Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yeah there’s this as of a couple hours ago

Attachments

• BF6F1576-E6C0-425C-80BE-E82AFD915C80.png
    BF6F1576-E6C0-425C-80BE-E82AFD915C80.png
    247.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Informative
Reactions: samori01
The vision system does not only use visable light so glare isn't the problem you may think it is.

People who paid for FSD will continually get free updated computers, cameras and whatever it takes to to make FSD happen. If at some time in the future FSD is ever abandoned then every one of those customers will get a refund.

The risk to buyers of FSD isn't really if it will happen but when it will happen. There is no timeframe they need to finish it, so you may be in your next tesla (or next 3) before FSD is realized. Tesla may even be last, Heck Mercedes is the first company to officially release a level 3 system .
Forbes had an article today on Tesla’s FSD. The article quoted take up of FSD was 37% in 2019, 22% in 2020 and Is likely to be 12% in 2021. No doubt the doubling in price from $5K to $10k may have contributed to this, but also because FSD is still far from ready for prime time.
I had FSD when I booked. I removed it to reduce my annual registration fees and taxes. Does anyone know if when buying FSD software over the air is it taxed? Are there states where it is not taxed? Technically if your car is there when you buy it, it should not be taxed?

Forbes had an article today on Tesla’s FSD. The article quoted take up of FSD was 37% in 2019, 22% in 2020 and Is likely to be 12% in 2021. No doubt the doubling in price from $5K to $10k may have contributed to this, but also because FSD is still far from ready for prime time.
I had FSD when I booked. I removed it to reduce my annual registration fees and taxes. Does anyone know if when buying FSD software over the air is it taxed? Are there states where it is not taxed? Technically if your car is there when you buy it, it should not be taxed?
Beware of articles which push Percentages , this usually happens when the real numbers don't fit the naritive. Remember that Tesla sales in China and Europe don't have FSD yet so all of these sales count against FSD (in percentages). In either case they should have released the actual number of FSD purchased wich likely would have been increasing YOY.

FSD is software and technically you would pay tax at the location where it is registered not where it happens to be at the time. Think of how your phone works , your taxes on the phone plan doesn't change depending upon where you make your calls from. That software adds value to the car and some states (like Georgia) tax you on your cars value each year.

I'd like to see a FSD sale but don't think it would ever happen. Tesla knows that they are likely going to need to upgrade hardware several times before FSD comes out of beta and that cost is built into the price.

I suspect that its just a matter of time when monthly FSD subs are not available to older teslas. I can't see Tesla installing new camera's or new computers for $200. My guess is that they would likely need to purchase FSD or purchase the upgraded parts if the current config does not support FSD.

Reactions: PatrickTM
Beware of articles which push Percentages , this usually happens when the real numbers don't fit the naritive. Remember that Tesla sales in China and Europe don't have FSD yet so all of these sales count against FSD (in percentages). In either case they should have released the actual number of FSD purchased wich likely would have been increasing YOY.

FSD is software and technically you would pay tax at the location where it is registered not where it happens to be at the time. Think of how your phone works , your taxes on the phone plan doesn't change depending upon where you make your calls from. That software adds value to the car and some states (like Georgia) tax you on your cars value each year.
We don’t get taxed on the value each year. It used to be like that but many years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: samori01
Hi just got an call from Irvine delivery, they moved my date up, VIN is 7SAYGDEE9NF340XXX. Does that look current?

Home delivery is scheduled for 12/15

I asked if USB and Wireless were there, they said yes. Any other tips of what I should look out for? Thanks
Nice, congrats! I'd say your 340,xxx VIN is current, as I got assigned 7SAYGDEE3NF310973 on November 18.

We pay full tax at the time of purchase that is it. Plus bs tag fee for EV every year. 200+ bucks
@CRIMSON_DATE Yup, I used to live in Georgia and back then there was the annual Ad Valorem Tax, based on vehicle value. They've since updated the laws the have one-time tax instead at time of purchase.

My new home (Massachusetts) has their version of annual vehicle value tax, called Motor Vehicle Excise, which is $25 per $1,000 of vehicle value. So Model Y (or any car worth about $60k) would be roughly $1,500 that first year. Definitely something to budget for.

No, VINs aren't sequential.
I believe they are sequential. Or more accurately, they are assigned in sequential order and may be completed slightly out of order but very likely 310xxx was completed and delivered much before vin 340xxx. To answer @ap105 's question, there are about 30k Model Y's between the two VINs. Last part of the VIN number basically shows the total number of Model Y's VINs assigned, without regard to model year. (Is it total from Fremont or total worldwide?)

I believe they are sequential. Or more accurately, they are assigned in sequential order and may be completed slightly out of order but very likely 310xxx was completed and delivered much before vin 340xxx. To answer @ap105 's question, there are about 30k Model Y's between the two VINs. Last part of the VIN number basically shows the total number of Model Y's VINs assigned, without regard to model year. (Is it total from Fremont or total worldwide?)
They may be assigned in sequential order, but if you look back you will find there can be vast differences on days when many received VINs, which goes against sequential delivery of VINs. There have even been rumors that the VINs were deliberately not sequential to obscure actual production.

Are vins sequential? So since Nov 18 vin of 310xxx vs vin 340xxx - does that mean between that time period they made 30k cars? are they all Model y's?
From what I've seen, both @leaftoy and @samori01 are correct regarding sequential VINs. They generally, roughly, come out sequentially. But not perfectly sequential. 320,xxx might be delivered in the same week as 310,xxx. But on a larger scale, a 400,xxx car will be delivered later than a 300,xxx car.

And @leaftoy, regarding the numbering and place of manufacture, all VINs with "F" are out of Fremont, and the number count is for Fremont only Model Y production and not worldwide. So the VIN I was assigned, you can see the "F" in 7SAYGDEE3N"F"310973. Who knows what Austin will have for the factory lettering, but the count will start at 000,000 again.