Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to upgrade from 60 to 75 after delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All of the software upgradable options show a price to add now, or add later in the design studio except the bigger battery capacity that just says "Upgradable to 75 kWh at anytime"? Is the price the same as if you were to buy it from the start (+$6500) or is it a higher cost?

What's Tesla's track record when it comes to "grandfathering" of pricing? If the upgrade price is $6,500 today, will they always honor that price? And not just for the battery, but other options. For example FSD is a $4,000 upgrade if activated after delivery..once it's actually live, I wonder if Tesla will increase the price for people who did not activate it previously?

With the battery actually 75KWh, you can charge the 60KWh battery to 100% all the time without battery degradation Vs only charging the 75KWh to 85% capacity to avoid degradation. In addition the 60KWh version actually has another 2.4KWh so real capacity is 62.4KWh.

What's Tesla's track record when it comes to "grandfathering" of pricing?

They have never "grandfathered" prices that I know of. For example people that bought their cars without activating AP before the AP price went up found that they had to pay the new price to turn AP on once Tesla raised the price. (Still plus the "change" fee.)

What's Tesla's track record when it comes to "grandfathering" of pricing? If the upgrade price is $6,500 today, will they always honor that price? And not just for the battery, but other options. For example FSD is a $4,000 upgrade if activated after delivery..once it's actually live, I wonder if Tesla will increase the price for people who did not activate it previously?
They did not grandfather costs for service plan or extended warranty.

I don't think I will go from 60 to 75 before maxing out software upgrades. FsD is my next choice. I thought it would be 75 upgrade until I read these stories. Turns out 60 gets me to my SC just fine and 75 does not do what a 90 can for my range.

I was going to get a 60d which gives 218 miles of range as listed. You can charge that 100% which is really good deal. And I was getting it at the pre price increase of 2000.

75d is listed at 259, but for daily use you charge it to 90% which comes to 233. So difference of 15 miles. Doesn't make sense to pay 8500 unless you plan to charge to 100% on regular basis.

I switched to inventory brand new AP2. I had 3 75Ds available. They offered to rollback each one to 60D and take 8500 off the price. Except one had a discount of 2800. They said if I rollback I will lose the discount. So I decided to keep the discount and in effect paid 5700 for upgrade to 75d. It made sense to me as I will be charging to 100% every two weeks and most likely every week in summer.

I chose the other direction but your choice is logical given your needs and intentions. I spent a lot more, got the 60D with a few options i wanted but did not need...because after two weeks of not sleeping and stressing my order NOT getting here before 2016...I have this flaw; a mode call "f@$^ it mode" where I do not give a $#!t and just decided to sacrifice more and get what I could. I live without regrets so I'll be fine if the car has no defects and I'll be happy.

I chose the other direction but your choice is logical given your needs and intentions. I spent a lot more, got the 60D with a few options i wanted but did not need...because after two weeks of not sleeping and stressing my order NOT getting here before 2016...I have this flaw; a mode call "f@$^ it mode" where I do not give a $#!t and just decided to sacrifice more and get what I could. I live without regrets so I'll be fine if the car has no defects and I'll be happy.
Ha ha. I am the same way. That's why I could not wait for my custom order after it got delayed and just went with more expensive option.

Enjoy your car!