TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CPO buyers - Did Tesla fix your nose cone if in a state w/o front plate?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by DMage, Feb 9, 2016.

1. DMage

DMage Member

Planning on picking my car up Thursday and received pictures of it post-refurb and it had a front plate on it. I assumed as part of the refurb they would fix an obvious item like the front plate bracket if the CPO is coming from a state with front plate requirements to a state without.

Searching around on the forum found several mentions from CPO buyers regarding Tesla fixing this. My DS mentions they do not do this as part of the CPO.

Anyone here buy a CPO with a front plate bracket and get stuck with it in a state that doesn't require front plates?

2. pchilds

pchilds Member

My CPO came without the plate attached. I live in a front plate required state.

3. DMage

DMage Member

Interesting. I'm in the reverse situation, car came from CA with a front plate bracket and FL does not require. Seems crazy to not fix this as part of CPO and be stuck with a front plate bracket.

4. DMage

DMage Member

So maybe the question to ask is - did you buy your CPO car from a state that requires a front plate when yours does not, and was there a front plate bracket on the car at delivery or a new, hole/plate free nose cone? I have to assume there are a lot of CPO cars shipping out of California to non-front plate states. Perhaps most service centers when refurbing CPOs just automatically do this so buyers never notice?

5. StaceyS

StaceyS Member

My CPO car came from Ohio, which requires a front plate. It came to Oregon (through Fremont), which also requires a front plate. There was no plate shown in the pre-purchase photos, and the car arrived with an unmarred nose cone and no license plate bracket.

My front plate rides around in the frunk. I'm going to plead stupidity as to how to attach the front plate when/if I get pulled over. (I actually have already been pulled over, for driving with my fog lights on. It was a Saturday before Thanksgiving, I think the sheriff's deputy was just cruising for DUI's. I'm glad he didn't mention the missing plate.)

6. DCAC

DCAC Member

Yes I bought mine from a state (IL) that requires a front plate and my state does not. I asked about this prior to delivery and was told I was out of luck. The night before delivery, my DS sent me a photo of the car prepped for delivery (in the store) and it still had the front plate bracket. When I arrived for delivery, the DS was nice enough to scrounge up a used but undrilled nose cone from another trade-in car and popped it on my car.

Don't sweat it, several cheap on eBay:
    TESLA MODEL S GRILLE 2012 2013 2014 GLOSSY BLACK OEM 1023312 1017415 | eBay

7. miamibeacher

miamibeacher Member

My car has a front plate bracket.

Tesla replaced the bumper, but added the bracket back on. Oh well.

8. green1

green1 Active Member

My car was an inventory car from Ontario where front plates are required, I live in Alberta where they are not. Bracket for the plate was in the trunk and no holes noticeable on the front of the car.

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

CA may require it. But after 33 years living here without one, I have never had an issue.

Hmmm. I should not have said that. :frown:

10. DougH

DougH Active Member

Agreed.

11. CLLACAB

CLLACAB Member

Mine had the plate, but the nose cone was damaged. I instructed them not to put the bracket on when they replaced it.

12. jimtelsa

jimtelsa Member

I requested my CPO car to have a clean cone. And Tesla did just that. They included a bracket if needed.

13. seclinton

seclinton Member

Mine is a front plate state CA, and car was born and lived her early life in CA also. Even as a CPO, no nose piercing was done. Perhaps when she's older....nah screw it. I'll risk the fine. Will get one for my tint anyway when that time comes too.

OT
    Funny because a very nice cop in Mountain View stopped me for "almost running a stop sign". i.e. I didn't see it due to the bus in front of me and started to go, then jerked to a stop, coincidentally at the intersection. He pulled me over, chided me for having a car that "already" gains attention, doesn't need near blacked out windows all around. Yet, I got nothing basically by saying, yup, you got me. must have helped having my three kids in the back saying hello to the officer too.

14. DMage

DMage Member

Thanks everyone for the info. Sounds like all but one person so far was able to get it replaced if it had a front plate bracket already. Seems like something they should just do by default with CPOs.