Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why the front casting in Austin would be better than the actual built in Fremont?
Tesla is currently working on single-piece front and rear casting. Within the coming months (Tesla time, of course) Model Y should be switching to the new manufacturing process. Theoretically it should be stronger, stiffer, and lighter, improving driving dynamics and efficiency. Yet for Tesla it should also be faster + cheaper to produce. I am very interested because this should result in some real-world impacts, but I'm not holding my breath.

Don’t expect new 4689 batteries when Austin starts up. It will be a few months, at least. Also, since they need to slowly ramp up production in Austin, I still foresee East Coast getting MY from Fremont. Not as many, but some.
I was referencing 2021 deliveries I was not clear in my statement, my apologies. I still suspect Austin to start pushing out cars quickly sometime in the first quarter of 2022. It seems like it is a few weeks behind Berlin, so we will know based on what happens at that site.

I have enhanced auto pilot on my M3 and love it. Not sure I’ll get FSD. I bought the car to drive it. EAP is good for long distance.
The problem these days is the lack of radar on the new "vision-only" cars. Everyone who has radar equipped car and isn't opted in into FSD is still on an AP / FSD stack that utilizes radar data. Despite everything Tesla has said about radar being the source of phantom brakes, the unfortunate evidence so far appears to indicate that phantom braking is far worse and more widespread on vision-only AP/FSD stacks. Which is why there is also a disconnect between some folks' AP experiences here on these forums and other complaints from newer owners who are suffering through a far more degraded experience with their vision-only cars.

I'm honestly pretty bummed about this since there hasn't been any major improvements on this front over the past several months which appears to indicate that Tesla basically took a big step backwards with their vision-only approach, which from the look of this article from NYT (Inside Tesla as Elon Musk Pushed an Unflinching Vision for Self-Driving Cars) seems to indicate that vision-only was dictated from Musk rather than a unanimous decision by those in charge of AP/FSD :confused:

The problem these days is the lack of radar on the new "vision-only" cars. Everyone who has radar equipped car and isn't opted in into FSD is still on an AP / FSD stack that utilizes radar data. Despite everything Tesla has said about radar being the source of phantom brakes, the unfortunate evidence so far appears to indicate that phantom braking is far worse and more widespread on vision-only AP/FSD stacks. Which is why there is also a disconnect between some folks' AP experiences here on these forums and other complaints from newer owners who are suffering through a far more degraded experience with their vision-only cars.

I'm honestly pretty bummed about this since there hasn't been any major improvements on this front over the past several months which appears to indicate that Tesla basically took a big step backwards with their vision-only approach, which from the look of this article from NYT (Inside Tesla as Elon Musk Pushed an Unflinching Vision for Self-Driving Cars) seems to indicate that vision-only was dictated from Musk rather than a unanimous decision by those in charge of AP/FSD :confused:
I hear you. Losing a secondary sensing system (radar, lidar) eliminates any chance of target validation. Add to that, cameras have many shortcomings related to visibility - glare, dirt on lens, fog/mist/rain, less resolution at range, shadows, etc. Software, neural networks, and AI can't magically fix this one.

I would guess there's a good chance Musk will regret this decision. If so, are AP/FSD Tesla-vision only cars sold with a bill of goods destined for lower trade-in value?

I hear you. Losing a secondary sensing system (radar, lidar) eliminates any chance of target validation. Add to that, cameras have many shortcomings related to visibility - glare, dirt on lens, fog/mist/rain, less resolution at range, shadows, etc. Software, neural networks, and AI can't magically fix this one.

I would guess there's a good chance Musk will regret this decision. If so, are AP/FSD Tesla-vision only cars sold with a bill of goods destined for lower trade-in value?
Yeah, no idea. It doesn't look like they are backing down from it as the entire FSD Beta stack is vision-only so they are either going to spend a few years trying to get back to being comparable to without radar or at some point admit defeat and quietly introduce radar and/or some other sensor modality. It is kind of telling that they decided to keep radar sensors on their premium S and X lines despite all their proclamations of vision-only being the future. Somehow Tesla has gotten away with selling FSD for $10K and not delivering anything remotely like all the promises so far, so this is small potatoes in comparison 🤷‍♂️

The vision system does not only use visable light so glare isn't the problem you may think it is.

People who paid for FSD will continually get free updated computers, cameras and whatever it takes to to make FSD happen. If at some time in the future FSD is ever abandoned then every one of those customers will get a refund.

The risk to buyers of FSD isn't really if it will happen but when it will happen. There is no timeframe they need to finish it, so you may be in your next tesla (or next 3) before FSD is realized. Tesla may even be last, Heck Mercedes is the first company to officially release a level 3 system .

Yeah, no idea. It doesn't look like they are backing down from it as the entire FSD Beta stack is vision-only so they are either going to spend a few years trying to get back to being comparable to without radar or at some point admit defeat and quietly introduce radar and/or some other sensor modality. It is kind of telling that they decided to keep radar sensors on their premium S and X lines despite all their proclamations of vision-only being the future. Somehow Tesla has gotten away with selling FSD for $10K and not delivering anything remotely like all the promises so far, so this is small potatoes in comparison 🤷‍♂️
As well with vehicles built in China and destined for other markets. Tesla has a tidy little test bed of model 3/y customers here.

The vision system does not only use visable light so glare isn't the problem you may think it is.

People who paid for FSD will continually get free updated computers, cameras and whatever it takes to to make FSD happen. If at some time in the future FSD is ever abandoned then every one of those customers will get a refund.

The risk to buyers of FSD isn't really if it will happen but when it will happen. There is no timeframe they need to finish it, so you may be in your next tesla (or next 3) before FSD is realized. Tesla may even be last, Heck Mercedes is the first company to officially release a level 3 system .

Interesting about the light spectrum but still suspect visibility challenges remain problematic for camera-only designs and no amount of software, NN, AI will change that. Tesla's FAQ regarding forward collision and automatic braking with Tesla Vision equipped M3's and MY's says - "NHTSA has not yet rated them for vehicles equipped with Tesla Vision. We expect those ratings will be restored through confirmatory testing in the coming weeks." It's now months later with no follow up.

Time aside, that's good the FSD folks have hardware protection. Not sure why AP wouldn't be included.

Today was the start of my EDD window, and I woke up to getting pushed out to Jan 1-Jan 29. I’m actually very surprised because when I initially ordered it was Nov 13 EDD, then pushed to Dec 13, now January. I’m on west coast which usually helps with EoQ., with a August 13 OD. Something definitely is going on at Tesla- never seen this amount of delays, and such little VIN assignments/deliveries. Hoping they can figure it out, because getting a car two months after they told me I’d have it, isn’t the best for customers- and I actually really will need this car come Jan 2. Crossing fingers comes earlier.

I have accepted delivery of my Model Y today!!! The delivery process was easy. I have a local Service Center / Show Room a few miles from my house. This is the Paramus, NJ location that sustained damage in September due to flash flooding in the area. The Service Center still isn't operational, but they do deliver cars from the location from a temporary tent and trailer.

There was one snafu at delivery. Though I selected to Lease the car at time or order, somehow that got overridden in their system and they had me down for 3rd Party Financing. They were expecting a large check!! Anyway, they were able to sort things out in about 15 minutes and I had to make another deposit and sign off on lease terms all from within the app. Once that was complete, I was free to go - with my new Model Y.

Given that I live in NJ, we need a front license plate holder. I have the kit to install it, and I may do so myself. The SC rep noted I can take it to a functioning service center to have it done but I'm not going to go out of my way. I'll do it myself.

The car was perfect with no noticeable defects. The short ride home was fine.

Santa came early...

tempImagepQCGLR.jpg

I have accepted delivery of my Model Y today!!! The delivery process was easy. I have a local Service Center / Show Room a few miles from my house. This is the Paramus, NJ location that sustained damage in September due to flash flooding in the area. The Service Center still isn't operational, but they do deliver cars from the location from a temporary tent and trailer.

There was one snafu at delivery. Though I selected to Lease the car at time or order, somehow that got overridden in their system and they had me down for 3rd Party Financing. They were expecting a large check!! Anyway, they were able to sort things out in about 15 minutes and I had to make another deposit and sign off on lease terms all from within the app. Once that was complete, I was free to go - with my new Model Y.

Given that I live in NJ, we need a front license plate holder. I have the kit to install it, and I may do so myself. The SC rep noted I can take it to a functioning service center to have it done but I'm not going to go out of my way. I'll do it myself.

The car was perfect with no noticeable defects. The short ride home was fine.

Santa came early...

View attachment 743851
Before installing you should take a look at Quick Bandit, or other "no drill", no double-sided tape mounting brackets....it is a much cleaner look to the front license plate and doesn't mess with the paint. Since you are leasing you may not care as much, but there are several other options out there.

Before installing you should take a look at Quick Bandit, or other "no drill", no double-sided tape mounting brackets....it is a much cleaner look to the front license plate and doesn't mess with the paint. Since you are leasing you may not care as much, but there are several other options out there.
Great advice, thank you!! I will definitely look at Quick Bandit.

Reactions: samori01
Don’t expect new 4689 batteries when Austin starts up. It will be a few months, at least. Also, since they need to slowly ramp up production in Austin, I still foresee East Coast getting MY from Fremont. Not as many, but some.
I know as a fact that there will be zero cars delivered in 2022 with those cells in the packs. Sorry.