Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck reservations.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Neilio

Jul 8, 2020
Brentford
Given this seems very far away an Europe, if it come at all.

Do you think changing my reservation from tri motor to dual at this stage will affect my place in the queue? Assuming we get them, I'm starting to think the tri motor variant is unnecessary for me.

I’d buy a Rivian R1T in the blink of an eye.
The cyber truck is a horrifyingly, ungodly ugly beast (although I admit it’s just my personal aesthetics at play here).
Moreover, it seems WAY too large for adoption in most European countries.
I kind of agree on the styling but for me that’s the point. I like the boldness of the statement. Sometimes I’m into anti-style designs. I like the original Land Rover defender for example. Or the Volvo estates of the 80s and 90s. There was nothing at all pretty about them but they were function over form.

I cant see the cybertruck getting approval for UK/EU use as it is. Even if they reduce the size of it still I would be surprised if it passes pedestrian safety regulations.
Besides if and when they start producing it I believe the full production will be absorbed from the States for quite a while.

ps. Really ugly for me too :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: Neilio
I cant see the cybertruck getting approval for UK/EU use as it is. Even if they reduce the size of it still I would be surprised if it passes pedestrian safety regulations.
Besides if and when they start producing it I believe the full production will be absorbed from the States for quite a while.

ps. Really ugly for me too :rolleyes:
I think I’m going to have to look at the Rivian aren’t I?

Even the Rivian is too big. People shouldn't really be buying things this big unless you have a very specific reason to, and even then it's hard to justify when there are more specific vehicles available. These US style 'trucks' are just big for the sake of being big, and do nothing to help the environmental cause. Quite the opposite.

Even the Rivian is too big. People shouldn't really be buying things this big unless you have a very specific reason to, and even then it's hard to justify when there are more specific vehicles available. These US style 'trucks' are just big for the sake of being big, and do nothing to help the environmental cause. Quite the opposite.
for day to day driving I agree, but there's plenty of instances where you do need a truck this big. We've got a= huge american pickup to pull a fully loaded race trailer. There's few vehicles that can accomodate the weight. I don't think people driving about in a focus are suddenly going to buy a cybertruck, but swapping out our 6.6L V8 Diesel Chevy with a cybertruck would definitely help the environmental cause.
And regarding losing a place in the queue by changing configuration - it won't make a jot of difference. I ordered my M3 in 2016 and jumped in with my reservation as soon as I could to order the car when it came to the UK. My brother ordered a month after they were released in 2019 ... he got his before me.

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB and Neilio
I live and work on a farm, off-roading, towing cattle trailer, towing my ski boat. Requires something substantial, I currently use a Nissan navara. It's about the right size for the job, but I probably wouldn't want to go much bigger (or smaller for that matter).

I decided in the end to buy a M3 and reduce my Navara usage to necessary only stuff. eg work and towing. Thought it would probably work out cheaper than having an electric truck. Think the required battery size will make it too expensive for me.

I live and work on a farm, off-roading, towing cattle trailer, towing my ski boat. Requires something substantial, I currently use a Nissan navara. It's about the right size for the job, but I probably wouldn't want to go much bigger (or smaller for that matter).

I decided in the end to buy a M3 and reduce my Navara usage to necessary only stuff. eg work and towing. Thought it would probably work out cheaper than having an electric truck. Think the required battery size will make it too expensive for me.
Exactly, so you would be the kind of person with a specific reason. It's the SUVs and pickups I see driving around suburbia that I think shouldn't be allowed.

Exactly, so you would be the kind of person with a specific reason. It's the SUVs and pickups I see driving around suburbia that I think shouldn't be allowed.

How on earth would you go about policing that I wonder? Who decides what constitutes "need"? Where does suburbia begin and end? who defines what an SUV is?

Proper minefield that one!

Reactions: Neilio
Around here it's not the size of cars that's a problem, but the ever-increasing size of farm machinery. Some of it is now so big that it always damages our lane. To reduce the damage to our fencing I've made a barricade of old telephone poles, laid on their sides and firmly staked down into the verges, to act as tyre deflectors and bounce tractors and trailers away from our fences. A nearby neighbour had a length of stone retaining wall taken out by a tractor last year, and one of the houses in the village had a part of it's roof broken off by a trailer load of hay bales. The DNO replaced several power poles in the lane a couple of years ago, as they were all damaged from having been hit by farm machinery a few times.

As the son of a farmer I understand the need for big and efficient machinery, but there should be a limit to the size of kit that can be driven on public roads.

Reactions: Adopado and Jez_GB