeks after the booster, the number of “killer T cells” was significantly higher in those who had both shots in the same arm, according to the study.

Those cells, which attack and destroy the other cells they target, were present in 67% of the same-arm cases and only 43% in people who had their injections in different arms, according to study coauthor Laura Ziegler, a doctoral student at Saarland University.

Some call this Pirola. Maybe it will end up being nothing, maybe it will replace existing variants. Maybe the updated vaccines will not be very effective against it (in terms of preventing infection - very likely will help a lot for preventing serious illness, since even with all the changes there are many more targets for antibodies). Hard to know!