Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO prices increasing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will certainly be a supply/demand function somewhere.

If I had to guess the glut was caused by the expiry of the end of 4 year leases, the leasing program started late 2014 (deliveries early 2015). There was also a 5 year leasing option so perhaps a similar glut will occur early next year. At which point the supply of used Tesla's will normalize to a steady rate.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
There's no more CPO program. These are Tesla inspected used cars.

If I had to guess the glut was caused by the expiry of the end of 4 year leases, the leasing program started late 2014 (deliveries early 2015). There was also a 5 year leasing option so perhaps a similar glut will occur early next year. At which point the supply of used Tesla's will normalize to a steady rate.
Except for the number of used Model S was higher last year & began falling end of last year into the start of this year & took a nose dive the last few months.

Reactions: maximizese
They certainly can temporarily when one entity controls nearly all of the supply.

I agree. To be specific I mean the Tesla inspected used cars lowest prices facelifts

There's no more CPO program. These are Tesla inspected used cars.

Except for the number of used Model S was higher last year & began falling end of last year into the start of this year & took a nose dive the last few months.

I started looking @ end of last year into the start of this year. So maybe I'm biased and missed the crater?

I just finished purchasing a used s from Tesla. By my observation they would list a car on the high side and then drop the price by about $300 a day on average. If the price got to low and the car didn’t move they would pull it off and reliant it later at a higher price. Some cars had been in that process for up to 6 months. However, in the last month Tesla pulled almost all of the less desirable/lower priced/older cars off and hasn’t relisted them. I have a friend who is a car dealer who says that Tesla puts these cars out on the dealer auction sites. I believe that is why the prices appear to have risen in the last few weeks.

I started out thinking “higher price=better car”. I realized later that is not true. The price is also tied to the time the car has been on the market and you would find vehicles that were virtually identical with significant price differences. I watched numerous cars drop thousands of dollars over the course of a couple weeks and then disappear from the site, either sold or just pulled off to be relisted later or sent to auction.

I just bought a cheaper s60 car from Tesla 3 weeks ago and now am looking for a second one... me and a few other forum members think they may use them as loaners or they will relist them towards the end of this quarter to get the revenue numbers up.

What? I’ve never heard of a 5 year lease.
Tesla only offered 2 and 3 year leases with a 6 month extension option
Not sure where you got the 4-5 year leases from

What? I’ve never heard of a 5 year lease.
Tesla only offered 2 and 3 year leases with a 6 month extension option
Not sure where you got the 4-5 year leases from

Corporate Leasing FAQ
At the start your lease, you can choose a lease term from 1 to 5 years. You also have the option for an early buyout, subject to the term and conditions of the lessor.

5s definitely existed at some point.

• Informative
Reactions: AMPd
Wow never heard of that before.
Ah now I look into it further it may have been corporate leases only, and usually for small fleets. I thought they had it for individuals at first too, then cancelled it but can't find much to back that up now. Am 99.99% sure there were 4 year leases at first and that was a really good option at that time and is still my main justification for a small glut in used cars at the start of this year.

I just bought a cheaper s60 car from Tesla 3 weeks ago and now am looking for a second one... me and a few other forum members think they may use them as loaners or they will relist them towards the end of this quarter to get the revenue numbers up.
I agree with you. It was just after the end of the quarter when they pulled the less desirable cars off the used website.

• Informative
Reactions: Iceh8r and vickh
I was able to snag a USED/CPO 2015 S 85D with 27K for $44,800. Took delivery April 27th. It was fairly loaded except Air Suspension and UHFS. It even had the LTE upgrade. Car is in MINT condition. It started at $47,200 and was lowered every week or so until I pulled the trigger. It looks as though many of the same year/model/options cars are now starting in upper $40k's.

I was able to snag a USED/CPO 2015 S 85D with 27K for $44,800. Took delivery April 27th. It was fairly loaded except Air Suspension and UHFS. It even had the LTE upgrade. Car is in MINT condition. It started at $47,200 and was lowered every week or so until I pulled the trigger. It looks as though many of the same year/model/options cars are now starting in upper $40k's.
Prices of used Tesla's in the US are so much better than in Canada. Here's a listing close to where I live in Ontario. Prices are in CAD and the exchange rate is 1 US $ is = $1.35 CAD

upload_2019-5-14_13-32-42.png