Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daily charge limit P100DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

oktane

Oct 25, 2016
USA
What do you P model drivers use as your daily charge limit? Do you charge your vehicle every night?

My problem is, the car gets noticeably slower below about 75% SoC. If I charge to 90% the night before, by the time I unplug in the AM I'm sitting at 88%. I then commute 25 miles one way to work, and after the 25 miles I'll be at or below 78%.

That means I can only truly "enjoy" Ludicrous mode one way to work. Below 75% the performance is OK but nothing special. I have no means to charge at work.

If I charge to 100% every night I might damage my battery.

Ideally I'd top off every night to 100%. How quickly will this cause battery degradation?

Thank you

This is "launch mode" only, do not know how it translates to regular WOT.

At 10% you can do 329 kW power (441 bhp) vs about 575 kW (771 bhp) when full 100%. At 50% it's about 520 kW (697 bhp).

With WOT launches it seems to taper down much more < 75% than the launch numbers suggest, at least to me. Maybe I'm wrong or imagining it.

Here's the DragTimes video:

Tesla P100D Ludicrous Testing 0-60 MPH vs Battery State of Charge from 10% to 100%

i keep mine charged at 90%. also drive with ludicrous mode on all the time.

i will charge it up to 100% occasionally if i know i'm going to be showing it off for someone who would appreciate it's full performance ... :D

although realistically, unless you are timing it or watching the logs, i doubt you would be able to tell much difference in performance between 100% and 80% charge. even at 80% it's still under three seconds 0 to 60, which is quick enough to hang with a McLaren or Lamborghini Huracan.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Thanks Tam for sending link to Doug's 2013 post. Very useful tips some of which I slowly discovered myself, others I was unaware about. Surprised it's OK to charge to100% all the time as long as doesn't get stored there for prolonged periods of time.

Some people get paranoid thinking 100% charge will ruin their battery's range. You don't want to leave your car at 100% for months at a time, because that will slightly increase the rate of degradation of the battery pack. We’re talking months here, not hours!

A few hours at 100% charge has NO measurable impact on battery pack lifetime, and may actually improve battery pack balance.​

I will be curious to see how my 100D holds up under the exact same scenario as my S85D. I sold my 85D with 52k miles and ~22 months on it and it still charged to 265 at100%. I rarely charged it to that as it wasn't necessary but what I DID DO was charge it to 90% every night without fail. I am doing the same with my S100D and charge it to 90% every night beginning at 4:30am so no matter what charge it is at it is finished right before leaving to take the kids to school. It will be curious to see what the 100% charge show on it next time it is necessary.

On a foot note, with the 100D my first road trip of 440 miles round trip I left with a charge at 90% and made my customary stop in Greenville to and fro and never had to charge anywhere close to 90% on the trip which made charging faster than ever compared to my S85D. The 100kWh battery is going to be a great trip car!!!

I set my P100DL to charge to 90%. That way if something comes up I have enough charge to hit road immediately. Also, when I'm headed on trip I still set to 90% over the night before I leave and will bump to 100% the morning I'm heading out. This way, I'm not holding 100% charge overnight as I think a lot of the issue lies in holding a full charge for extended periods of time.

Reactions: boaterva
I have also been using 90%. Two stage charge would be a nice feature, so I can have it charge to 100% just before I leave for work.

Or maybe some logic where I can tell it I want 100% by 0700, and it will figure out what is best for the battery.

Reactions: byeLT4
i'm gonna be honest .. 10 years from now, i'm not really gonna care if my maximum charge is 80% versus 85% of what it is now. what am i saving it for?

i remember playing Final Fantasy VII and i finishing the game with like 15 megalixers and 50 turbo ethers. what a ****ing waste. live it up while you're still young enough to enjoy it, that's what Cloud and the gang taught me.

Thanks Tam for sending link to Doug's 2013 post. Very useful tips some of which I slowly discovered myself, others I was unaware about. Surprised it's OK to charge to100% all the time as long as doesn't get stored there for prolonged periods of time.

Some people get paranoid thinking 100% charge will ruin their battery's range. You don't want to leave your car at 100% for months at a time, because that will slightly increase the rate of degradation of the battery pack. We’re talking months here, not hours!

A few hours at 100% charge has NO measurable impact on battery pack lifetime, and may actually improve battery pack balance.​

Exactly. He's right on point.

The problem is: If you set your car to 100% charge limit by default, and plug in every night, your car is literally going to spend 85% of its life at 100%. That, over the course of months and years, will lead to faster degradation of the battery.

It's not going to be an instant death sentence to the battery, and certainly topping it off to 100% now for a road trip you're going to take this weekend is NOT going to ruin your battery.

Don't buy 100% of a car and chicken out about using more than 90% ;-)

Screw it I'm charging to 100% now. Tried it yesterday and got much more enjoyment out of the car. You notice the real difference at freeway passing speeds compared to below 75% charge.

Tesla should drain itself to 90% if it sits at full charge too long. This will protect battery.

I have also been using 90%. Two stage charge would be a nice feature, so I can have it charge to 100% just before I leave for work.

Or maybe some logic where I can tell it I want 100% by 0700, and it will figure out what is best for the battery.

GM has the charge to finish at X time logic on the Volt, Spark, and Bolt, along with the ability for the car to schedule charging based on your time of use rates.

I've been expecting Tesla to add these in a firmware update at some point...

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
This is "launch mode" only, do not know how it translates to regular WOT.

At 10% you can do 329 kW power (441 bhp) vs about 575 kW (771 bhp) when full 100%. At 50% it's about 520 kW (697 bhp).

With WOT launches it seems to taper down much more < 75% than the launch numbers suggest, at least to me. Maybe I'm wrong or imagining it.

Here's the DragTimes video:

Tesla P100D Ludicrous Testing 0-60 MPH vs Battery State of Charge from 10% to 100%

In the latest software, there is a lot less power at Wot than when using launch mode. They used to be the same, but now it's been downgraded to reduce Teslas warranty liability. It sucks for us.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane