Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daily use of summon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also use Summon daily.

It saves me time as parking in my garage is hard (tight), and I am 100% sure that in the last 9 months I would have hit a wall at least once.

I am also often doing blindly, commands the car to get out from inside the house, then go back to finish getting ready while the car gets out and closes the garage door.

I do check that nothing is on the driveway through the window, and locate the kids first, but otherwise, all automated.

it used to be even more automated with Remote S

Marc Boyer - Automation level 5 unlocked ! | Facebook
You have a lot of courage.

Anyone have Homelink skip for no apparent reason when the car leaves the garage?

Edit: when using summon to leave the garage the garage door opens on its own but skips the closing part.

I don't dare enable Homelink with Summon for two reasons:

1) auto-Homelink for me is finicky (in normal use, not when not using Summon). It sometimes doesn't auto open or auto close. Most of the time it works. But once in a while nothing happens. Auto-close fails more often than auto-open. Sometimes it opens/closes perfectly for weeks, then fails several times in a row. It's unpredictable, I've given up trying to make sense of it (there's a couple other threads discussing people's problems with auto Homelink)

2) my extremely short garage - with garage closed there are only inches between rear of the car and inside of the garage door. In videos I've seen of people using Summon with Homelink, I notice the car first starts to move slightly*, maybe a couple inches, before stopping and opening the door. So the small margin for error in combination with item (1) above mean I don't trust Summon + Homelink combination to safely operate. I have Homelink turned off in the Summon configuration settings.

*BTW, can anyone who does use Summon with Homelink confirm how far the car moves before opening the garage door? Just curious.

2) my extremely short garage - with garage closed there are only inches between rear of the car and inside of the garage door. In videos I've seen of people using Summon with Homelink, I notice the car first starts to move slightly*, maybe a couple inches, before stopping and opening the door. So the small margin for error in combination with item (1) above mean I don't trust Summon + Homelink combination to safely operate. I have Homelink turned off in the Summon configuration settings.
You don't think the read ultrasound sensors would cause it to stop before hitting the door? If not, why do you trust them to stop in any
other context?

You don't think the read ultrasound sensors would cause it to stop before hitting the door? If not, why do you trust them to stop in any other context?
as mentioned, I'm worried because in all the Summon-out videos I've seen, the car first backs up a bit before stopping, then activates the door. (btw why does it move at all before opening the door??) I don't know how far the car will move before stopping and there's very few inches to spare inside my garage. That's the worry.

Are the ultrasonic sensors reliable enough at <8" distance starting point? I don't know. Maybe they are, but if so why isn't a minimum bumper clearance setting of < 8"/20cm allowed in the Summon configuration?

To reverse-summon out of my garage with the door closed, due to my short garage the car would begin with the rear bumper already closer than 8" to a large, sharp-edged hinge on the inside center of the door. This is with the front bumper practically touching the front wall of the garage.

It seems there's next to no margin of error if something goes wrong and the car backs up too much before opening the door, or if I manually abort and the car takes a fraction of a second to stop - unlike forward summon where you've got lots of time/distance to stop things. Note: here in Canada, Summon is only available via the app and with continuous-press. No fob-summon here. So LTE/wifi data connection lag could possibly play into things?

The rear ultrasonic sensors are 21" off the ground, and they are L and R of the centerline of the garage door and car. So instead of aiming at areas of the door that are closest to the car (hinges, interior frame of the aluminum panel door), unfortunately the sensors are pointing at close range to a wide panel, the part of the door farthest away from the car, about 3.5" farther away than that hinge. So it's possible the car could think its starting point is 11" away from the door when in fact it's actually <7.5" from the dangerous parts of the door. If I happen to one day park slightly farther back from the front wall, of course the starting gap is even less.

Maybe there's nothing to worry about if you just look at the math - any clearance >0" before stopping the car should be fine. Maybe starting with <8" clearance, the car won't even budge before opening the door? I would love for this to work perfectly, but without knowing how Summon-out+Homelink works within this context, I'm not eager to risk it. Call me paranoid!

When using summon daily at your house, do you not charge at home ? Or do you plug/unplug before using summon ?

I guess with workplace charging it could work out well, but I have trouble seeing the benefit of summon if you have to go to the plug before using it. Just curious to see other's experiences.

(Question not aimed at anyone in particular.)

@f-stop, I see your point about if you're really close to an obstacle the exact locations of the sensors matter and you might hit
at one point before the sensors think you're close enough, but it seems like that'd be a rather narrow range of circumstances. I haven't
tried it, but I would hope that if you start too close to an obstacle summon simply wouldn't move at all. That'd be an interesting
experiment (to conduct very carefully).

@spottyq, Even when charging it is nice to have summon do the nerve wracking part of getting in and out of the garage; same when
it is raining. Would it be even better to have "touchless" charging? Sure!

When using summon daily at your house, do you not charge at home ? Or do you plug/unplug before using summon ?

I guess with workplace charging it could work out well, but I have trouble seeing the benefit of summon if you have to go to the plug before using it. Just curious to see other's experiences.

(Question not aimed at anyone in particular.)

I charge at home. It just sorta works out with the positioning but @RogerHScott is right, no-touch charging or the snake (Snake? Snake?! SNAAAAAAAAKE) would make things even more convenient.

My setup has my house side door and side stoop pretty much right at my garage door, which is manual. I just walk outside, bend to open the door from the stoop, step down to the driveway/garage area with my keys in hand (to trigger the unlock), release the cable and set it in my super classy charge cable holder (spare propane tank), step back up to the stoop while summoning, close the garage door, and finally get in and drive away.

I charge at home. It just sorta works out with the positioning but @RogerHScott is right, no-touch charging or the snake (Snake? Snake?! SNAAAAAAAAKE) would make things even more convenient.

My setup has my house side door and side stoop pretty much right at my garage door, which is manual. I just walk outside, bend to open the door from the stoop, step down to the driveway/garage area with my keys in hand (to trigger the unlock), release the cable and set it in my super classy charge cable holder (spare propane tank), step back up to the stoop while summoning, close the garage door, and finally get in and drive away.
Does HomeLink close the door for you or nah? Mine skips every single time.

[...] I haven't tried it, but I would hope that if you start too close to an obstacle summon simply wouldn't move at all. That'd be an interesting experiment (to conduct very carefully)
Hmmm...
just thought of a safe way to experiment without risking the paint or creating a car-shaped bulge in the garage door, like you'd see in cartoons

- manually open the garage door; disengage the drive unit from the door (to prevent unintentional closing via Homelink)
- hold a plywood sheet, flattened cardboard box or similar obstruction 6-7" behind the rear bumper
- initiate Summon-out

then see if the car moves at all, or otherwise measure movement/stopping distance before it tries to trigger Homelink

Reactions: kevinf311
Hmmm...
just thought of a safe way to experiment without risking the paint or creating a car-shaped bulge in the garage door, like you'd see in cartoons

- manually open the garage door; disengage the drive unit from the door (to prevent unintentional closing via Homelink)
- hold a plywood sheet, flattened cardboard box or similar obstruction 6-7" behind the rear bumper
- initiate Summon-out

then see if the car moves at all, or otherwise measure movement/stopping distance before it tries to trigger Homelink
Science, beeatches! :)

Trying to upload my video. If this works, what am i doing wrong with auto summons. I did back it in my self like always, then i like to use auto summons so my kids can get in easier, without hitting the walls with my doors, or walking between my car and wall, since you can see, its a tight fit.
Giving up loading it here. So try this one.

Last edited:
Trying to upload my video. If this works, what am i doing wrong with auto summons. I did back it in my self like always, then i like to use auto summons so my kids can get in easier, without hitting the walls with my doors, or walking between my car and wall, since you can see, its a tight fit.
Giving up loading it here. So try this one.
Wow, I'm impressed that it could get through that narrow door! It was kind of hard to follow what you were doing with the settings
at the beginning -- any chance you could post some stills of the various screens?

I did not summon it into the garage. It's such a tight fit it's way less stressful to drive it into the garage. So I typically back it into the garage myself and then use summons to pull it out.
Based on how well it got out, you might try letting it get in, too. What I would do is note exactly where it is lined up side-to-side just
outside the garage door as it exits and then park the car right there to put it in. The worst that is likely to happen is it'll "say" "can't do
it" and you'll have to manually intervene. But it might just work great.