Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO (P)85D vs New 75D

Which next car?

• CPO 85D

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • CPO P85D

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • New 75D

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • BMW M2

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everybody,

First post, been reading a bit and could use some advice. I just finished a lease on a 2015 BMW M3 and thinking maybe a Tesla Model S as the next car (better daily driver, comfort, still fast, electric and I'm a techie...) Realizing I want more than 3 years, planning to buy the next ride.

I was initially looking at the CPO pages at the 85D, or even a slightly older P85D but after some research I found myself wondering if it would be a better plan to stretch a little and get a new 75D.

Looks like the range is just about the same, 0-60 of new 75D v CPO 85D looks about the same and the 75D would have newer AutoPilot HW.

Doing the math, the new 75D is about $5-$10K more total cost with similar monthly payments just longer term.

Any of my assumptions wrong?
Thanks for the input!
---
upload_2017-10-18_18-5-0.png

With all the recent upgrades the new 75D has had (performance increased from 5.2 to 4.3 seconds zero to sixty, standard power lift gate, standard glass roof, standard smart air suspension, standard turning lights, AutoPilot 2.5) plus the federal tax credit ($7500) and $1000 off with referral code (and free unlimited supercharging), I would suggest going with a new 75D.

Thx for the input.
I should have mentioned I factored in the $1k referral credit, my cousin has one I'd use.

I've driven an early P85 and drove a friend's 2015 85D, definitely a bigger car but the kids would like that better than cramming them into the back of the M2.

I did have a ton of fun with track days in the M3 but thinking of separating the track/weekend car from the commuter. If I did the 75D that would leave me enough $ for a 1990's era 3 series for the track ;-)

Isn’t a used P85 or P85+ a more appropriate comp for the 75D? Since you’re considering the bimmer I assume AWD isn’t a critical factor. You’ll find you can get a nice track car with the savings on the above and equal or better perfofmance than the newer car.

Isn’t a used P85 or P85+ a more appropriate comp for the 75D? Since you’re considering the bimmer I assume AWD isn’t a critical factor. You’ll find you can get a nice track car with the savings on the above and equal or better perfofmance than the newer car.

You're probably right, I'm OK with RWD in the rain. Snow/Ice, the M3 stayed home and the old diesel 4x4 truck got some exercise.

For the Tesla, I started looking more at the tech like AutoPilot, most P85 don't have it, and the logic went "CPO 85D.. hey wait... P85D one year older is only $5k more and it's FASTER and still has autopilot 1.0... hey wait... New 75D has even more awesome AutoPilot 2.5 and 4.3 0-60 is quick enough..."

Believe me, if I thought I could swing it I'd be grabbing the P100D but I'm still trying to wrap my head around spending $70 to $85k on a car.

You're probably right, I'm OK with RWD in the rain. Snow/Ice, the M3 stayed home and the old diesel 4x4 truck got some exercise.

For the Tesla, I started looking more at the tech like AutoPilot, most P85 don't have it, and the logic went "CPO 85D.. hey wait... P85D one year older is only $5k more and it's FASTER and still has autopilot 1.0... hey wait... New 75D has even more awesome AutoPilot 2.5 and 4.3 0-60 is quick enough..."

Believe me, if I thought I could swing it I'd be grabbing the P100D but I'm still trying to wrap my head around spending $70 to $85k on a car.

Some would say that AP2.5 has not yet caught up to AP1.0. For whatever that's worth.

Reactions: sakimano
Yeah, the AP part gets old quickly and AP 1 has enough gee whiz stuff to keep you happy even if AP 2.5 gets better over time.

(Of course I'm nudging you towards a P85D :) - see if you can get a Ludicrous upgrade on it after! I love mine to pieces almost 3 years and 26k miles on.)

(Of course I'm nudging you towards a P85D :) - see if you can get a Ludicrous upgrade on it after! I love mine to pieces almost 3 years and 26k miles on.)

what is better with the P85D? Without Ludicrous mode, the performance are very close to a 75D.
The 75D has much better seat, new design and AP HW (will help for resale), more option (air suspension, glass roof...), is 2 years newer...
For the price difference, I think this is a no brainer honestly.

Opinions of course will be biased from people who recently had made a similar decision. It also matters how you ask the question. If you ask the same question slightly differently you'd probably get a much different answer. For example, ask whether anyone who has an older P85D, would they exchange it for for a brand new 75D if given a clean swap offer? I suspect most P85D drivers would not want to "upgrade" to a brand new 75D.

It just so happens that we have both in our garage, a P85D and a 75D. I gotta say, if we could have had a used P85D back in December for the same price as new 75D, we'd have gone with another P85D - I know, I looked. Btw, for me another attractive part of P85D is the + suspension which was discontinued ~ 5/2015 - but that is purely a matter of preference.

In the end it has to be your decision @Hedgehog3141. If I were you, I'd test drive the P85D and a 75D. I suspect my decision would be highly dependent of the state of the P85D (how "used" it is).

what is better with the P85D? Without Ludicrous mode, the performance are very close to a 75D.
We have both (ok, P85D has ludicrous but it didn't at first so I experienced that for a year) and no, they do not have the same performance. When I had P85D without ludicrous, I had 85D loaners, and there is a very discernible difference. Now, how much that difference is worth to you, that is purely a personal choice.

Reactions: davidc18
if the numbers are close I would opt for the newest possible car. buying a tesla is not like buying any other vehicle because of the level of technology that you're buying. other than the AP2/fsd fiasco when it comes to tesla newer is always better.

Reactions: davidc18
We have both (ok, P85D has ludicrous but it didn't at first so I experienced that for a year) and no, they do not have the same performance. When I had P85D without ludicrous, I had 85D loaners, and there is a very discernible difference. Now, how much that difference is worth to you, that is purely a personal choice.

Am I wrong that performance from the P85D and the new 75D after July 1st are the same?
The 85D is slower than a new 75D though, that is clear...

Not sure if this was already mentioned, but you have to factor in the warranty. 4 yrs vs 8 (if you keep cars that long). I think the CPO warranties are great, but the long warranty on the new car is what pushed me to order a new 75D. Not to mention the quality and features in the new Teslas far eclipse some of the old packages and such.

Lastly, I really wanted the solid glass roof. I mean it was a huge thing for me. Not much of a sunroof/moonroof kind of guy, I like having a solid roof over me now (less wind noise, chance for water intrusion, etc) and a solid glass one is even more awesome!

Reactions: MSDadMich
CPO 85D - cheaper, newer than the P, and the most range out of all your options. IMO every single mile counts. Take this from someone who has driven is nissan leaf and tesla to the brink and back. There have been so many times when an extra 2 or 3 miles was the difference between making it home (or to a charger) or having to stop and charge before I came home. Miles >>>>> All.