Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could CarPlay be added just via OTA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no - I mean, zero - knowledge of programming or coding. And I'm not here to litigate the merits of CarPlay or why Tesla should/should not allow it on the software platform.

But I'm curious, so I'm just floating the question out to those who might know - if Tesla did decide to play ball, could CP be added via an OTA update? Or would it require something a little more extensive whereby you might need to take it to a service center?

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that wireless Apple CarPlay requires both a bluetooth link and a WiFi link. The WiFi is needed if you want to play lossless CD quality audio. The bluetooth is for control. We know Tesla has the bluetooth link, but that only gets us compressed audio AAC 256. I haven't heard anything yet about Tesla's WiFi communication capabilities. Could they possibly allow WiFi streaming of the audio from our phones without any new hardware in the car? I wonder.

Rivian just added birds eye view in a software update. There’s no patent or royalties on it. Tesla can’t add it because of the camera arrangement. They don’t have visibility along the edges of the car

3rd paragraph “Another reason Tesla hasn’t tried to implement such a feature is that it’s currently under a patent and they would have to license the technology in order to implement it in a similar way.”

Last edited: