Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC NEM 3.0 discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do they have no burn days in the East Bay? I use only my fireplace insert for all my heating needs in the winter, but I do not have no burn days. PG&E never got off their @$$ to install a gas line to our neck of the woods. I am pretty certain that is why they do not have no burn days out here, people would freeze to death. An EPA approved insert or stove is generally 80% efficient.
In Southern California at least, no burn orders do not apply to communities above 3000 ft and homes that have no natural gas service or use wood as their sole source of heating are exempt.

Reactions: Zabe
Lol you all coming at this with some like eco-zero-emission lens and stuff. I just dislike California Energy Policy and the IOUs.
  • Then PG&E wants to raise the price of NG by 50%.
  • There's a "NG party is ending" crowd that thinks everyone should just go full electric, so this NG cost increase is a good thing to drive new behaviors.
  • The IOU's makes it oppressively difficult to get large solar arrays to support converting homes to all-electric (NEM 3.0 fixed costs and NEM 2.0 restrictions on over-sizing)
  • There's also the reality that most California homes don't have enough roof space to oversize PV generation anyway to support a 100% electric home without literally re-doing the house.
  • Then, the IOUs wants to basically gut net metering by penalizing kW solar generation.
  • Further, the IOUs want previous solar + ESS customers to have grandfathering terminate early.
  • Then people are all upset because "wood burning is bad for the environment"
From my vantage point, the only behavior that makes economic sense for 2035 is to prepare a non-exporting PV+ESS system, and install some wood burning fireplace/inserts. This lets you minimize your reliance on a single fuel/energy-source and also gives more options than tying things to the IOUs.

This fireplace insert looks like a great solution. Wood burning is the future ya'll. Get on this bandwagon now.
Regency Cascades i2500

Lol you all coming at this with some like eco-zero-emission lens and stuff. I just dislike California Energy Policy and the IOUs.
  • There's a "NG party is ending" crowd that thinks everyone should just go full electric, so this NG cost increase is a good thing to drive new behaviors.
  • The IOU's makes it oppressively difficult to get large solar arrays to support converting homes to all-electric (NEM 3.0 fixed costs and NEM 2.0 restrictions on over-sizing)
  • There's also the reality that most California homes don't have enough roof space to oversize PV generation anyway to support a 100% electric home without literally re-doing the house.
  • Then, the IOUs wants to basically gut net metering by penalizing kW solar generation.
  • Further, the IOUs want previous solar + ESS customers to have grandfathering terminate early.
From my vantage point, the only behavior that makes economic sense for 2035 is to prepare a non-exporting PV+ESS system, and install some wood burning fireplace/inserts. This lets you minimize your reliance on a single fuel/energy-source and also gives more options than tying things to the IOUs.

This fireplace insert looks like a great solution. Wood burning is the future ya'll. Get on this bandwagon now.
Regency Cascades i2500
If we want an all electric future, then we need to get the IOUs out of the way. They are the only thing standing in the way of people being able to go 100% electric, including an EV. I have lots of room for more solar, but after NEM3 there is no possible way I would be willing to invest in batteries or more solar. With the proposed increases on both solar and non solar users, our future will be $1000 a month energy bills. Soon, it will cost more to charge an EV at home, then to fill up an ICE vehicle. We are already to a point, where its sometimes cheaper to charge at supercharger then at home. This push to go all electric, then turn around and jack energy prices, and make more anti solar rules, is disingenuous. I disagree with many policies in CA, but I did agree with trying to generate more green energy, now I see its really all about the money. Green energy only matters if the right people control, and only the right people profit off of it. I have a feeling, CA will soon go after EV owners in the same way. Pretty soon they will not be equitable. They will need to double tax so we can make them more affordable to disadvantaged communities. It will be the rich EV owners not contributing to infrastructure etc.

Regency Cascades i2500
I would go with any of the Blaze King inserts due to the long burn times.

Blaze King Princess

We don't have any more roof space for panels unless we went to the north side, which also happens to be the street side. They would either have to be angled up, looking even uglier than following the root line, or be very inefficient

And many house don't have the the infrastructure to go all electric. They would have to rewire or add many more lines to their house to put in 240 outlets. And would have to upgrade their panel to accommodate the tripling or more of electric use and surge.

All house in our track built in the early 1970's does not have a single 240 outlet in the house and 100 amp panels. We had to upgrade our panel just to add a pool and that was only one 240 line

I would go with any of the Blaze King inserts due to the long burn times.

Blaze King Princess

I don't think I need burn times that long... the 12 hours on that other one I linked is also at an EPA measured 82% instead of the 75% in the Blaze King.

For real, it seems getting a stack of firewood to run a fireplace 12 hours a day is way cheaper than what I'd be paying PG&E for NG to run the downstairs gas furnace. And the furnace is a brand new Lennox Signature unit. Not some old AF unit from the 80's.

Maybe by 2035 we can use coal to power our Teslas... I do agree at the rate energy costs are rising + the rate the IOUs want to charge people for installing solar, it'll be cheaper to put gas in a generator and use the generator to charge the car.

I don't think I need burn times that long... the 12 hours on that other one I linked is also at an EPA measured 82% instead of the 75% in the Blaze King.

For real, it seems getting a stack of firewood to run a fireplace 12 hours a day is way cheaper than what I'd be paying PG&E for NG to run the downstairs gas furnace. And the furnace is a brand new Lennox Signature unit. Not some old AF unit from the 80's.

Maybe by 2035 we can use coal to power our Teslas... I do agree at the rate energy costs are rising + the rate the IOUs want to charge people for installing solar, it'll be cheaper to put gas in a generator and use the generator to charge the car.
FWIW, when I did the math on my wood stove compared to NG furnace last year, the furnace came out cheaper. Depending on where you live, firewood is pretty expensive

Reactions: h2ofun
We don't have any more roof space for panels unless we went to the north side, which also happens to be the street side. They would either have to be angled up, looking even uglier than following the root line, or be very inefficient

And many house don't have the the infrastructure to go all electric. They would have to rewire or add many more lines to their house to put in 240 outlets. And would have to upgrade their panel to accommodate the tripling or more of electric use and surge.

All house in our track built in the early 1970's does not have a single 240 outlet in the house and 100 amp panels. We had to upgrade our panel just to add a pool and that was only one 240 line
I put on tons of north panels. No way would wife allow me to tilt. So, really good in summer, if I can send back and get decent credit

If we want an all electric future, then we need to get the IOUs out of the way. They are the only thing standing in the way of people being able to go 100% electric, including an EV. I have lots of room for more solar, but after NEM3 there is no possible way I would be willing to invest in batteries or more solar. With the proposed increases on both solar and non solar users, our future will be $1000 a month energy bills. Soon, it will cost more to charge an EV at home, then to fill up an ICE vehicle. We are already to a point, where its sometimes cheaper to charge at supercharger then at home. This push to go all electric, then turn around and jack energy prices, and make more anti solar rules, is disingenuous. I disagree with many policies in CA, but I did agree with trying to generate more green energy, now I see its really all about the money. Green energy only matters if the right people control, and only the right people profit off of it. I have a feeling, CA will soon go after EV owners in the same way. Pretty soon they will not be equitable. They will need to double tax so we can make them more affordable to disadvantaged communities. It will be the rich EV owners not contributing to infrastructure etc.

I just think it's annoying that every policymaker and activist has an agenda to play. But ultimately all the ideas take a large amount of money. And all the ideas that look good on paper will usually benefit wealthier people since those are the folks who own property and could afford the investments. There is no magical way to have progress using without some lagging cohort of people who may not see the benefits up front.

But the recent expectation that it's ok to just jack up up energy rates and fees hoping The People "figure it out" is stupid.

The CPUC has so far avoided any requirement to ask PG&E to "figure out" how to make a 15% gain in operating efficiency.

But this same CPUC thinks 12 million homeowners living in regions served by the IOUs can magically figure out a solution that doesn't create "inequality" favoring rich people.

PG&E becoming more efficient benefits everyone equally. The "fair" way to go about this is staring the CPUC in the face bribing the hell out of the CPUC with indirect kickbacks through all the connections they share.

Reactions: brian.c

Regency Cascades i2500
I just think it's annoying that every policymaker and activist has an agenda to play. But ultimately all the ideas take a large amount of money. And all the ideas that look good on paper will usually benefit wealthier people since those are the folks who own property and could afford the investments. There is no magical way to have progress using without some lagging cohort of people who may not see the benefits up front.

But the recent expectation that it's ok to just jack up up energy rates and fees hoping The People "figure it out" is stupid.

The CPUC has so far avoided any requirement to ask PG&E to "figure out" how to make a 15% gain in operating efficiency.

But this same CPUC thinks 12 million homeowners living in regions served by the IOUs can magically figure out a solution that doesn't create "inequality" favoring rich people.

PG&E becoming more efficient benefits everyone equally. The "fair" way to go about this is staring the CPUC in the face bribing the hell out of the CPUC with indirect kickbacks through all the connections they share.
Just a real quick search on PG&E profits... "PG&E Corp’s total revenues of $5,465 million rose 11.9% from the year-ago quarter’s $4,882 million. Revenues exceeded the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $5,232 million by 4.4%. This year-over-year upside was primarily driven by an increase in both Electric and Natural Gas sales."

And another interesting article about the upcoming rate increases

• Informative
Reactions: holeydonut
I put on tons of north panels. No way would wife allow me to tilt. So, really good in summer, if I can send back and get decent credit

Yeah I'm still confused how you got the green light to put on all those panels. My North facing roof is shaded by a neighbor's redwood, so it's basically a non-starter for solar. I only wanted 2 extra panels and PG&E blocked that. Like wtf. Why should homeowners go out of their way to "help the grid" if the groups establishing the rules literally want homeowners to stop that behavior?

Yeah I'm still confused how you got the green light to put on all those panels. My North facing roof is shaded by a neighbor's redwood, so it's basically a non-starter for solar. I only wanted 2 extra panels and PG&E blocked that. Like wtf. Why should homeowners go out of their way to "help the grid" if the groups establishing the rules literally want homeowners to stop that behavior?
I would love to know the answer to this, since I think of you everytime when I think how did I get approved. BUT, if I get nailed at 8 bucks per, you might come out the best. And now NEM3 says you can go to 150%? Nuts

That is not in their interest to do so. A former colleague (from Mega Corp) went to a similar Treasury job at SoCal Edison. When I had lunch with him one day, I asked why they still processed so many checks for bill payments, and why not just outsource that function to a bank for e-processing and e-checks? His answer was instructive: 'too many jobs involved. They keep legislator interest by employing folks in many legislative districts. The last thing they want to do is reduce political power by eliminating jobs in those same districts, even if it saves money.'

Now, of course, times have changed somewhat and they are more electric bill pay friendly, but that just gives one some insight on how the utilities are viewed by many: a jobs program....

I don't have an EV currently, but I will in the 1-3 years and everyone will in 20-30 years. If we are going to fund (partially) road infrastructure through usage fees then EVs must be taxed as well. My preference would be on miles driven versus a flat vehicle fee. If the gas tax is $0.70/gallon and the average MPG is 20 then the EV tax would be $0.035/mile. IMHO, this isn't class warfare just applying the existing taxation model in a similar way.

Now, when we get to flying electric cars that aren't using the road infrastructure that would be very different situation.
It would be great if they factored in the weight of the vehicle and the size (area) of the tire. High psi loads inroads do proportionally more damage
In Southern California at least, no burn orders do not apply to communities above 3000 ft and homes that have no natural gas service or use wood as their sole source of heating are exempt.
The altitude exemption is not generally true in California. I'm in a county with some extremely rural areas that get no exception on the no burn orders based on altitude.

Woodsmoke is incredibly polluting, both indoors and outside even from a great fireplace like the Blaze princess (my first choice until my insurer vetoed it).
Wood Burning and the Environment By 2012, the few percent of Californians burning wood were polluting more than the pollution from all the vehicles combined. Today it is closer to three times, despite decreases in the number of homes with wood fired anything, and more vehicles on the road.

Did you know that wood (or charcoal) used for cooking is exempt from the California Air Resources Board restrictions? (Despite the pollution levels!)

All the best,

BG

Reactions: charlesj
It would be great if they factored in the weight of the vehicle and the size (area) of the tire. High psi loads inroads do proportionally more damage

The altitude exemption is not generally true in California. I'm in a county with some extremely rural areas that get no exception on the no burn orders based on altitude.

Woodsmoke is incredibly polluting, both indoors and outside even from a great fireplace like the Blaze princess (my first choice until my insurer vetoed it).
Wood Burning and the Environment By 2012, the few percent of Californians burning wood were polluting more than the pollution from all the vehicles combined. Today it is closer to three times, despite decreases in the number of homes with wood fired anything, and more vehicles on the road.

Did you know that wood (or charcoal) used for cooking is exempt from the California Air Resources Board restrictions? (Despite the pollution levels!)

All the best,

BG

Are they saying the PG&E wildfires are as polluting as every car, or just the people keeping warm are as polluting as every car? I contend PG&E has done more polluting in a month than a few million homes burning a few cords for heat.

So how am I supposed to heat this house if I’m capped on solar, NG is going to double in price before 2035, and the only people allowed to light trees on fire is PG&E when they spark another 15 forest fires?