Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck and superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So who is more than 500 miles away from a Lowes? Yes, yes, you could have a bed camper and still have the same problem but your statement about plywood requiring the gate to be down at an SC just caused me to chuckle.
I agree plywood is a red herring. BUT I would use it for my camper. Which is 12’ and makes back in charging a pain. If the charge port was on the front many more stations could be used. If the sold an extension cable then many more. And yes I know the cable would be quite thick and heavy.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
They really don’t need to retrofit any. As they are adding v3 Superchargers they can begin installing those with pull-through in mind.
Lets hope so. Clearly the Semi's can't be charging on this car spots either. I think this thread epitomizes all that is a good in online forums. There may be an issue. It is being discussed.. consensus there is a legit issue. Lots of proposals. I expect this thread has been read by a tesla employee and who knows, maybe they have the solution or not but they should clearly know this is being identified as a legit issue rather than some whiny spoiled troll prentending that his model 3 didn't have perfect paint, etc etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Why do you have to have a pull through. I have noticed that many of the superchargers look like this picture:

9o4zSa7h.jpg

Note the far left charger is on the side, rather than at the rear of the parking space. As such, you should be able to pull in forwards with your Cybertruck, with the trailer still attached and the supercharger will end up roughly at the rear wheel of the vehicle in the correct spot for charging. After charging, simply reverse out.

NB: I'm not saying this is perfect, just that it is doable. I'm sure Tesla will make some useful rearrangements when they start to replace the V2 superchargers with V3 ones.

Why do you have to have a pull through. I have noticed that many of the superchargers look like this picture:

9o4zSa7h.jpg

Note the far left charger is on the side, rather than at the rear of the parking space. As such, you should be able to pull in forwards with your Cybertruck, with the trailer still attached and the supercharger will end up roughly at the rear wheel of the vehicle in the correct spot for charging. After charging, simply reverse out.

NB: I'm not saying this is perfect, just that it is doable. I'm sure Tesla will make some useful rearrangements when they start to replace the V2 superchargers with V3 ones.
It's kind of doable as long as the lot is empty as shown (unless the trailer is blocking the entrance). Many of them is not the term I would use. More like only a few have this configuration.

any one of these work? a lot are pull in spots that could allow a trailer, but some could completely pull thru

Trailer-friendly Supercharger Locations

You are correct though, Tesla should expand trailer friendly pull thru spots by the time they start mass producing the truck in 2 years.

Thanks, Sparcs. With the thousands of SC locations, that's still only a handful of places which could be tow-friendly.
I admit that I should have used the "search" function.

The CyberTruck could be a real disrupter to the pickup market. I know Elon wants to make this work, so I can see a greater number of pull-thru, tow-friendly SC's getting built over the next 5 years.

Full disclosure that I have a CyberTruck reserved, and I look forward to towing our 23' Airstream across the country with it.

That’s the problem. That spot was designed for the S3XY models length. The CT is 3 ft longer and thus, the charging port may be too far back, otherwise it won’t reach the other seven spots. They could always put the port on the front right for pull in charging, but they probably won’t.

Gas stations have the issue regarding pull through all the time. The original SC design clearly did not anticipate nor enable pull through. Pull through is required for Semi's and now for towing with the CT. I suspect they will strike a deal with one of the major truck stop companies (loves, pilot, travel centers of america, etc). They already service the truck industry (showers, food, etc) and the needs of long distance trucking, they have tire shops that can fix tires on a laden semi trailer, etc They have the space and are used to meeting needs of turning and parking a 60-70' long vehicle.

I tow with my f350 and when I do I am very very careful about where I fuel up. In theory with my external tank I can go 2300 miles before needing to visit an actual station but that tank often has off road diesel which I can't put in my truck.

So, it seems like a lot of folks would be very happy if the final CT version will be 5-10 inches shorter. It would fit in our standard garage, where we can charge it overnight. The same way we do it for our model S, X or 3.

I'd be interested to know how many people find this a problem. Our current house was built in '92, and it has a 3 bay garage with two doors. The two bay door has a garage that is 24' long, and the single bay door is 20' long.

I suppose I won't be parking it in the 3rd bay.

the truck is 20’ long, 3 feet longer than the Model S. This makes parking it inside a standard 20’ size garage out of the question. And just completely forget about trying to park it in cities lol

I agree on the garage issue but that is tru of all trucks. Parking a truck is notproblem in cities. I do so regularly. Your parallel parking game has to be on point but it is not hard.

Reactions: jerry33
I'd be interested to know how many people find this a problem. Our current house was built in '92, and it has a 3 bay garage with two doors. The two bay door has a garage that is 24' long, and the single bay door is 20' long.

I suppose I won't be parking it in the 3rd bay.
I wouldn't want it any shorter. My Nissan is the same length, has a 1.5 ft shorter bed and can't tow anywhere close to its rated 11500 rating.. sure maybe on the highway, but everywhere we go camping is up a hill at 6% grade. Cant wait to go uphill totally unhindered

Reactions: jerry33