Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We ordered our MYLR on August 12th. EDD initially was Christmas. Then Thanksgiving. Then this week. So, two days ago I called Tesla customer service. I asked them if the car was really coming as soon as I saw on my account and they replied that it is still scheduled to be built in December.

So, today, 15 days after ordering, the car is ready to be picked up in Las Vegas. I have no idea why. It is a white long range AWD with no extra options. If we got bumped up because someone declined their order, I can't believe there were not many others ahead of us in line. It is a vanilla Tesla.

We are puzzled.

We ordered our MYLR on August 12th. EDD initially was Christmas. Then Thanksgiving. Then this week. So, two days ago I called Tesla customer service. I asked them if the car was really coming as soon as I saw on my account and they replied that it is still scheduled to be built in December.

So, today, 15 days after ordering, the car is ready to be picked up in Las Vegas. I have no idea why. It is a white long range AWD with no extra options. If we got bumped up because someone declined their order, I can't believe there were not many others ahead of us in line. It is a vanilla Tesla.

We are puzzled.
Sounds like they had one on the way out here that got assigned to you. Congrats!

We are puzzled.
Congratulations. Sounds like you were in the right place at the right time.

We are puzzled.
The Tesla gods were on your side. Congrats and enjoy!

We are puzzled.
Hmm, interesting. There’s definitely a ton of unfilled outstanding orders; many people ahead of you in queue. Some have been waiting since May. What seems to be happening is that once an order is cancelled, that VIN is manually reassigned to another customer in that region, not always the next person in queue. When a VIN is released from an order I think it even goes to the open market (Tesla inventory) and those who are quick occasionally snag them, or an SA might snag it for another order holder. You lucked out! You get it two months faster than your peers. Ask your SA if they have any more info on why this VIN was cancelled by the other order.

Reactions: Hobbsave and ajs847
all that aside, most of this is me trying to distract myself from whats going on in Kabul. If you get a spare moment, please consider thinking about the families of the Marines and sailors with the 24 MEU and 2/1 as well as the Afghans trying to seek a future of their choosing.

sorry for being a debbie downer, i just couldnt not ask for thoughts and prayers for those willing to give them.
I appreciate you making this comment. I’m an immigrant to this country (came to US in 4th grade). 9-11 occurred when I was in 5th grade, and since graduating high school I’ve been in the military. As a career Air Force officer (am I even qualified to say that? Jeez I sound old…), Afghanistan has been a constant overarching part of the mission. What’s happening has been very difficult to watch and hear. Something we’ve worked for, contributed to, sacrificed for, our entire careers ending in tragic fashion. Many of my friends sacrificed much more than me, physically, mentally, emotionally. I know there are many other servicemembers and veterans in this thread as well, and can relate. Some left home and gave their lives in Afghanistan. Now the Taliban is back in full force, turning into kinder gentler Taliban (allegedly), Afghans in mass exodus/humanitarian crisis, and ISIS is back.

It’s tough even to talk about at work amongst fellow officers, because unfortunately the issue has become very political and the military by law and by design is an apolitical arm of the govt. So we must abide by that. So it’s been challenging to digest these emotions, knowing that our brothers and sisters deployed are doing their best carry out their orders in a insanely challenging environment. And we continue to carry out our duties stateside and try not to feel like it’s pointless. These are my personal views and experiences of a private citizen, not representative of the Air Force. I hope to share this without being offensive or disrespectful, and ask that you keep all those affected in recent events in your thoughts. Love you guys, have a good night, and enjoy your weekend and enjoy all that we have to be thankful for.

Well it looks like I may have gotten lucky. A MYP popped up tonight in current inventory located about 4 ½ hour drive from me in Phoenix and I grabbed it. Everything I had on order except interior is white vs black that we ordered. I like the white better but the car is for my wife and she was worried that white would get dirty. Well now we will see I guess. Of course I’m always a little worried as to why it was in current inventory but I'll have to look into that. Not going to cancel my current MYP order yet though. Hopefully all is well but I won’t feel comfortable until I have thouroghly checked it out and asked the right questions. So after over 7 months of waiting for various Teslas and no car since March, I can finally say…….I have a VIN! VIN# 257.
Wall Charger goes in Monday……schwing!

How long did you wait before you got an assigned VIN? My EDD shows 9/10-9/26 with no VIN ye
Just don't do the Dark Tower series, I finished that about a couple years ago, and was so upset at the end

We are puzzled.
Holy. Rap congrats!

We are puzzled.
Holy crap congrats! Ordered 5/13 and still waiting. Enjoy it and I don’t think ‘any’ Tesla is vanilla.

I called the Tesla main number today just to figure out what was going on with the sudden swing from September to November EDD.

Ended up speaking to a kind enough young lady who explained the whole situation in what seemed to me the most honest way ive heard.

the factory makes estimate forecasts on the number of each T/M/S (Type/Model/Series for the non-military types, variations of a type of vehicle) that the factory can produce in a given time period based on material available, labor, etc. the factory says, for example “I can produce X# MYLR MSM, 20in, 7 seat with tow between 1 Sept - 15 Sept”. This estimate based on factory estimated output is updated daily.

The system uses the forecast of T/M/S vehicles produced combined with the individuals place in the queue with that T/M/S to determine the rough EDD.

As time progresses the factory forecasts update and estimates of T/M/S expected to be produced in a given time period based on available materials inform a rough EDD to the customer.

As time progresses, with # T/M/S produced, the system organizes them into batches that can be binned into shipments to a geographic location. All of this occuring before the vehicle is constructed and a VIN is assigned.

Once the vehicle is constructed, a VIN is assigned, its already aligned to a DC with transpo already ordered and staged.

This is just a hypothesis based on the conversation I had with the Tesla lady today, but i would be interested in thoughts. At the end of the day, she said I will not be getting a car this quarter based on what the factory thinks it can produce before EoQ. According to her, I will be lucky to get a car in November.

all that aside, most of this is me trying to distract myself from whats going on in Kabul. If you get a spare moment, please consider thinking about the families of the Marines and sailors with the 24 MEU and 2/1 as well as the Afghans trying to seek a future of their choosing.

sorry for being a debbie downer, i just couldnt not ask for thoughts and prayers for those willing to give them.
Thanks for this. We were lucky enough to pick up a good friend at the airport this week who was just returning home from a year deployment with the Army. So thankful to have him home safe and sending prayers for those still active duty and the families of those who didn’t make it home 💕 we’re so incredibly fortunate that our biggest worry is when a stupid car will arrive. Puts a lot into perspective

I appreciate you making this comment. I’m an immigrant to this country (came to US in 4th grade). 9-11 occurred when I was in 5th grade, and since graduating high school I’ve been in the military. As a career Air Force officer (am I even qualified to say that? Jeez I sound old…), Afghanistan has been a constant overarching part of the mission. What’s happening has been very difficult to watch and hear. Something we’ve worked for, contributed to, sacrificed for, our entire careers ending in tragic fashion. Many of my friends sacrificed much more than me, physically, mentally, emotionally. I know there are many other servicemembers and veterans in this thread as well, and can relate. Some left home and gave their lives in Afghanistan. Now the Taliban is back in full force, turning into kinder gentler Taliban (allegedly), Afghans in mass exodus/humanitarian crisis, and ISIS is back.

It’s tough even to talk about at work amongst fellow officers, because unfortunately the issue has become very political and the military by law and by design is an apolitical arm of the govt. So we must abide by that. So it’s been challenging to digest these emotions, knowing that our brothers and sisters deployed are doing their best carry out their orders in a insanely challenging environment. And we continue to carry out our duties stateside and try not to feel like it’s pointless. These are my personal views and experiences of a private citizen, not representative of the Air Force. I hope to share this without being offensive or disrespectful, and ask that you keep all those affected in recent events in your thoughts. Love you guys, have a good night, and enjoy your weekend and enjoy all that we have to be thankful for.
Words are never enough, but genuinely, thank you for your service, commitment, and sacrifice to our country 🇺🇸 And the same to any other Veterans, servicemembers, and military families on here also.

Hmm, interesting. There’s definitely a ton of unfilled outstanding orders; many people ahead of you in queue. Some have been waiting since May. What seems to be happening is that once an order is cancelled, that VIN is manually reassigned to another customer in that region, not always the next person in queue. When a VIN is released from an order I think it even goes to the open market (Tesla inventory) and those who are quick occasionally snag them, or an SA might snag it for another order holder. You lucked out! You get it two months faster than your peers. Ask your SA if they have any more info on why this VIN was cancelled by the other order.
My SO picked up her M3LR today after our SA quickly grabbed a VIN available. They called her, emailed, and texted her and when she answered, they said that someone couldn't take delivery (so not a VIN reject), it was in Palm Springs (we're in OC), and asked if she wanted it. It was an exact match so she said yes. Four days later, we took delivery.

When ordering, the estimated date was November.

So it seems to me like it's the Wild West in terms of VINs. Maybe it depends on how on top of it your SA is in grabbing a VIN. I joked about my order and he said he hasn't seen any pop up yet, so it seems like the SAs are trying to snag them too or something.

But like all things Tesla, there's no rhyme or reason to anything, so who knows.

We are puzzled.
That's so fast, good for you! I ordered the same care (assuming black interior) on June 16th. EDD 9/4-9/23. Clearly my order would have been in line ahead of yours temporally, but I'm on the east coast, so location must be a factor.

Well it looks like I may have gotten lucky. A MYP popped up tonight in current inventory located about 4 ½ hour drive from me in Phoenix and I grabbed it. Everything I had on order except interior is white vs black that we ordered. I like the white better but the car is for my wife and she was worried that white would get dirty. Well now we will see I guess. Of course I’m always a little worried as to why it was in current inventory but I'll have to look into that. Not going to cancel my current MYP order yet though. Hopefully all is well but I won’t feel comfortable until I have thouroghly checked it out and asked the right questions. So after over 7 months of waiting for various Teslas and no car since March, I can finally say…….I have a VIN! VIN# 257.
Wall Charger goes in Monday……schwing!
Very similar story to mine. Congrats on finding one so close. Mine had to train from CA. It will take it 3.5 weeks to transport all said and done.

Reactions: Wooly1