Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current status of Firmware 6.0 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supposedly the new calendar feature only works with an iphoney thing. I vote bad, in fact it should work directly with the calendar server (ie exchange) not the hand held device.

The calendar feature upsets me just a little bit. I know, how can someone be upset by a new feature? Perhaps upset is overstating, but I'm certainly a little annoyed. The reason is because there are so many other features we need more urgently - better navigation with multiple route selections and destinations, supercharger routing, valet mode, etc. But instead of working to bring us those features, they give us the ability to name our car and access our calendars. I don't need or want a calendar in my car - that's why I have a smartphone.

It just feels to me like the resources at Tesla were used to create silly features that nobody asked for at the expense of features everyone is clamoring for. It's disappointing.

Not everyone uses Exchange. And rarely does anyone use that for their personal calendars. My wife and I both use Google Calendar, and someone else may use iCloud Calendar, or maybe even the non-cloud-connected calender on their phones. This implementation would work for all of these cases.

And having calendar access allows you to effectively send a destination to the car, which is great.

Perhaps upset is overstating, but I'm certainly a little annoyed. The reason is because there are so many other features we need more urgently - better navigation with multiple route selections and destinations, supercharger routing, valet mode, etc.

You're speaking for some, but not all; we all have wish lists, but there's no way for Tesla to put my list or your list first. Also we both have the consolation that there will be a v6.1, v6.5, v7.0 and onwards.

@everyone: can we please stop assuming that we've seen the final version of v6.0?

Maybe if you give us a good reason not to assume that.
Otherwise I find it hard to believe that there would be more major changes coming than those in a semi-public beta.

That seems a bit ... I dunno, confrontational? All Nigel (and others) are asking is that before people get all emotional about something they don't know for a fact, they wait until they actually KNOW the facts.

... people get all emotional about something they don't know for a fact ...
Ceasing that behaviour would dull down TMC (and most other forums) into oblivion, Im afraid.
attachment.php

He means his company when he says "we", not Tesla. Language subtlety.

Correct, I am not Tesla :)

- - - Updated - - -

Not everyone uses Exchange. And rarely does anyone use that for their personal calendars. My wife and I both use Google Calendar, and someone else may use iCloud Calendar, or maybe even the non-cloud-connected calender on their phones. This implementation would work for all of these cases.

And having calendar access allows you to effectively send a destination to the car, which is great.

Agree, was not mandating exchange, but you use google calendar, my phone can sync with any of those services as well, so the car should be a device, end point, not doing a "phone/car" to phone sync, but a phone to service sync. We have user profiles in the car that make sense to use for something like this. Oddly I have bookmarked my calendar using the browser which gives me the day at a glance, so when I get in the car I know when I have to be somewhere (rarely used however, but it was handy).

Supporting something like the iCal standard would allow integration with many different backend formats.

There may be limitations within the standard, the in-car capability, and/or what they wanted to do that made this impractical, however.

My not wholly serious question may have an answer if the iPhone is the only phone to work with several new features of 6.0. That seems the case, if the Android version is "coming soon" (meaning not soon).

Anyhow, one may imagine Tim Cook or the equivalent holding up a glossy new phone at the (probably in mid-September) iPhone 6 launch and demoing it starting a car or doing something else unique with it . . .

Thank goodness this thread finally​ has turned funny!

(I, for one am madder'n a fishless grizzly bear that 6.0 appears not to have the much-needed "Danger, Will Robinson! Caribou ahead!!!".)