Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Waiting Room - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also zero interest in something the size of the CT.
I think it's more interesting to see how quickly Tesla use the technology in the CT in other vehicles.

Eg. Switch other vehicles over to 48V to save wiring costs, or steer by wire (particularly on the stall less Highland), or the Powershare features

Then you've got the CT platform itself, which Elon had previously flagged as being reused for a rideshare vehicle.

Also Jason’s full review of CyberTruck
The biggest revelation from this review is that the CyberBeast retains its 0-100kmph time of 2.6 seconds at 30% battery. Also, no preconditioning required like you need for Ludicrous or Plaid!! This is unprecedented and shows how Tesla's in-house developed & manufactured 4680 Cybercell is superior to 1865 or 2170 cells. I can't wait until these cells are available in other Tesla cars.

Oh.. I have 2 reservations for the Cybertruck 🤣

The giga casting doesn't have RHD compatibility and the vehicle won't meet ADR rules. It won't come to Australia.

This is wrong. Giga casting plays no role whatsoever in having RHD compatibility. There is a hole in the sheet metal on both sides and you don't need these holes anyway because it is drive by wire.

ct.jpg

Also, was the Cybertruck on the vehicles menu before?
1701572868565.jpeg

Last edited:
And that’s really important when the tray is full of a coupla hundred kilos of tools and materials that are, hopefully, properly secured 😱
Dude, please comprehend what you’re reading and then come back.
This is unprecedented and shows how Tesla's in-house developed & manufactured 4680 Cybercell is superior to 1865 or 2170 cells. I can't wait until these cells are available in other Tesla cars

Reactions: STUtoday
Model s and x were on the menu up until they were cancelled, and they already met australian design rules.
But the showstopper was building them in RHD, which is not an issue for steer-by-wire.

From other reports, it seems that steer-by-wire requires the 48V architecture, which the S/X didn't have. Guessing they were intending to do it with the S/X but wasn't feasible with 12V.

(When I say "requires"/"feasible", it may have been technically possible but perhaps wasted too much energy/required too much wiring/other reason that made it impractical.)

I asked a fella on Facebook to list down all the ADR non-compliance in a seperate post. I was left waiting.. probably this wait will be longer than the wait for the arrival of the Cybertruck here lol

1701656415079.png

A small complication for RHD is the windscreen wiper switch to RHS. They have to change the windscreen as well because there is an indent for the windscreen wiper assembly. But this is not as complicated as switching a mechanically connected steering wheel
1701656983411.png

No, they removed it quite a long time ago. I'm cautiously optimistic about its reappearance. Although I really need the removed 6th seat and I don't think I'll be able to afford the dual motor any more.

Same. I need a 6 seater or 7 seater EV. Kia EV9 was a bit of disappointment IRL.

I have zero interest in a vehicle like the Cybertruck, but after watching this YT video of Jason Cammisa’s 3 day test, I’m beginning to see what an engineering achievement it is.
The video is worth 1 hour 22 minutes of your time but the language is NSFW.

The problem is, the Concorde was an engineering acheivment, but still a wankery project in the end. Musk is supposed to be saving the planet by his own words, this thing is complete opposite.

Its oversized, dangerous and wastes battery cells usefull for other more worth vehicles. At least you will be able to tell everyone when you drive it that you are a clown.

Musk is supposed to be saving the planet by his own words, this thing is complete opposite.
What's the alternative? Tell the drivers of massively polluting ICE pickup/utes "You aren't allowed to have those anymore"?

That was literally one of Michaelia Cash's rants "They're taking away our tradies utes". We need to make electric utes.

What's the alternative? Tell the drivers of massively polluting ICE pickup/utes "You aren't allowed to have those anymore"?

No, the alternative was to design and build an efficient, practical, lowest-possible-cost Ute that actually “accelerates the transition to sustainable transport”. Cybertruck is the polar opposite of that.

Musk embarked on another indulgent, brainfart vanity project even worse than the falcon-wing doors on Model X. And with no-one at Tesla having the spine to ever say “no, Elon, this is a stupid idea”, Tesla has wasted 4 years to get to this point, and will waste another 2 years before there’s even a realistic prospect of volume production. At which point CT might be cancelled as the dumb idea it always was. 8 years down the drain.

There was absolutely no need for CT to have a stainless steel “exoskeleton”, a massively oversized and boxy shape, or 3s 0-100 acceleration. Or a completely impractical tray with raking sides, bulletproof windows, or the need for a “range extender” battery due to the poor design decisions it started with.

Instead, Tesla could have designed a far more conventional Ute that cost a fraction to make and would pass vehicle design rules around the world. It could have been made production ready in 2 years not 4, and ramped up to volume manufacturing by now, thereby genuinely making a contribution to “accelerating the transition to sustainable transport” by having a workmanlike Ute that could be sold around the world at prices competitive to the Ford Ranger and Toyota Hilux.

Instead we have 💩.

No, the alternative was to design and build an efficient, practical, lowest-possible-cost Ute that actually “accelerates the transition to sustainable transport”. Cybertruck is the polar opposite of that.

Musk embarked on another indulgent, brainfart vanity project even worse than the falcon-wing doors on Model X. And with no-one at Tesla having the spine to ever say “no, Elon, this is a stupid idea”, Tesla has wasted 4 years to get to this point, and will waste another 2 years before there’s even a realistic prospect of volume production. At which point CT might be cancelled as the dumb idea it always was. 8 years down the drain.

There was absolutely no need for CT to have a stainless steel “exoskeleton”, a massively oversized and boxy shape, or 3s 0-100 acceleration. Or a completely impractical tray with raking sides, bulletproof windows, or the need for a “range extender” battery due to the poor design decisions it started with.

Instead, Tesla could have designed a far more conventional Ute that cost a fraction to make and would pass vehicle design rules around the world. It could have been made production ready in 2 years not 4, and ramped up to volume manufacturing by now, thereby genuinely making a contribution to “accelerating the transition to sustainable transport” by having a workmanlike Ute that could be sold around the world at prices competitive to the Ford Ranger and Toyota Hilux.

Instead we have 💩.
So are you suggesting a lowest possible cost practical work ute that is more available to more people and therefore accelerating the transition to sustainable transport?

Reactions: Zoltrix77