Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck is a scam.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Legit, Tesla should offer a painted stamped steel version of the CT. The SS exterior is sort of a nightmare.

Yah, it's resistant to door dings. However, it's expensive, stain prone (odd it's called stainless steel), can't be painted, can be wrapped but wraps are expensive, and are easily damaged.

I think this rust “concern” is overblown. Like most things.
I'm not a CT fan but hate the negativity. You're so right about this. I posted on the CT forum that I had surface rust spots on my new 2012 Tundra. It was on the paint! Easily buffed out. I had never seen anything like it but the detailer buffed it out and showed me it was surface particles. It was not rusting thru the paint. Oh and it didn't come back. It was not repainted just buffed out.

Gee nobody has claimed the CT spots ahve come back after buffing. This would clearly not be the case if it was the CT's surface rusting.

Is there anything that precludes just painting the stainless steel?

I'm no expert but I have read that paint won't stick to SS. If you think about it, can you think of any painted SS?

When the CT was first announced the finish seemed great because it was supposed to be cheaper to manufacture due to no paint required, and less damage prone. It just doesn't appear that's the case.

Furthermore, I think we underestimated how unappealing it would become for nearly every CT to be the exact same color/ finish/ cab configuration. I feel like Tesla should throw in, at no charge at all, free wraps for these vehicles to create some variety and interest. Really about the wildest automobile I've seen already seems stale and boring to my eyes just a few months in.

Remember how when you were a kid that whoever spotted a VW Beetle would punch you in the arm and yell 'Slug-bug!'? I feel like the CT is a good candidate for a modern version of that game. 'Bug-stained stupidity!' or 'Rusty-Triangle' or the like.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird
So here's the thing with stainless steel, it doesn't "rust" per say, like deep damage, but it DOES have little speckles of surface rust that are usually smal circles. I work at a scuba dive shop and we have outside facilities that are all stainless steel. They stay in good shape for the most part but you have to polish them with an oil every week, and after it rains there will be these small circular "rust" marks that you have to buff out with an abrasive. So yeah, exactly what you were talking about.
most stainless alloys won't corrode, but exposed to salt water and harsh chemicals (e.g. road grime is horribly toxic and corrosive) it will deteriorate cosmetically and eventually corrode. Mostly, it's "stuff that sticks to the surface" such as brake dust and "rail dust" (iron) … not to forget the panels are fingerprint magnets, it's going to need just as much surface maintenance and will scratch.
It would be possible to prime the panels and paint them, but expensive and counterproductive, I think.
I assume most people will use a stainless steel cleaning chemical that seals the surface against its vulnerabilities (surface contaminants, fingerprints, etc.)
I will probably "wrap" it in some inexpensive film to solve the cosmetic problems, and because it looks less ghastly. : )

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 12.26.56 PM.png

What's the idea trying to sell one at a quarter million?
The Cybertruck is already "readily" available (there are reports of people calling the Sunnyvale location to get vehicles that the customer declined.)
I have an order that Tesla would build as a Foundation, but I think I'm uniquely one of, oh, about a million people not interested in paying the premium, and waiting for the quality and early design issues to be resolved.

The Cybertruck is already "readily" available (there are reports of people calling the Sunnyvale location to get vehicles that the customer declined.)
I have an order that Tesla would build as a Foundation, but I think I'm uniquely one of, oh, about a million people not interested in paying the premium, and waiting for the quality and early design issues to be resolved.
I put a $100 deposit on one not long ago but now I see the prices....eh, can't see it happening.

They aren't really "readily" available at this time. They've delivered like 2k to people and yes, it's ramping, but there's a long wait list currently and some don't like to wait and will pay not to wait. We've always seen this. The Hummer EV sold for 250k.

They aren't really "readily" available at this time. They've delivered like 2k to people and yes, it's ramping, but there's a long wait list currently and some don't like to wait and will pay not to wait. We've always seen this. The Hummer EV sold for 250k.
The one Hummer EV that sold for $250K was a charity VIN #0001 thing. (iirc)
There was a post of someone talking with Sunnyvale Tesla and taking home a Cybertruck from their lot of trucks that customers declined (not necessarily for quality, just declined as purchase decision.)
I have a "day one" deposit and think "everyone" in the first few months has received an offer to build their order.
I think there's a lot more than 2K on the road. I see one or more daily around Silicon Valley.
e.g. "VIN to delivery in 3 days"
someone shopped around for cancelled orders
still serious dollars for a very early production vehicle, so jumping into the deep end of the early adopter pool : )

The one Hummer EV that sold for $250K was a charity VIN #0001 thing. (iirc)
There was a post of someone talking with Sunnyvale Tesla and taking home a Cybertruck from their lot of trucks that customers declined (not necessarily for quality, just declined as purchase decision.)
I have a "day one" deposit and think "everyone" in the first few months has received an offer to build their order.
I think there's a lot more than 2K on the road. I see one or more daily around Silicon Valley.
e.g. "VIN to delivery in 3 days"
someone shopped around for cancelled orders
still serious dollars for a very early production vehicle, so jumping into the deep end of the early adopter pool : )
You live in California, that's why you see them on the road.

There are a hand full on the east coast (not including Florida). Tesla Charlotte said they've delivered 3 total when I asked last week which delivers for South Carolina and half of NC.

The supply is really limited. I reserved like 3 months after launch and haven't been invited. My neighbor claims he was 1 month after launch and no invites and thinks it's due to where we are. People pay a premium when supply is extremely limited.

There's a reddit thread and the CT thread about Sunnyvale and 2 people claim they were able to get one...many other called Tesla or went there and were turned away, so it doesn't sound like a legit story.

Reactions: Yelobird
You live in California, that's why you see them on the road.

There are a hand full on the east coast (not including Florida). Tesla Charlotte said they've delivered 3 total when I asked last week which delivers for South Carolina and half of NC.

The supply is really limited. I reserved like 3 months after launch and haven't been invited. My neighbor claims he was 1 month after launch and no invites and thinks it's due to where we are. People pay a premium when supply is extremely limited.

There's a reddit thread and the CT thread about Sunnyvale and 2 people claim they were able to get one...many other called Tesla or went there and were turned away, so it doesn't sound like a legit story.
I didn't realize the CT was being delivered outside TX and CA. In any case, just looking at the shipping yards full of the things, 2000 seems low.
As for reddit as a source of what's real … : )
Some Tesla bloggers estimate 1000/wk in Q2.
I don't mind. If they sort it out and drop the price this year that's soon enough for me.
I want plenty of them on the road so it becomes unremarkable.

I didn't realize the CT was being delivered outside TX and CA. In any case, just looking at the shipping yards full of the things, 2000 seems low.
As for reddit as a source of what's real … : )
Some Tesla bloggers estimate 1000/wk in Q2.
I don't mind. If they sort it out and drop the price this year that's soon enough for me.
I want plenty of them on the road so it becomes unremarkable.
My 2000 number was just a ballpark. They are in the 4ks in VINs and customer deliveries started higher up.

Reactions: P90D
My 2000 number was just a ballpark. They are in the 4ks in VINs and customer deliveries started higher up.
Fair. We'll see what the Q1 earnings call reveals.
These pics suggest production is ramping. I hope quality and the various defects and design flaws have been resolved. I don't think there's anything major.
I wish Tesla would address some of the issues like the rearview mirror (should be a display with camera) and rear camera should have a washer for example.
I think Tesla product management could have an hour video chat with @MKBHD and address his concerns, ship him an improved 1.01 version and have him put out a video that doesn't say "I drove the Cybertruck so you don't have to." : )
The problems that "diesel bros." (?) encountered are bigger issues for people who want the Cybertruck off-road (me) … even Munro, now fully captured by Tesla, observed the suspension design and materials are garbage (in polite terms.)

Fair. We'll see what the Q1 earnings call reveals.
These pics suggest production is ramping. I hope quality and the various defects and design flaws have been resolved. I don't think there's anything major.
I wish Tesla would address some of the issues like the rearview mirror (should be a display with camera) and rear camera should have a washer for example.
I think Tesla product management could have an hour video chat with @MKBHD and address his concerns, ship him an improved 1.01 version and have him put out a video that doesn't say "I drove the Cybertruck so you don't have to." : )
The problems that "diesel bros." (?) encountered are bigger issues for people who want the Cybertruck off-road (me) … even Munro, now fully captured by Tesla, observed the suspension design and materials are garbage (in polite terms.)

So basically what all of us who have only seen pictures have been saying is now being verified.

MKBHD knows nothing about cars but if it's him vs an actual customer Tesla would tell the customer it's within "spec" but roll over for MKBHD.

The off roading thing I wouldn't be too worried about as this is an on road truck that can be made off road with aftermarket parts. Tesla shot themselves in the foot like Elon said by trying to make it seem like it's a right out of the box off roader.

I again believe it should have been marketed as a street truck, Ford should have done the same.

I've not seen a CT yet in real life...
So basically what all of us who have only seen pictures have been saying is now being verified.

MKBHD knows nothing about cars but if it's him vs an actual customer Tesla would tell the customer it's within "spec" but roll over for MKBHD.

The off roading thing I wouldn't be too worried about as this is an on road truck that can be made off road with aftermarket parts. Tesla shot themselves in the foot like Elon said by trying to make it seem like it's a right out of the box off roader.

I again believe it should have been marketed as a street truck, Ford should have done the same.
I believe a person truly into off-roading would never in good faith consider such a vehicle. They're going to get a jeep or a bronco or something else. This thing--and frankly ANY AWD or 4WD vehicle--will have zero problem in the conditions 99% of us will ever face. Videos of it failing to rock crawl are interesting to watch but people ought not to take them too seriously. The key demo for this vehicle is urban truck buyers, most of whom never hit trails and never tow a horse trailer across states for their equestrian competitions--by my wild assed guess about 90%+ of truck buyers.

Last edited: