Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom USB splitter solution for M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Navak doesn't/can't allow a charging pad to pull a higher amperage than plugging the charging pad straight into the USB. The only trick it does is allow more power through the charging output vs. other Y-splitters

@Kevy Baby covered this question in a excellent way :) I also think that you need one splitter only.

Right... that's what I meant... when you use the "other" Y-splitters, it makes the charging side "dumb" by cutting off the data lines, so it can't charge at more than 5W

5V, like every other USB port. What you’re really after is the amperage; the splitter outputs 2.1A on the charger port.

i figured as much...but as for the amperage, that's not at all what i'm after. i'll explain.

the taptes wireless charging pad will not quick charge if connected to a 5v port, no matter how many amps it puts out. it has to be connected to a 9v or 12v input for it to fast charge. even if the navak splitter puts out 2.1a, if it's at 5v it does me no good...i'll still have to run a wire (or two if i want fast charging on both sides) to a 9v or 12v charger in order to fast charge from the taptes.

i figured as much...but as for the amperage, that's not at all what i'm after. i'll explain.

the taptes wireless charging pad will not quick charge if connected to a 5v port, no matter how many amps it puts out. it has to be connected to a 9v or 12v input for it to fast charge. even if the navak splitter puts out 2.1a, if it's at 5v it does me no good...i'll still have to run a wire (or two if i want fast charging on both sides) to a 9v or 12v charger in order to fast charge from the taptes.

So what you really are after then is QuickCharge? That’s Qualcomm proprietary stuff, and not something the Tesla will do, let alone the Navak splitter.

So what you really are after then is QuickCharge? That’s Qualcomm proprietary stuff, and not something the Tesla will do, let alone the Navak splitter.

yes, this is effectively QC 2.0 or 3.0...but just simply outputting 9v/2a or 12v/1.5a on a charger isn't proprietary is it? there's nothing to stop anyone else from doing it...

anyway though, i figured this wouldn't change the voltage from 5v...but that's why i asked. to confirm it for myself and anyone else looking for a way to get the taptes (or i would imagine the jeda) to fast charge.

yes, this is effectively QC 2.0 or 3.0...but just simply outputting 9v/2a or 12v/1.5a on a charger isn't proprietary is it? there's nothing to stop anyone else from doing it...

anyway though, i figured this wouldn't change the voltage from 5v...but that's why i asked. to confirm it for myself and anyone else looking for a way to get the taptes (or i would imagine the jeda) to fast charge.

it is though. You need the chipset to negotiate that additional voltage cleanly, otherwise you’ll cook non-QC devices that only expect 5V on the rail.

• Informative
Reactions: crackers8199
Just ordered one - thanks for creating this!

I read through a lot of the information here and if I'm using a usb for dash cam and my Nomad wireless pad, would the correct orientation be:

LEFT USB PORT: Direct cord to back of Nomad
RIGHT USB PORT: Navak USB spliter = "Charger" port to a direct cord to back of Nomad, "Data" port for my usb flash for TeslaCam

I believe my thinking is indeed correct... And if so, I will have maximum charge rate on both sides of my Nomad for my iPhone?

Thanks for any and all help!

I read through a lot of the information here and if I'm using a usb for dash cam and my Nomad wireless pad, would the correct orientation be:

RIGHT USB PORT: Navak USB spliter = "Charger" port to a direct cord to back of Nomad, "Data" port for my usb flash for TeslaCam

I believe my thinking is indeed correct... And if so, I will have maximum charge rate on both sides of my Nomad for my iPhone?

@<MACK> thank you!

You are absolutely right. Both sides of Nomad will give you the same charge rate. Let me know if you have any other questions!

I have close to the same setup, except I have 2 Navak devices because I have one USB memory drive for dash cam, and one for music. It works great with the Nomad BTW. The Nomad worked before with the splitter cables, but with the Navak it charges noticeably faster. I have not measured it but its definitely faster.

So do you mean that by plugging in the Navak, your backup camera stops working?

or do you mean your USB drive for Teslacam stops working? If so, what’s plugged into the Navak?

Teslacam doesn’t work, I loose Sentry mode as well since it doesn’t think I have a usb in the data port of the splitter. I have been using our Sandisk iXpand and now tried a generic usb we had in our office that was reconfigured. No issues without the Navak splitter...

Teslacam doesn’t work, I loose Sentry mode as well since it doesn’t think I have a usb in the data port of the splitter. I have been using our Sandisk iXpand and now tried a generic usb we had in our office that was reconfigured. No issues without the Navak splitter...
@Rippin1Gear sorry for your inconvenience. Just sent you a DM about your address.I will send you replacement unit.