Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crazy to buy 85 with no options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The tech package allows you to set the initial opening height of the hatch so that it doesn't hit any overhead obstructions such as the garage door. Just one ouchie will cost more than the tech package to repair.

Was thinking the same exact thing. If I have a $2,000 deductible vs $500, the insurance premium is $600 cheaper. With the tech package and parking sensors, the chance of a small fender bender type repair that is our fault is extremely limited. Over 5 years that's $3k. So does the tech package with parking sensors offer more enough assurance to avoid insurance ?!

See what's happening, I'm trying to rationalize all the options we want!

Was thinking the same exact thing. If I have a $2,000 deductible vs $500, the insurance premium is $600 cheaper. With the tech package and parking sensors, the chance of a small fender bender type repair that is our fault is extremely limited. Over 5 years that's $3k. So does the tech package with parking sensors offer more enough assurance to avoid insurance ?!

Insurance is still needed of course.

It's tough to start this process and not get all the toys. Whatever you get try not to second guess yourself. No sense on spending this much on a car and wishing as soon as you get it 'wish I had that feature'.

I'm big on rationalization myself :)

Having not had the parking sensors for almost a year (17,000 miles). I don't believe they add a lot--particularly if you park by backing in, which is much the safer way to park. On the other hand they don't cost much and probably make the car easier to sell should the need arise. I did drive a loaner with parking sensors and they beeped quite a lot--every time I went to an ATM or through a card gate.

Having hit many hatches and trunk lids on my garage door, the opening height stopping point is worth just about any amount.

The turn-by-turn on the dash is very helpful because the little popups tell you what lanes to use. It's also safer since you don't have to do more than glance down. Just turn off the audio and it's almost perfect.

Why would you care if you have 0.5 inches of head room or 1 inch of head room? If your head doesn't touch the ceiling you have enough room.
The car doesn't need to feel bigger, the thing is huge. It's massiveness is its only drawback. Never have I wanted it to feel bigger.
I don't have the pano roof, but I know what it is like as I have driven service loaners that do have it, never missed it.

Also, how often are you going to ride in the back seat?
I had a 3rd rear facing seat in a previous car when my kids were young. We used it -- once. One nice thing about having limited seating is that you don't get stuck schlepping your neighbors' kids around as much.

I am one of the handful without tech package, although mine came with standard features that are now extra cost (option packages seem to change monthly, mostly by increasing price and decreasing content). The standard map function works great and I use it every day to monitor traffic. But it doesn't give turn-by-turn instructions. My phone does that via the car's bluetooth.

I'm leaning towards:

$81,070 base 85
$750 grey metallic
$2,500 pano

=$84,320 ($2,320 over budget)

or

$81,070 base 85
$3,750 tech
$500 parking sensors

=$85,320 ($3,320 over budget) plus a lot more time/money detailing

I'm curious why you don't count the $7500 federal rebate when figuring the cost? That puts you well under budget, or just over if you add in sales tax.

Insurance is still needed of course.

It's tough to start this process and not get all the toys. Whatever you get try not to second guess yourself. No sense on spending this much on a car and wishing as soon as you get it 'wish I had that feature'.

Would never go without insurance, just considering raising the deductible, still full liability coverage and replacement value as initial purchase price.

OP, it is an expensive car. When you are spending so much, and if you wanted some additional feature, I don't think you should hold back and regret at a later time. If you can afford x and can't afford x+5, I doubt if one can afford even x. If it is because you have come with a number beyond which you don't want to stretch, I will say many have done that. I had once asked a question on stretching and many owners have done at least mentally. Just get over it and order what you like. Saving few grands does not matter in great scheme.

OP, it is an expensive car. When you are spending so much, and if you wanted some additional feature, I don't think you should hold back and regret at a later time. If you can afford x and can't afford x+5, I doubt if one can afford even x. If it is because you have come with a number beyond which you don't want to stretch, I will say many have done that. I had once asked a question on stretching and many owners have done at least mentally. Just get over it and order what you like. Saving few grands does not matter in great scheme.

Based on your signature your car seems perfect for me!

It's not about what we can afford now, it's about what we want to be able to afford later. My wife and I are younger and we have always analyzed our finances and come up with a budget for all major purchases/decisions. If it weren't for those budgets in the past we wouldn't be buying a Tesla now. "Afford" is such a subjective term. We don't need a Tesla, we want a Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll have spent it a couple of times before it arrives anyway :)

LOL, that's the real reason I didn't include it in the budget.

- - - Updated - - -

This thread has given us a lot of great feedback. My wife has been following as well and it's given us a lot of great dialogue.

After 24 hours (really this obsession about the S is about 5 years old now), this is where we stand:

- We will get the S85 (need range, want warranty, don't need extra performance)
- We will not get rear facing seats (family of 4, safety/heat)
- We want Pano (a cheaper glass roof would have been a great option)
- We are thinking tech is a good idea (mostly peer pressure)
- We want parking sensors if we get tech (one bad ding is $500 to repair)
- We love the black paint but worried about scratches and swirls so we will go metallic paint, probably grey
- We were comfortable on the leather seats of the demo, but have only read good things about textile, haven't seen textile in person but the good reviews will leave $1500 in our pocket.
- Anything I haven't mentioned, we have no desire for.
- I thought making a decision to buy the car would be the hard part, apparently the options are the hard part.

On parking sensors, it wouldn't be useful for our experience.

Model S is the most we've spent on a car by far. Wife and I now park the car far away from everyone else to minimize chance for dings :) We live in the suburb though. Can't do that in the city.

This car is also relatively large and wide. I find myself not even attempting any tight parking spaces. Even if I could get in, I seek bigger parking spaces to minimize the possibility of dings. Again, probably not a solution in a bigger city. In our daily drive, the biggest risk for scraps actually comes from the width of our garage door entry. Tesla's side mirrors clear both sides with 2-3 inches to spare. Similar to Honda Odyssey minivan we had awhile back. Our garage has a single wide door for each parking space which yields less room than the double wide garage doors.

Just food for thought and consider if your parking habits might change. My wife's habit changed 180 degrees, she used to seek to park as close as possible, now almost as far away as possible :)

Last edited:
Congrats! If you don't mind white cars the standard white looks nice. I like the grey so sounds like you have it all lined up. Definitely get what you want. If that means holding off the purchase until you save up the added amount I'd do that. You'll have this car a long time hopefully.

My two cents. Get the bigger battery. We really don't know how well the battery will hold up with time and resale value will be very connected to the battery. For me, the novelty for moon-roofs fades rather quickly. I would pinch that option.

I'm 6 ft, long torso. I can not sit at all comfortably in the back seat without pano. 2 inches is 2 miles.

With pano I'm still head-against-the-roof ducking, but acceptable for shorter trips.

Because of this I suspect cars with pano will probably sell better used and thus depreciate slower. If I'm correct, pano becomes a low to no cost option in total cost analysis.

Go for option 2.

(you can see my options below)

The parking sensors are absolutely invaluable, they're the one option I couldn't drive it without.

Tech Package... sure, it's nice. But you don't need it like you need the parking sensors. If you want it... get it, I support you :)

If you're really worried about your budget, which I respect, get black or white - the car will still look incredible no matter what.

The panoramic roof looks totally cool from the outside, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned. From what I've read, it's noisier, it rattles sometimes, and it still allows UV light in (not all of it, but it doesn't block it out). I've never had any guests complain about lack of headroom in the front without it. (lots of cars have insufficient headroom in the back) The solid roof is nothing but quiet, cheap and solid. I suppose since I'm in Texas and you're in Massachusetts, you need to make the decision about available light.

.../ The panoramic roof looks totally cool from the outside, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned. From what I've read, it's noisier, it rattles sometimes /...
I may be wrong, but as I understand it, the creaks and rattles from the pano in some of the cars, mainly earlier builds, ultimately all got/get completely fixed by Tesla. There is a thread about it here somewhere.

OP: I have them both on my car and feel the pano roof is a much more valuable option than the tech package. Were I on a strict budget I would forgo the tech package but scrimp like crazy to include the pano. You really want to personally sit in cars, both front and rear seats, with and without pano before you make this decision. It is a night and day difference in my mind.

There is nothing the tech package does that you need. But you may actually feel you need the extra rear seat headroom of the pano roof depending on your usage. This is an individual decision. You cannot listen to others to make it. One size does not fit all. The headroom in the rear seat of Model S is quite tight even with the pano roof, and tighter without it. If you sit in one without the pano and are OK with it then by all means don't consider it. But if you are like me, once having sat in cars with and without the pano, I put the pano roof as the number one option on my list.