Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corroding side view mirror brackets on norwegian cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a feeling that the oxidation will occur in "untreated" cars exposed to at least moderate winters with use of salt on the roads, but that it may be exacerbated or at least more apparent (i.e. the streaks on the door panels) in vehicles that go through touchless car washes, where pressurized water jets are shot into and around the mirror mount.

As a card carrying Tesla fanboy, I am actually offended by you saying this.

With all due respect,you sound more like a Tesla "Enthusiast" rather than a Tesla "Fanboy". The term "fanboy" usually has a negative connotation and refers to someone who ignores facts, blindly supports a product and constantly tries to debunk negative comments. I don't think that's you.

With all due respect,you sound more like a Tesla "Enthusiast" rather than a Tesla "Fanboy". The term "fanboy" usually has a negative connotation and refers to someone who ignores facts, blindly supports a product and constantly tries to debunk negative comments. I don't think that's you.

Yes but the point is, he is lumping Tesla enthusiasts in with the fanboy label and implying that enthusiasts are loudly clanking to stifle discussion of any problem mentioned on this forum, which is a gross overstatement. To add insult to injury, he spontaneously brings it up in a thread where no one has even disagreed with him. It just encourages the people like Realist and Newbie (sorry to single you two out) who post sensationalized material with faulty logic and a dearth of facts, by allowing them to throw their yellow flag whenever someone points out a flaw in their post, by saying "you're a fanboy!!!! You are blindly following the pied piper!!!"

Wow. Take the fanboy discussion somewhere else, please. Really don`t care.....

I`ve tried getting hold of the store manager here in Norway to get more info on when I can expect new mirror brackets. So far no luck. I also talked to the body shop where all damaged norwegian Model S` are repaired, and they say they still get the untreated mirror brackets when they need to swap them. So apparently the new brackets haven`t made it to Norway yet.

Not sure. What I`ve heard is that the Model S alu parts has some kind of e-coating (epoxy coating) which covers the aluminium. Not sure if it`s easy for a body shop to apply e-coating or if they`re only able to spraypaint?
I sent a reminder to the manager here in Norway to let him know he should reply :)

Got my car in December and in Estonia they're generous with salts etc. The car is dirty all the time of course, but I just checked and don't see any of the streaks. I had it handwashed a couple of weeks ago to be presented at an event on red carpet and saw nothing then either. Not opening up the coverings to check inside if it's coated, but just a datapoint. Then again I've only used the non-touch pressure washes once...

Got my car in December and in Estonia they're generous with salts etc. The car is dirty all the time of course, but I just checked and don't see any of the streaks. I had it handwashed a couple of weeks ago to be presented at an event on red carpet and saw nothing then either. Not opening up the coverings to check inside if it's coated, but just a datapoint. Then again I've only used the non-touch pressure washes once...

You can peek straight down from the inside of the front doors and see part of the bracket, without loosening anything, just by doing some slight pulling:

uny7egam.jpg

You can peek straight down from the inside of the front doors and see part of the bracket, without loosening anything, just by doing some slight pulling:

That corrosion you see in your picture was coming right up from under the rubber and on to the inside glass surface of the triangle windows on my car. Both sides. I would wipe it off with my finger and it would be back again in a few days. Tesla replaced both of the triangle windows because the corrosion, I believe, was on the bracket at the bottom of the triangle window that holds it to the door. They had to remove the mirrors to do this, but as far as I know, did not replace the mirror brackets themselves.

Its fully resolved, just contact your service center. They will replace your brackets with coated ones.

Kalud,

I was just at the Laval SC last friday for my annual inspection, and was told that they are aware of the issue, but had no improved / coated brackets yet.

I was even showed new mirror assemblies out of the box, and the bracket did not look coated (to my eye).

Have you had more recent information?

Kalud,

I was just at the Laval SC last friday for my annual inspection, and was told that they are aware of the issue, but had no improved / coated brackets yet.

I was even showed new mirror assemblies out of the box, and the bracket did not look coated (to my eye).

Have you had more recent information?

No sorry then, I was getting an appointment (been contacted by the SC) for that issue and understood that parts were available. Since coated mirror bracket has been seen in the wild I concluded they were available to everyone... My bad... :(

Both my triangle windows were replaced because the bracket that holds them to the door were corroding, but as far as I know, the mirror brackets were not replaced even though the mirrors have to come completely off to replace those little pieces of glass. I still get a bit of grey-ish streaking on the door after a car wash.

Went to my SC this morning for some minor things and got 1.51.94

Sorry for the brief off topic question Kalud, but did you ask about the coated mirror brackets while at the SC?

I did ask but the part guy was not there. I did send the picture of both coated and non-coated so that they can check what kind of part they have in stock and if newer (coated) parts can be ordered. I don't want to replace the current bracket with non-coated one... I think it would be a waste of time and resources as they would be alright until next winter... I'll have them replaced once coated bracket are available. They will contact me once they are.