Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current status of Firmware 6.0 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting the car is a Tesla API, just like starting the A/C... It shouldn't have any thing to do with iOS API. Am I missing something?!
The notion was that something new in iOS 8, like Touch ID, would be required to start the car. The Tesla API might have had some sort of authentication mechanism that required it.

Unlikely to be the case, since the app is compiled in iOS 7.

I woke up this morning to a software update prompt. I scheduled it for 9:30am CT when I know the car won't be needed for a couple of hours. Fingers crossed that I am getting v6.0 (currently on 5.11).

It will most likely be 5.12. I got mine OTA a few days ago. I'm guessing we will hear about the service centers installing it (6.0) before it's pushed out OTA.

Starting the car is a Tesla API, just like starting the A/C... It shouldn't have any thing to do with iOS API. Am I missing something?!

It might, and might not use the regular API.
Nothing prevents the app from using a different way to communicate with the car (bluetooth, nfc, or maybe even a direct wlan connection).
It depends on whether the phone needs to be physically close to the car or not to be able to start it. I can see the advantage of being able to start the car remotely - if I am on my own, and lose the fob and AND my own phone, then my wife can then start the car for me from wherever she is so I can drive home. But on the other hand, there are quite a few security implications with this that are easier to resolve if the phone needs to be close to the car to start it.

And even if it uses the regular REST-api, it might require some kind of secret sauce that only iOS can give it. Some kind of key exchange - maybe a three way handshake, involving an iOS crypto API.
This could ofcourse also be done with various Android APIs so it does not mean it have to be iOS only.

Until 6.0 is actually out there, we can't really know.

Ah, OK... I understand what you mean. I am not sure if the lower regen applied at lower speeds is intentional or a physical constraint.

I believe this already happens to a certain extent. The upper limit of the regen may be determined by your speed, but within that limit, the amount of regen I think already depends on how quickly you release the accelerator.

While there is obviously a software-controlled curve, ultimately the amount of regen energy (and thus braking force) that can be extracted is dependent on the rotational energy of the motor. Thus, at slow speeds it may not be possible to hit 60kWh of regen.

It might, and might not use the regular API.
Nothing prevents the app from using a different way to communicate with the car (bluetooth, nfc, or maybe even a direct wlan connection).
It depends on whether the phone needs to be physically close to the car or not to be able to start it. I can see the advantage of being able to start the car remotely - if I am on my own, and lose the fob and AND my own phone, then my wife can then start the car for me from wherever she is so I can drive home. But on the other hand, there are quite a few security implications with this that are easier to resolve if the phone needs to be close to the car to start it.

And even if it uses the regular REST-api, it might require some kind of secret sauce that only iOS can give it. Some kind of key exchange - maybe a three way handshake, involving an iOS crypto API.
This could ofcourse also be done with various Android APIs so it does not mean it have to be iOS only.

Until 6.0 is actually out there, we can't really know.

Standard API, although requires you to enter your password. No extra functionality needed. Continued conversation over here.

I posted my thoughts over on the TM site regarding the 6.0, but her as well.

As I recall one of the most if not the most requested new update would be "Backup Guidelines".
There was some serious programming issues noted here on TMC as to why this could not be implemented but I was hoping that Tesla would have found a workaround or solved the issue.

Still I love the idea of the car learning new tricks every ? months but how much programming time and effort did it take to add "Name Your Car"?
If you are familiar with the Nissan Leaf and the idiotic eco tree on the dash I put "Name your Car" option just below that in usefulness.

I would rather the time and programming skills it took to implement that option be put to better use and give us something worthwhile in its place (like backup guidelines).

Feel free to Flame

I would rather the time and programming skills it took to implement that option be put to better use and give us something worthwhile in its place (like backup guidelines).

I highly doubt the name function took any resources from the guidelines feature.

They require very, very different skill sets. something like name your car can be added by an entry level coder or intern. The guidelines, if even possible, require a highly skilled low level GPU programmer.

It is a little of like saying I wish the gardener did not waste time mowing your lawn, instead of spending time in the lab curing cancer.

I highly doubt the name function took any resources from the guidelines feature.

They require very, very different skill sets. something like name your car can be added by an entry level coder or intern. The guidelines, if even possible, require a highly skilled low level GPU programmer.

It is a little of like saying I wish the gardener did not waste time mowing your lawn, instead of spending time in the lab curing cancer.

Maybe a little over wrought. How about: "I wish the gardener did not waste time mowing your lawn, instead he/she should have been building a brick patio out of pavers."