Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5FB65D3A-479D-41C7-8B7A-8DBA9244D6CB.jpeg

Giga Texas built Model Ys!

View attachment 756784
Giga Texas built Model Ys!
Nice! Have a Blue/White MYLR on order. Unlikely it will end up being from Austin, but curious to see how the Austin builds will stack up and if they will have 4680 cells (and if so, whether they will have teething issues). If I had the choice, I'm not entirely sure I'd pick an Austin build. Would rather not be an early adopter with Tesla given their fairly abysmal customer service experience for anything more substantial than what mobile service can tackle.

That’s a long time to go from VIN to delivery. I just got a VIN yesterday and my EDD is 1/27 to 2/2 unless it gets pushed for some reason. And I’m also on the east coast.

And I wonder how it works for cars from the same batch on different coasts. I know of at least one other car with a similar VIN that is being delivered on the west coast.
They actually called today and said my car was showing up tomorrow, so i could pick it up early if I wanted to. So I'm going to shoot for Thursday or Friday.

The MCU doesn't run the car. Just most (not all) of the UI.
I'm skeptical that the AMD Ryzen chip would make a 3.5% dent in the MYLR overall range potential.
If it did to that extent, Tesla might be required to disclose that.

I just picked up my MYLR VIN 356xxx yesterday and it's of course too soon to tell anything. I haven't charged it full up to see what it reports.
It does have both the AMD chip and LiOn 12V low voltage battery, but no dual glazed passenger door glass.
The best news is that the suspension seems to ride better than the demo rides I remember. Which may be the mythic subjective attribute of suspension perception talking.
They did disclose it in Australia. 22km reduction in the WLTP range (624-602 I think) for M3. There’s a tweet about it here.
Haven't seen in US but it’s the same processor as MIC.

They did disclose it in Australia. 22km reduction in the WLTP range (624-602 I think) for M3. There’s a tweet about it here.
Haven't seen in US but it’s the same processor as MIC.
But it doesn't say the reduction is due to the Ryzen chip, at best implies.
It just says a range reduction, not directly why.
We also don't know if the Australian rating agency rules and ratings equate to same for US agency.

I'm a skeptic, but an honest one. It makes no sense for the MCU to have that much effect on overall range. It's just the Media management.
The heavy lifting processors are elsewhere.
Newer chips may be faster but they usually only draw the same or less current from one generation to the next, but I haven't looked that up for the Ryzen.

Reactions: Wigan and EVDRVN
Tesla actually comes out and says (in writing) that the new computer is reducing range and people here are like

1642509363812.png

EDIT: So far this message has only been seen by customers in europe. It could also be due to the battery used in the car from china .
The US MY still has capacity locked down . We went from 75KW to 82KW and all the MYLR got was 4 mile increase . Its possible that reserve was for the new computer implementation to allow it to keep its origional range.

Last edited:
These numbers are not technically Consistent and seem more like worse case legal disclaimer. Thank God I don’t have FSD:) These must be worst case scenario numbers and boy talk about In efficient relative to the other chip. It’s pretty easy to do a measurement of the car loads and compare the differences

But it doesn't say the reduction is due to the Ryzen chip, at best implies.
It just says a range reduction, not directly why.
We also don't know if the Australian rating agency rules and ratings equate to same for US agency.

I'm a skeptic, but an honest one. It makes no sense for the MCU to have that much effect on overall range. It's just the Media management.
The heavy lifting processors are elsewhere.
Newer chips may be faster but they usually only draw the same or less current from one generation to the next, but I haven't looked that up for the Ryzen.
I'm by no means an IT expert, but isn't there a difference between the chip and the MCU? I may be 2,000% wrong, but I thought the MCU was a larger assembly than just the chip. If that's true, and they've also 'future proofed' the entire MCU to be able to handle much more complex things in the future, maybe as a whole including both the chip and MCU there is a bigger power drain. Probably meant in the long run to be introduced with the 4680 where they could tweak up the energy storage to negate that range loss.

But again, total speculation from an IT idiot.

I'm by no means an IT expert, but isn't there a difference between the chip and the MCU? I may be 2,000% wrong, but I thought the MCU was a larger assembly than just the chip. If that's true, and they've also 'future proofed' the entire MCU to be able to handle much more complex things in the future, maybe as a whole including both the chip and MCU there is a bigger power drain. Probably meant in the long run to be introduced with the 4680 where they could tweak up the energy storage to negate that range loss.

But again, total speculation from an IT idiot.
Media Control Unit / based on a chip, either Intel or AMD
The Intel Atom series is a mobility proc that is designed to be fast enough but be mindful of power draw - like for laptops.
The AMD Ryzen is a gaming-oriented proc designed for a bit more performance, but draws a bit more power.

The article on which the OP jumped is another Blog-hype, which seems to work pretty well on the Internet.
That article focused on a purported reduction in range for the MODEL 3. It should be noted that this is a MY Forum.....
At the end of the same article, it also said that the MODEL Y GAINED RANGE. And further explained this was due to the battery pack rising to 82kWh from 77kWh.

Well, the MY in North America gained a larger battery pack last spring, and the software enabled that addition this past fall.
Tesla seems to plan well ahead for their product roadmaps. But they don't disclose them, unless for benefit, for obvious reasons.

Either way, the difference is minutiae, but the Blogs Need A Tar Baby.

Reactions: PatrickTM
I don't know what to say anymore. Another EDD change, another move backward....now it's 2/3 - 3/2. I have gone from 4 weeks to 2 weeks, to 4 weeks, to 2 weeks, to 4 weeks... it's like I'm a yo-yo. Today is 153 days or exactly 5 months from OD/PC.

At this rate, I am going to have every update possible, dual pane glass everywhere, new chip, headlights, suspension, cooling seats, Teslabot, hoverboard, auto frunk, auto tire rotation, and a Mars Rover