Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb Rash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So are folks just catching that edge/lip that the covers set into?

Would that show that bad?

Curious to see a few photos of what happens.

To bad those side cameras can’t be used while parking. That would be so cool.

Attachments

• IMG_20180628_154046705.jpg
    IMG_20180628_154046705.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 191
Reactions: marstein
I agree with the question above preventing this from happening. Sure, perfect driving.... But for the rest of us? Which products are the best (easy install, durable, affordable)?
We'll, it did not take long.... Wife curbed the rear passenger rim today. I can't even take a picture of it I'm so distraught. I will likely sand and paint and then put on some f*ing edge protection before it happens again

• Funny
Reactions: RunMadM3 and hurjio
I think that curb rash is much harder in a Model 3 with standard wheels than any of my previous cars. The sensors, tire profile, and back up camera make this much less likely if you pay attention.

Apparently not if you’re my stupid ass. After driving my Leaf and Volt for three years each with only one curb rash incident between the two, I have somehow scraped my wheels TWICE in less than a month with my 3. Lmao. Both just me being an idiot, once on the front passenger wheel when I was trying to park into a street parking spot that I figured was just wide enough to pull straight into instead of parallel parking it and rushed it because I was in a hurry, and again pulling out of a parking lot where I somehow misjudged where I was and scraped my back passenger side wheel as I was completing my turn. Impressive, if I do say so myself. :oops:

Apparently not if you’re my stupid ass. After driving my Leaf and Volt for three years each with only one curb rash incident between the two, I have somehow scraped my wheels TWICE in less than a month with my 3. Lmao. Both just me being an idiot, once on the front passenger wheel when I was trying to park into a street parking spot that I figured was just wide enough to pull straight into instead of parallel parking it and rushed it because I was in a hurry, and again pulling out of a parking lot where I somehow misjudged where I was and scraped my back passenger side wheel as I was completing my turn. Impressive, if I do say so myself. :oops:
The paint from amazon does a pretty good job of hiding the curb rash. No one will be able to notice unless they are super up close.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyErik and mhan00
We'll, it did not take long.... Wife curbed the rear passenger rim today. I can't even take a picture of it I'm so distraught. I will likely sand and paint and then put on some f*ing edge protection before it happens again

I've owned plenty of cars with low profile, alloy wheels and never got curb rash on a single wheel. There is something unique about the Tesla M3 - of course the rim sticks out well past the tire, but maybe we rely too much on the cameras, mirrors etc. So far in the first 8 months, I've had 2-3 pretty good curb rash incidents. Interesting - each time the same wheel (rear pass) and purely coincidental - same exact location the second time. Fortunately, I happened to find a local mobile service that has been repairing the damage between $75 - $125. Here's the most recent before and after:

New rule for the M3 - never park near a curb if you can avoid it!

Maybe Tesla should just add some down looking sensors on the sides then you'll get a distance to curb warning when parking. The current sensors don't work with object less than about 12" high. They might also be useful for telling the car what kind of surface it's rolling on.

Or just buy some curb feelers
High tech going Retro:

Reactions: FlyErik and Hans L
My gf curbed the left rear like 8 inches long driving through a Starbucks after a week of owning the car. I was going to upgrade the 18s to an after market 19s. This incident definitely put a stop on the upgrade real quick.