Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked Main Screen = Bad Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious: what is ‘sub-flush damage?’

The service guy said they basically have a test they do to determine if the damage is covered under warranty that sounds like it consists of dragging something across the glass surface and if there is an impression (i.e sub-flush damage) then the crack was the result of impact and isn't covered under warranty.

Uh..yes, i barely made contact with the screen and it cracks. That is pretty much a failure under normal usage and is very likely due to manufacturing defects in the glass itself making it easy to crack from residual internal stresses.

Most screens can take direct impact from objects falling multiple feet and this screen cracked from a phone, in my hand, being placed into the charging cradle. I don't move my arm at 10 ft/s, so i'm pretty darn sure the impact wasn't very severe.

Sometimes it just matters where and how glass gets hit. I'm going to guess that the middle bottom of the screen like that is a weaker area than maybe the corners at the bottom.

Sometimes it just matters where and how glass gets hit. I'm going to guess that the middle bottom of the screen like that is a weaker area than maybe the corners at the bottom.

Yep, i think i'm going to have to pony up 1500 to get this fixed. I get it that it's my fault, but it just sucks because i wasn't doing anything crazy and barely hit the screen. Makes me scared to see how the next few years go...

IPhone very shattered. I found wife's phone laying on the garage floor. I picked it up and it was shattered. I called my phone and it worked. I went in the house and got her clear fingernail polish and put it on the face so she wouldn't cut her fingers. She had dropped it as she was getting in her Model X and ran over it backing out of the garage. She used it 2 weeks before I had the screen replaced. $84.00 iPhone 6.

Soo on my way home yesterday i was going to place my phone in the charging cradle and accidentally tapped the bottom edge of the car dash screen with the top of my phone. I didn't think much of it at the moment, but then 15 minutes later my touchscreen started to freak out and was totally unresponsive to my inputs.

Turns out my car screen is cracked and this has a major impact on it's usability. I essentially cannot use the screen anymore and that means i can't access the cars sub-menus, adjust lights/windshield wipers etc. Called Tesla and they said the earliest i could get an appointment was 3 weeks from now, which kinda sucks. Really hoping they don't make me pay for this as glass fractured MUCH to easily and i suspect it had high internal stress remaining from the manufacturing process.

Wanted to post this as a PSA to everyone else, be VERY careful with your screens and really think about getting one of those glass screen protectors!

Same issue as OP but on my 3 month old M3P. I tapped the bottom edge of the car's touch screen with my phone when I was placing the phone to charge and it cracked the car's screen. Even more unfortunate, the screen cracked such that I couldn't interact with the bottom left side of the screen, the part of the screen that controls the important car functions. After a few minutes the screen started going crazy with phantom touches everywhere. When it started the navigation to random nearby places, I could cancel the navigation because I could interact with the right side of the screen. But when it started the window wipers and set it to manual I couldn't do anything to stop them. I couldn't even turn off the car because that is in the driving menu also. I tried restarting the screen but the window wipers kept going.

Needless to say, the car was essentially inoperable and I went straight to the Tesla maintenance location nearby (about 20 minutes drive, and yes the window wipers were going full fury) and had them look at it. They said it would cost me around $1400 and that they would waive the $50 in service costs. I asked if they would go 50/50 in replacing it because I saw the issue as a manufacturer defect or at least a design flaw; I've never had a cracked screen on any piece of technology until now. They wouldn't budge on the price. I talked to the manger's manager and he said it was all my fault and that I should contact my insurance company. He told me that Tesla has been losing money and can't give out goodwill like they have in the past (ahem, Billionaire Elon Musk is not hurting).

Any strategies for getting Tesla to own-up their screen quality issues?

• Funny
Reactions: 204EV
This is more just poor design rather than manufacturing defect. They need to spec the screen to be more resilient to minor impacts.

Agreed, and it should be more easily repaired instead of replacing the whole thing. Maybe still swap the entire unit for the actual customers repair, but only charge them for a screen replacement and then do a screen replacement for the damaged unit off-car.

Agreed, and it should be more easily repaired instead of replacing the whole thing. Maybe still swap the entire unit for the actual customers repair, but only charge them for a screen replacement and then do a screen replacement for the damaged unit off-car.

Huh? o_O In the Model 3 the screen is just the screen. (Well I guess it includes the touchscreen digitizer as well.) The computer portion is behind the dash. So if you break your screen you would just replace the screen. (And almost anyone could do it, no software update required, it is only a few bolts.)

Reactions: smatthew
Huh? o_O In the Model 3 the screen is just the screen. (Well I guess it includes the touchscreen digitizer as well.) The computer portion is behind the dash. So if you break your screen you would just replace the screen. (And almost anyone could do it, no software update required, it is only a few bolts.)

Then why is it $1400 to replace :D They should be able to fix a hairline crack in the glass for approximately the same price as an iPhone/iPad.

Oh i see i used poor wording in my previous comment - i suppose when i said "screen" i mean the glass portion.

Mental note: invent leather case for Model 3 screen. :D

MX0E2

This is more just poor design rather than manufacturing defect. They need to spec the screen to be more resilient to minor impacts.

the glass was hardness tested by a YouTuber once, don’t have the link.
It’s plenty hard enough. Also, cracked screens in the model three are rare, so I don’t think this is a poor design or defect.
I’ve cracked my iPhone glass way more often, and I don’t think it’s poorly designed either.
Accidents happen. If your think your screen is prone to accidents, protect it.
That’s what I do for my iPhone. ..

I'd install a case for the screen if someone makes them. I know they make screen protectors for the glass but I'd also like a thin edge around the screen because it seems like a lot of these cracks are just hitting the bezel where it meets the glass.