Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO (P)85D vs New 75D

Which next car?

• CPO 85D

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • CPO P85D

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • New 75D

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • BMW M2

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went through a similar analysis of what to purchase starting in July and the announcement that Tesla had dropped the 0-60 times on the 75D sealed the decision. I have no regrets. While the extra power would have been fun on a P85D, it would be a rare occasion to use it on my daily commute in the Seattle area. I didn't get around to actually purchasing until Sept which provided me the opportunity to get the updated rear seats and AP2.5 on a late Aug build.

Having had a few P85D loaners since my purchase to fix a few things I am surprised at how many things have changed in the interior. Mostly for the better.

Seems the 3 cars might not be equipped identically.

It seems you included paint, EAP and premium interior on the 75D, but not leather/synthetic seats. I would imagine a lot of the 85D/P85Ds do have leather. Is leather/synthetic important to you? if not, then it doesn't matter.

The 75D has a center console standard, the 85D/P85D might not. Though you can retrofit it. Is this important?

The 85D/P85D probably have the next-gen seats (or regular seats), the new seats are much better than the old ones, IMO. MUCH more comfortable, and I don't mind the old seats at all.

You forgot to add the $1,200 destination fee on the 75D, but you said you have a referral so that takes $1k out of it.

In another thread, someone said that you can finance a new car from Tesla at 0.99% APR, not 1.49%, if true, that would save a little on the lifetime interest.

Your spreadsheet total cost is a little misleading, try to factor in sale price after you're done with the car (unless you plan to keep it until it dies), that would give you the true differential between each car. I would still expect the new car to be the most expensive.

I bought new at the time because there weren't any used AWD cars with AP. If I had to do it again? I'd probably wait for a good deal on a highly depreciated/price reduced 1-2 year old CPO car OR inventory car.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Seems the 3 cars might not be equipped identically.
>Yep, just trying to balance rough prices with what was available on EV-CPO

It seems you included paint, EAP and premium interior on the 75D, but not leather/synthetic seats. I would imagine a lot of the 85D/P85Ds do have leather. Is leather/synthetic important to you? if not, then it doesn't matter.
>Not really, I've been reading that the new base seat material is pretty nice and durable though I need to check it out in-person.

The 75D has a center console standard, the 85D/P85D might not. Though you can retrofit it. Is this important?
>Nice to have

The 85D/P85D probably have the next-gen seats (or regular seats), the new seats are much better than the old ones, IMO. MUCH more comfortable, and I don't mind the old seats at all.
>Good to know, definitely would prefer the next-gen or the new ones.

You forgot to add the $1,200 destination fee on the 75D, but you said you have a referral so that takes $1k out of it.

In another thread, someone said that you can finance a new car from Tesla at 0.99% APR, not 1.49%, if true, that would save a little on the lifetime interest.

Your spreadsheet total cost is a little misleading, try to factor in sale price after you're done with the car (unless you plan to keep it until it dies), that would give you the true differential between each car. I would still expect the new car to be the most expensive.
>I was planning on keeping this next car for a loooong time, but yeah figure the new one has a steeper depreciation curve.

I bought new at the time because there weren't any used AWD cars with AP. If I had to do it again? I'd probably wait for a good deal on a highly depreciated/price reduced 1-2 year old CPO car OR inventory car.
>Thanks for the input!

Reactions: Max*
I went through a similar analysis of what to purchase starting in July and the announcement that Tesla had dropped the 0-60 times on the 75D sealed the decision. I have no regrets. While the extra power would have been fun on a P85D, it would be a rare occasion to use it on my daily commute in the Seattle area. I didn't get around to actually purchasing until Sept which provided me the opportunity to get the updated rear seats and AP2.5 on a late Aug build.

Having had a few P85D loaners since my purchase to fix a few things I am surprised at how many things have changed in the interior. Mostly for the better.

I'm starting to agree the new 75D would be quick enough. Found that I can rent both the 75D and P85D on Turo for a couple days and see which one I like better :) Sort of like an extended test drive...

Reactions: MSDadMich
Hegehog3141, I am almost in exactly the same situation you are - only my 2015 M3 lease hasn't run out yet. :) I haven't had the opportunity to drive a P85D, but what I will say is the (uncorked) 75D feels far quicker than my F80 in real world conditions. For me, that is good enough since I have an E36M3 track car to keep me from getting kicked out of BMWCCA. I'm leaning heavily towards a new 75D for the interior changes and AP hardware, though the advantages over AP1.0 seem to be debatable.

It seems the 0.99% financing was only for Q2 - in Q3 it's 1.49%. I'm keeping an eye out for an inventory car but none of them have the 21" wheels. If I can find an inventory 100D that leases in the ballpark of the 75D, I'll try to stretch a little.

As far as performance goes the P85D goes 0-60 in 3.1 vs the 75D in 4.3 (I think?). I have a P85+, performance is 0-60 in 4.2 so similar to the 75D which is more than enough. Like some mentioned, the P85D comes with the + suspension and is a different car in terms of handling than the 75D.

I don't think that any of the car's you're looking at are a bad choice. If you're going to compare ICE vs Tesla, you might want to factor in the fuel savings in your analysis (just an idea).

Good luck! :)

Am I wrong that performance from the P85D and the new 75D after July 1st are the same?
The 85D is slower than a new 75D though, that is clear...
I don't think it's that clear at all. 75D today claims 4.2s 0-60, 85D was originally speced at 5.2 but got an OTA at some to get it to 4.2s (see table from Tesla website below from when they came clean on the P85D hp). There was a hosepower difference of 46hp from 85D to P85D and a much larger torque difference (713lb-ft vs. 485lb-ft). I can't seem to find horsepower or torque numbers for latest S75D (maybe Tesla learned not to disclose those numbers so people can't complain?). There is 518hp number floating around the net but that is from a wiki page here which lists P85D at 762hp which is what the motors *would be* capable of if the battery, inverter and all the wiring could provide it (as per Tesla's own admission, those limit the P85D to 463hp). Note also that 75 batteries have lower voltage, so at the same current they deliver less power than the 85 battery.

Bottom line, 0-60 may be similar between 75 and 100 today, but something tells me 30-80 the 100 will be faster. 0-30 most Tesla's are traction limited and do not put our max power. P85D is faster 0-60 than S75D even on paper, but I suspect even bigger difference 30+.

P85D specs.png

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and GSP
Just want to throw this out, Might not be for you.

A Model S 75. (No D)

I'm picking up mine tomorrow. Out the door price was 74,700.00. Model S 75. I found a CPO in FL. but the sales adviser found a new one at Tesla with the Air sup. and so on. Same setup as 75 D. plus 1500 Discount. I don't know if it's a AP 2.0 or 2.5.

Model S 75 62,000 Including $7,500.00 Federal Tax Credit

EXTERIOR Pearl White Multi-Coat Paint 1,500

Glass Roof Included 19" Silver Slipstream Wheels Included

INTERIOR Multi-Pattern Black Included Dark Ash Wood Décor Included Dark Headliner

Included CHARGING Free Supercharging Included OPTIONS

Enhanced Autopilot 5,000

Smart Air Suspension Included

Documentation Fee 75

Destination Fee 1,125

Referral (1,000)

Price Adjustment (1,500)

VEHICLE PRICE AFTER TAX CREDIT 67,200

• Informative
Reactions: thegooch49
what is better with the P85D? Without Ludicrous mode, the performance are very close to a 75D.
The 75D has much better seat, new design and AP HW (will help for resale), more option (air suspension, glass roof...), is 2 years newer...
For the price difference, I think this is a no brainer honestly.
Doesn't have better seats. Has the same seats if thr P85D has next Gen.

The new AP hw...you mean the one people keep complaining about? I'd be happy with AP1 in the P85D.

The P85D has most if not all of the options you're talking about in the new car other than the new fascia, is less money, will depreciate less (your true cost of ownership). The PO'S spreadsheet is nice but it assumes you're depreciating the car to zero. He has said he changes cars every few years. When you factor in expected depreciation the P85D is even more inexpensive.

Oh and it will absolutely slaughter just about any car in the world in any race below 100 mph, including the 75D which it will put bus lengths on.

It will then go another 50-60 miles farther in range.

There's a case to be made for both but for me the P85D is way more special.

New Model S have Tesla's "premium seats." These are reported to be made in house by Tesla and feel much more comfortable than the standard seats in my 2015 S85D. CPO cars with the optional "Next gen" seats, reported to be made by Recardo (a long time supplier of high end automotive seats), are more comfortable than the standard seats. However, most reports say Tesla's new "premium seats" are even better, and they are standard in all new Mosel S and X.

The new cars have Tesla's center console, but I prefer the open storage area with "yacht floor" in my 2015. It provides a clean area to set my wife's purse, my iPad, a book, or any number of things. Otherwise I would have to open a rear door or trunk to stow the item before entering the car. Not a big deal, but another example of how Telsa can save your time. Even just a few seconds here and there are appreciated.

I would go with the new 75D.

GSP

First of all why are you putting $35k down on a 1.49 loan?

Second is there an option for inventory/showroom 75D?

Maybe he has the cash and wants a low monthly payment. That's my situation at least.

That's a good point. Changing from $35K to $5k down only adds about $2k in additional interest over the 72months. That might be worth it to keep the cash handy.

re: Inventory, another forum member has helpfully pointed me to an OA that found an inventory 75D with a bit of a discount.

Normal only a lurker but decided to post because I recently went through the same EXACT dilemma. 75D or CPO P85D. I highly recommend that you drive both of these vehicles, as much as Tesla will let you (I did). I even rented both off of a car rental app for longer periods of time, so that I could experience "living" with the car. Your consideration of an "M" car vs a standard 3 series clues me into your thinking a bit.

Both cars are quick to be certain (mid 12 sec 1/4 miles vs. mid 11 sec 1/4 mile). However, I have always been a performance car guy myself and its part of why I drive a Tesla and not a Nissan Leaf, anymore. The litmus test I used has to do with two identically optioned Ford Mustangs. One is the 5.0 (about $5k more) and the other is the 6 cylinder version. If you'd say the 6 cylinder, then go with the 75d, if you'd say the V8, get the P85D. I also find its best if I ask what triggers your buyers remorse the most? Having paid more money for more performance, or paying less but always being a little jealous of P-D owners that roll up at the old supercharger station?

I couldn't be happier with my P85D, though people outside of this community (97%) can't tell the difference. All they "might" know is its a Tesla. Now, how could I go about convincing Tesla to sell me the Ludicrous upgrade? ;)

IMG_2217-2.JPG

Reactions: Nick B and sakimano
I own a P85D and recently drove several thousand miles in an S75. Both are great cars. When I returned to my own P85D I felt as though I had suddenly had a massive upgrade. No question about it, you can have a new Tesla for the same price, maybe even a little less. With the P you’ll drive with a large grin on your face.
Is it necessary? Of course not!
Is it the most rational choice? Obviously not!

Will it make you happier? Yes, if you really like high performance. No, if only very good is good enough.