Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, based on what I read, I think that the $8 per month fee is only for SCE. PGE is $6.7 or so.
No, the input from the Public Advocates Office and from the Joint Utilities proposed different rates for the different utilities ($5.76 - $7.66 / kW from the PAO, $10.24 - $14.13 / kW from the JOU), but the proposed Decision calls for $8/kW for all the IOUs. See section 8.5.3 of the proposed Decision.

There is also an "Initial Market Transition Credit" for the first so many years, which does vary by utility, $1.62/kW for normal residential PG&E. See section 8.5.2.

Cheers, Wayne

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder and Zorg
No, the input from the Public Advocates Office and from the Joint Utilities proposed different rates for the different utilities ($5.76 - $7.66 / kW from the PAO, $10.24 - $14.13 / kW from the JOU), but the proposed Decision calls for $8/kW for all the IOUs. See section 8.5.3 of the proposed Decision.

There is also an "Initial Market Transition Credit" for the first so many years, which does vary by utility, $1.62/kW for normal residential PG&E. See section 8.5.2.

Cheers, Wayne

I think the market transition credit (MTC) is only applied to existing homes that do not currently have solar in select areas. I believe the following categories are excluded from the gradual transition of fees ...

new homes built that have solar
homes currently with NEM 1.0 or 2.0 where their grandfathering expires
any home in the SCE coverage area

As more homeowners go all electric, gas utilities users will still have to pay to maintain their existing network of pipelines, which could mean higher costs for the smaller base of remaining customers; this is very similar to the $/KW proposed charge on Solar customers.

Statewide policies need to be applied more cohesively if California wants to continue to advance its ESG goals. Penalizing Solar customers for a perceived fairness issue will just mean that because of the additional fees, people are either going to pause plans for additional personal investments and eventually people are going to exit the system as storage technology allows.

Reactions: h2ofun and brian.c
Anyone (solar/non solar) who lives in a Wildland Urban Interface (WUI) will ultimately cost more to serve because of the expense involved in hardening the distribution system and rising utility insurance rates. Addressing wildfire risk means that IOU's will decrease system reliability through public power power shut off (PSPS) events while at the same time saddle all Californians with even higher utility rates.

Ultimately, if California is to maintain energy access for middle and low-income residents, utilities must spend less....and certain remote customers will likely have to spend more for grid access/reliability.
Yes, but then, when that 10k mi underground insurance should come down as would their operating costs.
Also, let's not forget that 10k mi of construction will be tax deductible, billions.

Reactions: sunwarriors
My Natural gas bill ("The gas company") averages about $22-25 a month, except for dec and jan when I use my central heat. Its about $80-90 for those two months. My bill from the gas company (thats the gas utility name for those unaware) is a complete non issue for me, really. Not nearly enough for me to consider moving to electric for water heater, or my dryer (the dryer would be considerable expense, with a new line run, etc).

I have a gas dryer (no electric plug in my laundry room), but my double ovens are electric. I do have a 6 burner gas stove though, and a gas water heater.

My latest PG&E gas bill just came in. $216.15 for gas for the period ending Dec 10 😿. But look at that juicy NEM 2.0 electricity cost.

In a few years, this same bill will be like $500 of NG. plus another $200 of NEM 4.20 fixed costs fees.

1640109309071.png

My latest PG&E gas bill just came in. $216.15 for gas for the period ending Dec 10 😿. But look at that juicy NEM 2.0 electricity cost.

In a few years, this same bill will be like $500 of NG. plus another $200 of NEM 4.20 fixed costs fees.

View attachment 746696
$200+ for gas? Holy crap. All our appliances are gas (water heater, dryer, oven/range, furnace, fireplace) and our bill is seldom above $80 in the winter and $30 in the summer

$200+ for gas? Holy crap. All our appliances are gas (water heater, dryer, oven/range, furnace, fireplace) and our bill is seldom above $80 in the winter and $30 in the summer

Yeah, Like I mentioned earlier, my Natural gas bill in dec and jan runs around $90-100, and i have a NG 6 burner cooktop, gas heating, and a gas dryer, in a 3300SQ house. I still have no clue why (for example) NG would be so much cheaper for us than for people in PGE or SDGE territory, in the same state (for example).

I also have no clue why 40 cents a kWh is "not enough for us to maintain the grid" in CA, while in nevada, 15 cents a kWh is enough. Im not smart enough to understand why that is.

Yeah, Like I mentioned earlier, my Natural gas bill in dec and jan runs around $90-100, and i have a NG 6 burner cooktop, gas heating, and a gas dryer, in a 3300SQ house. I still have no clue why (for example) NG would be so much cheaper for us than for people in PGE or SDGE territory, in the same state (for example).

I also have no clue why 40 cents a kWh is "not enough for us to maintain the grid" in CA, while in nevada, 15 cents a kWh is enough. Im not smart enough to understand why that is.

My kitchen and dryer are all electric. Only the furnace and water heater are gas. Wife likes it really warm in the house.

That would not account for that much of a difference. SoCal Gas is about $0.50 per therm total including fees and taxes. And there are no tier charges; same rate all the time. PG&E is 2 to 4 times that
My November PG&E bill shows that thru 10/31 Tier 1 Gas was $1.88/Therm and Tier 2 was $2.36/Therm. On 11/1 it went up to $2.01/Therm in Tier 1. I didn't have any Tier 2 usage after 11/2, so I don't know what that price was. Apparently the Tier 1 allowance went from 0.49Therm/day to 1.55Therm/day on 11/1.

My total gas charges were ~$50 for 10/20-11/17. December and January are usually significantly higher due to higher central heating load. About 9 months of the year, the majority of my gas bill is for hot water.