Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Autopilot w/ Convenience Features NOT Activated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my 2015 70D last week. It was listed as "Autopilot HW1.0 with convenience features"
However, on my way home from delivery, I noticed that autopilot was definitely NOT enabled.
I have since, returned twice to the Service center. On my last visit 3 days ago, they told me that they confirmed with the delivery team that I was definitely supposed to have autopilot enabled, but a "glitch" in their service side software was preventing them from sending the activation command to my car because it previously was not enabled. Said they would elevate the problem to engineering to try to get it fixed. So far nothing, but still holding out hope.

Anyone else having this problem, or is it just me?
upload_2018-12-17_10-44-32.png

Yeah, my first call was to tech support. The person I talked to didn't know what they were talking about. Tried telling me that "convenience features" didn't mean the software was activated, and that I needed Enhanced Autopilot for $7k to enable lane keeping and summon etc.
Luckily, I have another MS with the same exact autopilot package so I know he was full of crap.
He insisted I go talk with the delivery person who told me I would have autopilot enabled and that was the only way to fix it. Luckily the people at the delivery center and service center know what "convenience features" means.

It can be done over the air. Now I just have to wait for them to fix the "bug" in their system that will allow them to do that.

The data provided is inaccurate. I checked with VIN from my car and it came up with wrong battery size, wrong supercharging, wrong default tires and production year. Also "Autopilot convenience feature" possibly indicates the ability to have this feature but not necessarily that it is included.

The data provided is inaccurate. I checked with VIN from my car and it came up with wrong battery size, wrong supercharging, wrong default tires and production year.

Please PM me your VIN and the data you think is incorrect, I'd like to see what you are talking about. If you detect anything wrong with EV-CPO, please let me know and I can look into it and see where the problem lies.

Also understand that 100% of the data on EV-CPO.com is directly FROM TESLA. So if the data for your VIN was wrong, then that's how Tesla supplied the data for your car. I've been doing this for three years now, and I've never seen a car listed with as many problems as you indicate.

. Also "Autopilot convenience feature" possibly indicates the ability to have this feature but not necessarily that it is included.

"Autopilot Convenience Features" absolutely means that AP1 features are enabled (and not just hardware installed).

ev-cpo.com data is 100% accurate. Which is where I got the data I posted. You can search around the forums, but autopilot with convenience features definitely means that the software is activated

Yes, I would just restate that as "The data is 100% accurate as reported by Tesla Motors".

and that I needed Enhanced Autopilot for $7k to enable lane keeping and summon etc.

As you already knew, this is clearly wrong. "Enhanced Autopilot" (or EAP) is AP2.

Picked up my 2015 70D last week. It was listed as "Autopilot HW1.0 with convenience features"
However, on my way home from delivery, I noticed that autopilot was definitely NOT enabled.
I have since, returned twice to the Service center. On my last visit 3 days ago, they told me that they confirmed with the delivery team that I was definitely supposed to have autopilot enabled, but a "glitch" in their service side software was preventing them from sending the activation command to my car because it previously was not enabled. Said they would elevate the problem to engineering to try to get it fixed. So far nothing, but still holding out hope.

Anyone else having this problem, or is it just me?
View attachment 361653

Come on, give them some time.

I bought a CPO 2016 MS 70D
When I picked it up the paperwork said 'hardware' but didn't say it was activated, in other words the paperwork was slightly different than the listing. The agent who did our delivery paperwork told us our car did not have autopilot activated and it would cost $5k or so to get it activated. He was simply confused, which became clear later. He told us other things that weren't accurate about our car, too. Anyway, my car DID have AP1 activated and I just didn't know it because a) I believed the the delivery guy and b) I didn't know what to look for or how to use it. I contacted the sales guy (not the delivery guy) and asked about it and he said it was activated and he was right.

My suggestions:
- ignore the sales team that are talking about AP2 or trying to charge you to activate it (this includes discussion of "enhanced autopilot")
- make sure you really understand what AP1 is and how it works, watch some youtube videos and read the manual, you may already have it and not know it
- if you find that it's truly not enabled then just keep hassling them until someone fixes it. The main problem here is going to be all the Tesla staff encounters who will steer you the wrong way with misinformation or simply not being helpful. Just keep bugging them

Remember autopilot is really only a few features like:
- traffic aware cruise control, pretty cool but not perfect and only suitable on freeways
- autosteering, which I barely use because I feel like it's just too inaccurate
- summon, which can be useful but only goes straight forward and backward and won't work on hills
- autoparking which is mostly about impressing passengers and isn't particularly useful imo except at supercharger stations
- AP1 does NOT see motorcycles, pedestrians, bicyclists, stop signs etc. Be careful!

Reactions: EV-CPO
- make sure you really understand what AP1 is and how it works, watch some youtube videos and read the manual, you may already have it and not know it

I know exactly what it is. I have another MS with it.
My problem is that it is SUPPOSED to be enabled, but the service center is currently blocked from doing it since it was not initially activated when the car was new. It is a CPO perk, and there is obviously a flaw in the system.

This thread was to see if anyone else has had similar issues

I know exactly what it is. I have another MS with it.
My problem is that it is SUPPOSED to be enabled, but the service center is currently blocked from doing it since it was not initially activated when the car was new. It is a CPO perk, and there is obviously a flaw in the system.

This thread was to see if anyone else has had similar issues

I started a similar thread because my delivery person told me my car did not have AP software, only the hardware. Now I know he just didn't know what he was talking about and I didn't know what to look for, which is why I gave the suggestion to learn about it.
I was just trying to be helpful. No need to be a dick.

It most certainly does see motorcycles and tracks them as vehicles.

Bicycles usually show up, but not always. It only sees pedestrians using sonar. Not the camera.

Well that's odd because I have never seen any motorcyclists, bicyclists or pedestrians show up on my dash. Had my car a month and drive it about 50 miles a day, mostly freeway. Software version 2018.46.2

Honestly, so far I only trust the traffic aware cruise control. And even that, it doesn't slow down quickly enough when there's traffic. And there's a glitch in my city - all the Tesla owners know about it, there's one part of a freeway that results in severe deceleration for no reason. It's a glitch that's existed for years and years and across all Models and years. That one glitch makes me distrust the entire system. Something like that should be easy to fix because it's so predictable. And if they can't fix it, then GPS should cause a warning popup for drivers to take control at that section of the freeway.

The autosteering always puts me too close to nearby cars or trucks. And the autopark takes too much time. The only times I want to use autopark is when it's busy but having to go past a space and then back into it is never the right thing to do when it's busy, someone will come behind and steel your spot or sit and honk because you're taking too long. I would like to use summon more often for my garage but my driveway is a bit of an incline and summon won't work on hills. Overall, I'm a bit disappointed in 'autopilot'.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silence88
I started a similar thread because my delivery person told me my car did not have AP software, only the hardware. Now I know he just didn't know what he was talking about and I didn't know what to look for, which is why I gave the suggestion to learn about it.
I was just trying to be helpful. No need to be a dick.

Well that's odd because I have never seen any motorcyclists, bicyclists or pedestrians show up on my dash. Had my car a month and drive it about 50 miles a day, mostly freeway. Software version 2018.46.2

Honestly, so far I only trust the traffic aware cruise control. And even that, it doesn't slow down quickly enough when there's traffic. And there's a glitch in my city - all the Tesla owners know about it, there's one part of a freeway that results in severe deceleration for no reason. It's a glitch that's existed for years and years and across all Models and years. That one glitch makes me distrust the entire system. Something like that should be easy to fix because it's so predictable. And if they can't fix it, then GPS should cause a warning popup for drivers to take control at that section of the freeway.

The autosteering always puts me too close to nearby cars or trucks. And the autopark takes too much time. The only times I want to use autopark is when it's busy but having to go past a space and then back into it is never the right thing to do when it's busy, someone will come behind and steel your spot or sit and honk because you're taking too long. I would like to use summon more often for my garage but my driveway is a bit of an incline and summon won't work on hills. Overall, I'm a bit disappointed in 'autopilot'.

Wow, AP1 and TACC work a hell of a lot better for me. I use it all the time and it's quite stable/solid.

Unless you're talking about AP2, then you might have a point. :D

Noticed AP1 was not activated while driving home from my CPO delivery. Shot an email to my SA and it was activated remotely the next day. This shouldn't be an ongoing issue.

I agree, I don't know why my situation should be any different than yours, yet for some reason it is. I'm wondering if others have had issues like mine, and maybe just didn't know that they were actually missing the features.

Not to high jack the thread but I saw new 2018 inventory 75D's listed as "Autopilot Hardware 1". Does this mean that they have the hardware but that autopilot is not activated or does it mean that it has autopilot but not EAP?

Thanks,

Not to high jack the thread but I saw new 2018 inventory 75D's listed as "Autopilot Hardware 1". Does this mean that they have the hardware but that autopilot is not activated or does it mean that it has autopilot but not EAP?

Thanks,

Correct. AFAIK, only pre-owned vehicles from Tesla come with AP activated as a perk, assuming they have the hardware. Inventory cars are still considered new, so activating AP is a paid option.

• Informative
Reactions: Nick B

Thanks,
No 2018 car is going to have Autopilot Hardware 1. They've had AP 2.5 hardware since August 2017. It's most likely a data error that Tesla needs to correct.