Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Order delay and general lack of urgency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's any consolation, during that first week I had put my deposit down (I believe Wed 4/29 to be exact), the Tyson's Corner store sent me pics of my car and it hadn't been fully reconditioned/cleaned up yet. I could see the prior owners personal effects in one photo. But I'm assured the car is going to be perfect at pickup in 8 hours!! :)

- - - Updated - - -

A special thank you to you. Your blog was my introduction to Tesla and your cost just ovation post really made this a reality. Here I am, only five months after reading every post on your blog, picking up my very own Tesla!!!

Awesome, congrats! Regardless, Tesla will stand by what they do from what i've seen.

- - - Updated - - -

Depending on when this was taken, one of these is mine. Paramus is the "New York" location on the CPO site.

Ah had I known I could have walked around looking for the VIN, was just killing time charging and didnt want to jump the ditch to the burger place.

Detailing was pretty good, but not spectacular. There was pollen on the underside of the side mirrors, but everything else was great. Very clean, found a couple of nicks, but not bad at all! They did not let me keep the gigantic gift bow though. Oh wells :p

Mine was pretty much the same. A few swirls and clear coat scratches that will go away with paint correction (and then nano coating), one pea sized dent in the hood (no scratch), and two spots that were touched up poorly. I mentioned those two, each one only the size of kosher salt, and they said they would talk with my local service center if there is anything we could work out. They had replaced two wheels, refinished one (to remove rash), and the fourth wheel was fine. All floor mats were replaced, the headliner had minor scuff marks (no tears, just dirt spots), new tires. Nothing unexpected for a two year old car with 30k miles.

Last edited:
Mine was pretty much the same. A few swirls and clear coat scratches that will go away with paint correction (and then nano coating), one pea sized dent in the hood (no scratch), and two spots that were touched up poorly. I mentioned those two, each one only the size of kosher salt, and they said they would talk with my local service center if there is anything we could work out. That had replaced two wheels, refinished one (to remove rash), and the fourth wheel was fine. All floor mats were replaced, the headliner had minor scuff marks (no tears, just dirt spots), new tires. Nothing unexpected for a two year old car with 30k miles.

Rest assured for those cautious about picking up a CPO from Tesla that they do their best to make these to be in "like new" condition. Aside from the part that their detailing department isn't the best, the inspection to ensure proper functionality across the entire vehicle is exceptional. Glad to hear that even vehicles with 30k miles on them are still in pristine condition aside from very minor discrepancies.

Glad to hear all these reports on conditioning - especially on the 200 point inspection and functionality of the car. I'm set for Monday!!!

Mine had fit and alignment issues (left side had gaps larger than right side) , bumper was not original (had paint work done prior with bad edges) , a bit of road rash, a chip in the windshield, a 2 inch scratch on the center console area, dust/pollen inside the center rear view mirror, two penny sized dents in the rear bumper, fogged up rear tail lights, leather peeling on both rear side doors, fit and alignment issues on front fenders, one side has larger gap than the other, a chip on the windshield, and only a max rated range (on range mode full charge) of 245 miles on a p85 with 26k miles.

They put everything on the due bill except the battery. Will have to see what happens with that... Be very forceful about your issues and the SC will take care of all of it. Just wanted to say not every cpo is "like-new" luckily for me, my SC did not fight me on any of those and is eager to work with me (cpo was shipped to them).

So you guys think a 3 week wait is perfectly okay when purchasing a car that's already built and just sitting on a lot somewhere?
It wouldn't be with me.

I'm not at that point....... yet, but I seem to be falling into the same situation as you. Put a deposit down early last week and had the cash ready to purchase the next day. A week later and I still don't even have a target date for when I can get the car. My situation is complicated by my Trade-In. The paperwork on the offer says it's only good for 7 days and only if I don't exceed 250 miles (from when they looked at it). this means not only do I not have my CPO car, but I also can't drive my current car lest I exceed that figure and have to get the car re-appraised (most likely for less $$$$)

My OA has been nothing but helpful, responsive and an overall pleasure to deal with. So far I am less than impressed with the DS however. I agree with somebody else that said Tesla was likely overwhelmed by the response on the CPO cars, but my understanding is that my car has been inspected and updated and merely needs to get on the schedule for detailing. I'm promised a return call by EOB today, we'll see if it happens or I need to be Pro-Active and initiate contact........again.

11258622_10203755169670748_981433625_n.jpg
IMG_0055.jpg
Picked up the car over the weekend, decided to post some pics :)

As promised, my DS did call me back today. Looks like Thursday is the day. Hopefully I'll have a picture to post that looks somewhat like what uisynot posted, a smiling owner with a white tesla and a red bow. :)

If everything works as scheduled, I can't complain that it will have taken about a week to get my car. I just wish the communication from my DS would not have been so hit or miss.

I am guessing that the DS's are spread pretty thin. If a DS delivers 1-3 cars per day, and the wait time from order averages 2 months, then a typical DS is managing about 60 cars and future owners. That is a lot of people, a fair number of which I imagine can be characterized as "high needs individuals". That is my theory. Does anyone here have insight into this?

Drucifer, our DS covers people from NC, SC, and VA. I imagine there are at least a handful of owners he is working with. The one in DC that picked me up said he works most days until 9 pm for buyers in the DC area. Spread thin seems likely.