Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current owners of 40 kWh configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, Lets all get together and send a request to Tesla. I think many of us are ready to upgrade from 40 to 60 and some may even go all the way up to 75. If Tesla is charing $2000 to upgrade from 60 to 75, they should offer a similar price for the 40 owners too. I am ready to get the upgrade all the way up to 75. Hope Tesla is listening.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yes, and as a matter of fact I sent an email to Tesla asking for the current upgrade price in light of the new reduced price for 60 to 75 and the email response I got was that they had no info and I would be contacted by my local service shop. I got a call today from the service shop saying they can't find any information about upgrading the 40 and as far as they know it's not being offered currently. They indicated they would take my name and let me know if it became available in the future. (that part doesn't make sense given it's just a software unlock)

I had a very similar questions and get a very similar answer.... How many 40 owners are ready for an upgrade? All those in favor, say 'yes' !!

Hi all, Lets all get together and send a request to Tesla. I think many of us are ready to upgrade from 40 to 60 and some may even go all the way up to 75. If Tesla is charing $2000 to upgrade from 60 to 75, they should offer a similar price for the 40 owners too. I am ready to get the upgrade all the way up to 75. Hope Tesla is listening.
If you have a Model S 40, then it's possible to software unlock to 60kWh because your battery is actually a software limited 60kWh battery... you don't have the ability to upgrade to a 75kWh pack unless Tesla starts offering physical battery upgrades, which ins't something that they're really doing right now. The 60 to 75 upgrade that they dropped the price on is just a software unlock for the newer Model S 60 that was actually equipped with a 75kWh pack. That said, Tesla should bring the 40 to 60 unlock price inline with current software unlock pricing, plus a little extra to enable Supercharging.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Tesla mostly looks out for itself. The Model X upgrade from 60 to 75 is at a higher amount because it is more desired. It's the same situation with S40 to 60. I really wish they will look into those orphaned S40's but I think this is another dashed hope. Please include me if such a letter is to be sent. Thanks.

Tesla mostly looks out for itself. The Model X upgrade from 60 to 75 is at a higher amount because it is more desired. It's the same situation with S40 to 60. I really wish they will look into those orphaned S40's but I think this is another dashed hope. Please include me if such a letter is to be sent. Thanks.
I would expect the Model X upgrade to cost more since the profit margins were much more slim on the X60D, and the X75D didn't drop in price by $5000. There are so few S40 owners out there that hopefully Tesla gives them a break on the upgrade price.

There are so few S40's out there, it's probably not worth Tesla's mindshare to even offer it or implement it. The S40's are nearly 4 years old at this point. I'd be very reluctant to put down more money to unlock to 60 unless it included supercharging, which I highly doubt they'd do.

There are so few S40's out there, it's probably not worth Tesla's mindshare to even offer it or implement it. The S40's are nearly 4 years old at this point. I'd be very reluctant to put down more money to unlock to 60 unless it included supercharging, which I highly doubt they'd do.
Unlocking to 60 always gave you the option to enable supercharging-- if you pay for it as all original 60 buyers did.

• Informative
Well, I got a response from my local service center:

"In regards to your inbound emailing about upgrading your 40 kWh battery to a 60kWh – this is possible for your vehicle. The price associated with this upgrade is $11,715.00, after tax. The vehicle will need to visit a service facility to process this upgrade, and update the badging on the vehicle."

Ummm...thanks, but no thanks.

That's terrible

Unlocking to 60 always gave you the option to enable supercharging-- if you pay for it as all original 60 buyers did.

I meant that I wouldn't pay for the unlock and then pay an additional $2500 for supercharging, only if they bundled it cheap together. Heck even if we wanted Chademo charging we have to pay to unlock the DC charging capability.

In the end it doesn't matter, our S40 is fine for 99.7% of the time for my wife. In the 1 day a year she needs more range she takes the P85.

That's terrible

How much less was the 40 than the 60 when brand new? The 40 buyers, I had thought, got a really incredible deal on the original car - one which Tesla almost certainly lost money on? So the original 40 buyer are probably not in a position to complain too loudly.

And what would motivate Tesla to do the upgrades cheaply? When the 40s eventually come in on trade, Tesla will upgrade them themselves at zero cost and sell them as SC enabled 60s.

Reactions: Jedi2155
I believe the 60 was ~10k more. Realistically that price is no longer justified as the pricing of batteries has fallen significantly (as noted by their offer to unlock 60's to 75 for only 2000)

If it came down to that price I'd probably look into that service offering to swap the physical battery with an 85 for 15k.

10k is just too high of a price for the benefit.

As always we'll just drive the other car if we need to go beyond the range of this one.

A quick bump for the 40 owners.

I own a 40 and would love to see Tesla give these owners a consideration similar to what was offered to the 60/75 owners ($2k upgrade).

Because Tesla delivered almost all of the 40's around June/2013, all are early adopters who invested in Tesla long before the company had proven itself.

The 40 owners also had to wait the longest because Tesla put them at the end of the line regardless of when the cars were reserved.

On top of that, Tesla gradually removed range from the 40's via "upgrades". The 40's started with about 145-147 Rated range, and now only have 122-128. It's not right.

As others stated above, the 40 -> 60 upgrade is $11,000, Supercharging is an additional $2,500. The cars already carry all of the necessary hardware to convert them to 60 kWh cars with Supercharging/DC charging capability.

I think it's overdue given the current BEV climate, the ease of software upgrades, and Tesla's margins. I understand some will disagree but think it's now time to show appreciation for these early adopters.

Reactions: Ulmo
Yes, multiple times. The evaluation always comes back as "normal" loss which I know isn't true.

My range is down by about 20 miles (14%) after 71k miles and 51 months. All of the range reductions were downward steps experienced in conjunction with software "upgrades", not a gradual/curved reduction. In other words, they were stair-stepped (intentional) reductions from 147 to 127.

I'm wondering if anyone has obtained an acknowledgement or correction by Tesla.

Just for the record, we CAN upgrade for $13,500 plus tax. But then we're supposed to regularly charge only to 90%. It's a lot of money for a 60-mile range increase. (208*.90)-127~60. Given the reasons stated above and that the cars are more than four years old, I think a cost of $2k would be more reasonable and fair.

Basically, I got the email back from Tesla about asking about a discount to upgrade to 60 kwh. Basically, I was told that it wouldn't be fair for those who did the upgrade earlier. I see their point.
I think Tesla and far have gone out the window many times already.

For example those who bought the 60 or 70 but the battery was actually a 75. There was a fee for software upnlock to 75. Those who took that deal early on paid a huffy price. I think like 2500 to go from 70 to 75. They later dropped to 500.

Tesla is natorious for making non stop changes to their vehicle and those who boughfless than 30 days of those changes got screwed too.

Think about it. You order, its in build on the way to delivery and then Tesla add a cup holder or center console or drop price or include air suspension or include power lift gate, etc.

A quick bump for the 40 owners.

I own a 40 and would love to see Tesla give these owners a consideration similar to what was offered to the 60/75 owners ($2k upgrade).

I think it's overdue given the current BEV climate, the ease of software upgrades, and Tesla's margins. I understand some will disagree but think it's now time to show appreciation for these early adopters.

I have a 40, and I agree with your statements. After Tesla dropped the upgrade price for 60/75 owners, I inquired again about unlocking my 40... and was quoted the same $11k.

I think Tesla should reduce the unlock price. However I don't think they will, simply because they have no interest in even considering it. There isn't a practical benefit for them. We've been forgotten; they have other things to focus on.

Even if they did discount the price, what would 40 owners be willing to pay? I definitely will never pay $11k. I don't think I'd even do it at $5k... maybe $3k?

I've come to accept and somewhat relish in the fact that I own one of the most rare Tesla's out there (more rare than the Signatures). It's something a bit special... it has a story... do I want to make it just another average old "60"?

btw - Tesla will also allow you to enable "Fast Charging" and buy the CHAdeMO adapter without unlocking the battery for ~$2500. Still no SuperCharging, however it's at least an option.

My S40 range also dropped from 140 to 125. However, I never really got 140 miles of real range out of it... I think 125 is just a more accurate estimate. Maybe that's due to it carrying around 20kwh of dead weight?

Going from 40 kWh to 60 kWh where the battery is really 75 kWh, for 11k, hmmm. From there software unlock 60 kWh to 75 kWh for $2000.

That would be bring 13k. Hmm in they willing to include SC capability.

I would jump that it. 13k to go 259 EPA rated miles.

• Disagree
Going from 40 kWh to 60 kWh where the battery is really 75 kWh, for 11k, hmmm. From there software unlock 60 kWh to 75 kWh for $2000.

That would be bring 13k. Hmm in they willing to include SC capability.

I would jump that it. 13k to go 259 EPA rated miles.

The 2013 "60" is a an actual 60kwh battery... using EPA ratings, that would add 69 miles to an unlocked 40. Even after paying the $11k to unlock the 40, you still need to pay an additional $2500 to unlock SuperCharging.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Ulmo