Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
we will just have toOrdered my MYLR on 11/02/21 in Midnight Silver/Black Interior/Gemini Wheels/5 Seater, No FSD or Tow. Original EDD in June 22. EDD has been all over the place but always with a 30 day window. Yesterday the EDD changed to March 17 - March 31. Not sure why they narrowed the range. Delivery would be Cherry Hill NJ
Surprise, surprise just got a new EDD: April 13-May 11.

I've been looking at the NeoCharge as well (wife has a M3, I'm getting a MY), and will probably pull the trigger on it. My EDD is currently April - if you happen to install the NeoCharge do us all a solid and post a review. ;)
I think we may be in the same batch. Our EDDs about the same, same config and, I think, you are DC not the state, so both eastern half of country

I also went with the NEMA 14-50 but cost is not the same. Tesla Charger is $500 NEMA 14-50 adapter is $45. Cost to run the electrical is close to the same. 14-50 outlet charges a little slower, it’s about 10 hrs to fully charge a MY. But can also be used if you get a different EV later and you can get a non Tesla charger that will work on your Tesla, but at a slower rate. Get the charger if you have multiple Teslas or if you are concerned about charging time. If not, I say go with outlet. Is what I did. Charge in link will give you some info. Charger is 60 amp and outlet is 50 amp

I went with the Tesla wall charger. With the 30% tax credit (valid for 2021 installs, not sure it's carried over to 2022), it effectively makes the wall charger $350.

The 2-conductor+ground 6-2 wire needed for the wall charger is cheaper than the 3-conductor+ground needed for the 1450 outlet. Electric wire costs have tripled in the last two years, so depending on the length of run from your panel, the 6-2 wire could save some money over the 6-3.

The install time (billed electrician time) should be pretty much the same to install either the Tesla WC or 1450.

My electrician also installed a circuit cutoff switch near the wall charger; said if anything went wrong, we could cut the power to the charger right there in the garage rather than having to into the house and down to the basement to the panel and flipping the circuit off there.

Since you'll have the electrician there, think about whether you need any extra outlets in the garage. I had only one standard outlet at the back of the garage, so I had him install a 20amp 120v outlet near the front of the garage so I can run the pressure washer without kicking off circuit breaker.

In the attached pic you ca see the wire coming up the cutoff switch/box, then goes to the wall charger. The extra 20-amp outlet is on the wall to the right.

Attachments

• Tesla wall charger6.jpg
    Tesla wall charger6.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 63
I went with the Tesla wall charger. With the 30% tax credit (valid for 2021 installs, not sure it's carried over to 2022), it effectively makes the wall charger $350.

The 2-conductor+ground 6-2 wire needed for the wall charger is cheaper than the 3-conductor+ground needed for the 1450 outlet. Electric wire costs have tripled in the last two years, so depending on the length of run from your panel, the 6-2 wire could save some money over the 6-3.

The install time (billed electrician time) should be pretty much the same to install either the Tesla WC or 1450.

My electrician also installed a circuit cutoff switch near the wall charger; said if anything went wrong, we could cut the power to the charger right there in the garage rather than having to into the house and down to the basement to the panel and flipping the circuit off there.

Since you'll have the electrician there, think about whether you need any extra outlets in the garage. I had only one standard outlet at the back of the garage, so I had him install a 20amp 120v outlet near the front of the garage so I can run the pressure washer without kicking off circuit breaker.

In the attached pic you ca see the wire coming up the cutoff switch/box, then goes to the wall charger. The extra 20-amp outlet is on the wall to the right.
Pretty sure that Tax Credit finally ended in 2021, I had mine done in 2022. I already have 2 120v outlets already, but like the cut-off switch, I didn't go that a route.

May have something to do with not feeding a secondary market? Maybe some regulations against actively condoning an inflated market for your products? No idea!

For one I’m trying to understand the financial sense of coming down hard on people for this.
Imagine 10% of owners decided to flip their cars in this current climate since sept 2021…and then purchase another one. That’s what…almost 100,000 new sales on global total of 1M? Assume half those used buyers would have bought new anyway…so 50,000 loss of sales and revenue. For Tesla meeting their guidance is becoming increasingly important and -50k sales at avg $60k sale…3B less revenue?

That aside…spoke to the manager of my SC and he’s going to try to assist and do his best to clear it. But I do fear the order is gone and won’t be reinstated. Best case…’sorry about that…please feel free to re-order’. That would utterly suck.
So I sent in my explanation as to how Tesla is in error on this and follow up email will be coming from the SC to support it…and we get back ‘our contention stands. Case is now closed. There is nothing more from Teslas end. Sorry for the inconvenience.’

That’s it? So now our family is branded ‘flippers’ because we wanted to switch a trim level on a Y. This company is going to the dogs if this is how they are going to treat their customers. I’ve supported Tesla from early days referred over 10-12 model S\X, over 20 model 3’s and was literally a tesla brand ambassador at a few auto shows in 2016/2017.

So here we are with one model 3…fulfilling half of what the family needs and a sanction on ever buying a Tesla (from Tesla) ever again. Is this even real?

Pretty sure that Tax Credit finally ended in 2021, I had mine done in 2022. I already have 2 120v outlets already, but like the cut-off switch, I didn't go that a route.
I had never seen or heard of a cutoff switch when I looked at other peoples wall charger install experiences.

My electrician explained that unless the electrical panel is right there in the same space, he always installs a cutoff switch. With him it wasn't optional. My panel is down in the basement on the far opposite wall of house from where the garage connects to the house.

So I sent in my explanation as to how Tesla is in error on this and follow up email will be coming from the SC to support it…and we get back ‘our contention stands. Case is now closed. There is nothing more from Teslas end. Sorry for the inconvenience.’

That’s it? So now our family is branded ‘flippers’ because we wanted to switch a trim level on a Y. This company is going to the dogs if this is how they are going to treat their customers. I’ve supported Tesla from early days referred over 10-12 model S\X, over 20 model 3’s and was literally a tesla brand ambassador at a few auto shows in 2016/2017.

So here we are with one model 3…fulfilling half of what the family needs and a sanction on ever buying a Tesla (from Tesla) ever again. Is this even real?
Wow, that is seriously f***ing ridiculous! I feel for you. That is no way for any company to treat a customer.

Tesla supposedly supports of free market capitalism (anti-union, anti-dealership, etc.), but only to the extent that it's advantageous for them, not the customer. For all the buzz about breaking the rules, shaking up the status quo, they're actually no different than any other car company. Oh well, I thought they were different. I'm sure I'm not the only one who was fooled.

Sorry for the negativity, maybe it's just Monday or maybe it's my unresponsive SA.

Technically you did sell it for a profit and only 2 months after taking delivery. Thats pretty much the definition of flipping.

If you kept the car and sold it just prior to your new EDD I think it would have been different. For most two cars families they don't sell one of them and then wait 6 months .

I'm not saying I don't belive you but It is suspicious and according to the Tesla contract, they just need to believe it was in bad faith. The SA may well have said you should sell it but the SA didn't sign the contract.

I would keep contacting them. and then have the SA contact them on your behalf. I think they will give in eventually.

I had never seen or heard of a cutoff switch when I looked at other peoples wall charger install experiences.

My electrician explained that unless the electrical panel is right there in the same space, he always installs a cutoff switch. With him it wasn't optional. My panel is down in the basement on the far opposite wall of house from where the garage connects to the house.
My panel is in same place, but my guy didn't mention this. One quote I got; electrician told me I needed to install a GFCI breaker to be compliant. The one that did the work for me said, If I want one sure, but not required. Said other guy just wanted to charge me more.

My panel is in same place, but my guy didn't mention this. One quote I got; electrician told me I needed to install a GFCI breaker to be compliant. The one that did the work for me said, If I want one sure, but not required. Said other guy just wanted to charge me more.
That depends on whether your municipality is on the 2017 or 2020 NEC. In 2020 all outlets in garage MUST be GFCI protected through either the outlet itself or a GFCI breaker. (Wall charger has built in GFCI.)

Reactions: SWIPE
If the Unit is hardwired there in no need for a GFCI. The charger has the GFCI built in. If you are installing an outlet to be used with a charger then that outlet should have a GFCI ( since anything can be plugged into it )

Technically you did sell it for a profit and only 2 months after taking delivery. Thats pretty much the definition of flipping.

If you kept the car and sold it just prior to your new EDD I think it would have been different. For most two cars families they don't sell one of them and then wait 6 months .

I'm not saying I don't belive you but It is suspicious and according to the Tesla contract, they just need to believe it was in bad faith. The SA may well have said you should sell it but the SA didn't sign the contract.

I would keep contacting them. and then have the SA contact them on your behalf. I think they will give in eventually.
It actually sold Dec 2nd with an original edd pick up date of Dec 27th. Dealer needed it so rather than lose the sale, we let it go and borrowed a friends suv for 2-3 weeks. We went away on holidays anyway so figured we didn’t even need anything from the 17th onwards.
There is nothing overtly odd about selling a car 2 weeks prior to taking the new one.

Ya I’m this case I can see how it looks to sell after 2 months…but honestly would it have been an issue had the used market been normal? Depreciation hit? Sure they can call it bad faith but it’s a catch all term and leaves so much for them to simply act without bonafide proof or even requirement to explain. It’s ridiculous. We sold a trim we didn’t like for us and replaced it with the right one. It’s not rocket science.

We are still getting our SA and Manager if our SC involved. They are backing us.

@Destiny1701

From the Order Agreement, I assume your version is similar to mine and also includes the following provision:
If you have a concern or dispute, please send a written notice describing it and your desired resolution to [email protected].

If not resolved within 60 days, you agree that any dispute arising out of or relating to any aspect of the relationship between you and Tesla will not be
decided by a judge or jury but instead by a single arbitrator in an arbitration administered by the American Arbitration Association (AAA) under its
Consumer Arbitration Rules. This includes claims arising before this Agreement, such as claims related to statements about our products.

We will pay all AAA fees for any arbitration, which will be held in the city or county of your residence. To learn more about the Rules and how to begin
an arbitration, you may call any AAA office or go to www.adr.org.

It goes on a bit more about how if you didn't opt out of arbitration within 30 days of order agreement signature you've implicitly agreed to arbitrate any disputes, and other info.

Hilariously one of my orders also includes the following clause:
If you do not take delivery of your Vehicle within ninety (90) days of placing your order at no fault of Tesla’s, we may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee.