Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Foundation Series Reservation Holder Reveals Cost Of $120,000: Only 1,000 Will Ever Be Made

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oregon and reservation right when it went live. Was able to order tonight despite not getting the email. Just had to log into my account. Went with dual motor and range extender. Range was always most important to me.

Hey Congrats!! I saw last night that there's another Oregonian on the registered list! :-D on The Tigard Delivery Center.

1702740438452.png

I'm in Colorado, have a day 2 Cybertruck reservation RN112750...
Just logged in to my Tesla accnt this morning, and saw this:
```Design Your Cybertruck
Select your configuration options and confirm the final price in our Design Studio. As a pre-order holder, your delivery day will be prioritized.```

Two configuration options:
  • dual-motor AWD for $99,990 with "Est delivery date: Jan-Mar 2024"
  • tri-motor for $119,990 w with "Est delivery Mid-late 2024"
Both would come w a set of FOUNDATION SERIES add ons:
LIMITED-EDITION CONFIGURATION LASER-ETCHED FOUNDATION SERIES BADGE FOUNDATION SERIES CABIN GRAPHIC
20” CYBER WHEELS WITH 35” TIRES [WHITE DÉCOR + OFF-ROAD LIGHT BAR, only w the tri-motor config] PREMIUM ACCESSORIES
POWERSHARE HOME BACKUP POWERSHARE MOBILE CONNECTOR FULL SELF-DRIVING CAPABILITY LIFETIME PREMIUM CONNECTIVITY

Both would NOT qualify for the Federal $7.5k (and Colorado State $5k) EV subsidies.

So the NET ADDED COST to do this: $20k in the base price for the dual-motor AWD + $12.5k subsidy loss (=$32,500 cost increase; i.e., a 48% price increase.

Clearly its expensive... Tesla made it as such to capture the additional; margin.

So what's your verdict?

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
Special editions are always nice…would be nicer if it came with some other extras…such as free supercharging for life and transferable FSD

Except the more they make the less special it becomes. The first 1000 was something that maybe yes a collector would want. But I suspect everything built in 2024 will be Founders editions, more than 1000 for sure.

Tesla is trying to make profit while scaring away buyers, it’s like they don’t want to sell this thing long term. Just long enough to recover their loses in this project.

Except the more they make the less special it becomes. The first 1000 was something that maybe yes a collector would want. But I suspect everything built in 2024 will be Founders editions, more than 1000 for sure.

Tesla is trying to make profit while scaring away buyers, it’s like they don’t want to sell this thing long term. Just long enough to recover their loses in this project.
Tesla also knows it can't produce many trucks in 2024, so why not milk the "early adopter" devotionalists - as that demand will meet/exceed their 2024 production capability...

Reactions: aerodyne
A bunch of foundation invites were taken back today and are unable to configure now. Looks like Tesla has sold out of Foundation orders.
No matter the variant, total production output in 2024 will be..... very limited. So, sell those early vins for as much as the "early adopter" market will bear, it seems. As for the regular AWD, beast and RWD reservationists.................

I decided to pass on the invite yesterday, but had still that dirty worm eating my reasons, and after multiple confirmations of being sold out I tried to see if my reservation was still active and, damit, it still was, and finally caved.... just configured and was able to get confirmation

Reactions: Speedr117
I decided to pass on the invite yesterday, but had still that dirty worm eating my reasons, and after multiple confirmations of being sold out I tried to see if my reservation was still active and, damit, it still was, and finally caved.... just configured and was able to get confirmation
Sorry to hear....Best of luck. Did you have to shell out $250 or $1000 deposit?

I pulled the trigger so fast at 3am when I read the posts and found out I could order it that I forgot to even look at the delivery dates or options lol. Congrats! I think once we get it, all doubts will be gone!

Reactions: UNCLe and ABC2D
I'm in Colorado, have a day 2 Cybertruck reservation RN112750...
Just logged in to my Tesla accnt this morning, and saw this:
```Design Your Cybertruck
Select your configuration options and confirm the final price in our Design Studio. As a pre-order holder, your delivery day will be prioritized.```

Two configuration options:
  • dual-motor AWD for $99,990 with "Est delivery date: Jan-Mar 2024"
  • tri-motor for $119,990 w with "Est delivery Mid-late 2024"
Both would come w a set of FOUNDATION SERIES add ons:
LIMITED-EDITION CONFIGURATION LASER-ETCHED FOUNDATION SERIES BADGE FOUNDATION SERIES CABIN GRAPHIC
20” CYBER WHEELS WITH 35” TIRES [WHITE DÉCOR + OFF-ROAD LIGHT BAR, only w the tri-motor config] PREMIUM ACCESSORIES
POWERSHARE HOME BACKUP POWERSHARE MOBILE CONNECTOR FULL SELF-DRIVING CAPABILITY LIFETIME PREMIUM CONNECTIVITY

Both would NOT qualify for the Federal $7.5k (and Colorado State $5k) EV subsidies.

So the NET ADDED COST to do this: $20k in the base price for the dual-motor AWD + $12.5k subsidy loss (=$32,500 cost increase; i.e., a 48% price increase.
Yes, I'm agreeing with what others have said here this afternoon.

I had the opportunity to configure a Foundation-series Cybertruck this morning. :) Saturday morning. See above for details.

Now, as of Saturday evening, I logged back in to the Tesla.com website and selected my Cybertruck reservation. The opportunity has vanished. :oops:
Now the website just says, as it did before:

"​

Your Cybertruck is Reserved​

You will be notified to complete your Cybertruck configuration as production nears​
"​

• Informative
Sure. I was able to configure my RN11275 reservation last night, and this morning I’m not. Same story from numerous others.

With all due respect, the numerous anecdotal experiences are not a confirmation. It is unfortunate for those who were leaning towards purchasing not to have had enough time to make the decision, but so long as there is a non-zero number of contrary anecdotes, i.e., people still being able to order, I would say that the Foundation Series had not yet sold out.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and beewang
Yes, I'm agreeing with what others have said here this afternoon.

I had the opportunity to configure a Foundation-series Cybertruck this morning. :) Saturday morning. See above for details.

Now, as of Saturday evening, I logged back in to the Tesla.com website and selected my Cybertruck reservation. The opportunity has vanished. :oops:
Now the website just says, as it did before:
"​

Your Cybertruck is Reserved​

You will be notified to complete your Cybertruck configuration as production nears​
"​
I have a different therory... Please try to poke holes in my theory..

- Tesla sends out an invite weekly at Friday 7:30 PM PST (please adj to your local time).
- A follow-up residual weekly invite is sent on Sunday evening (again at or around 7:30 PM PST).
- People who received the email invite can configure the Foundation order that week.
- A system glitch occurred (this week) that allowed for EVERYONE (within certain range criteria) to place an order, but was not supposed to. This is why you read some people who did not get the email but checked their accounts and were able to proceed to order.
- The glitch was reported and rectified, which is why you can no longer order (it went away).

The Foundation series isn't "Sold-out" per se, in fact, Tesla intends to continue with the weekly release of limited order spots for the entire 2024.

Your thoughts..

beewang

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: A2be and jebinc