Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Experience/Process December 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
speaking of which I just got an email saying my CPO has takata bags. Debating if I should wait for this to be fixed b/f p/u. I did get them to do the steering recall "which wasn't a big deal".

I got that notice after picking up my car,, 18 months ago,, so don't expect and speedy remedy ;)
Oh and another this week but I'll probably have a newer car before this one gets replaced.. under warranty..

They don't look at the cars until the day before delivery, so it's literally luck of the draw.
I learned the hard way, that the "look" they give the cars may not be so great either. After picking up the car from Orlando and driving to West Palm Beach, I finally figured out how to see the tire pressure status. Found one tire dangerously overinflated (76 psi cold) verified by gauge and one tire underinflated which started out as a slow leak (something in the tire) and ended with a flat tire before I'd had the car a week.

They don't look at the cars until the day before delivery, so it's literally luck of the draw.
And you are absolutely correct and that’s the problem. It should be a legal problem for them too. On their website for the car anyone chooses it says the car has gone through a mechanical inspection, but it clearly has not. They don’t check anything until just before delivery.

Maybe everyone can help resolve these problems through social media. I’ve begun sending tweets to Tesla and I’ve copied the link to this thread so they can see this is not an isolated case and not just me that’s had a bad experience. Example below:

“@elonmusk @larryellison Tesla’s CPO (Certified Pre Owned) process has to be addressed. We are being lied to. These cars are not being checked until they are purchased and we are being told, in writing, they are. Help please!”

If others do the same, in their own words, maybe we can make a change in this process.

I picked up my car today (28 full days after placing the order; today was the 29th). This was even when paying $2000 to have it brought from MA to NJ, as I was told I could not pick-up from MA. Still trying to see if I have some recourse here. $2000 for 200 miles was hard to swallow, but $10 a mile, plus having to wait 28 days is even worse.

Almost
everything was fine.

Some of the issues:

- two visible scuffs on the front bumper, driver's side (not visible in the pictures, as that side was omitted; deep enough to make it impossible to fix with touch-up paint)
- quite a bit more wear than expected to the driver seat leather (also not included in pictures)
- a smallish scratch on the leather on one of the back seats (also not shown in pictures)
- the car was not cleaned on the inside (or if it was, it was a while ago). They did a quick wipe down at the delivery center after I pointed it out. I was under the impression that the used cars where now detailed, but not refurbished. Apparently their are not detailed either.
- on the exterior the car had some sap residue and some tiny (wall?) paint drops all over, which made it difficult to tell where the rock chips where. Took a while to look over, but there were only a few actual chips.

Apart from that, it had some small rock chips (not too many, not significant and not in easy to spot places anyway), which I consider normal wear and tear for the age of the car (2015 Model S 85D).

All in all, no big surprises at pick-up, although I still have to get it cleaned inside and out.