Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged Battery Pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to take a few days and do some photography around Bryce Canyon last weekend. I arrived near Bryce around 10:30 PM local time and then disaster. About a half-mile ahead of me, an 18-wheeler hit a deer. At that time I saw his brake lights, but didn't know why and ignored them. He kept on trucking. Well the deer fell mostly in my lane and a little toward the center. By the time I arrived and saw it, I only had time for a slight maneuver to center him under my card and not hit him with the tire and possibly lose control. The deer was a large one - probably a mule deer. Anyway, he rolled under my car and damaged the battery. Broke cooling hoses and punctured the pack. Cost for replacing that battery pack (LR AWD M3), labor, and minor parts is $17,000.

I decided to take a few days and do some photography around Bryce Canyon last weekend. I arrived near Bryce around 10:30 PM local time and then disaster. About a half-mile ahead of me, an 18-wheeler hit a deer. At that time I saw his brake lights, but didn't know why and ignored them. He kept on trucking. Well the deer fell mostly in my lane and a little toward the center. By the time I arrived and saw it, I only had time for a slight maneuver to center him under my card and not hit him with the tire and possibly lose control. The deer was a large one - probably a mule deer. Anyway, he rolled under my car and damaged the battery. Broke cooling hoses and punctured the pack. Cost for replacing that battery pack (LR AWD M3), labor, and minor parts is $17,000.

Ugh that blows! That said, insurance should cover this, no?

Damn, that sucks. Similar thing happened to me, although it was a large piece of metal. Damage appeared to be slight but the pack got damaged to where Tesla called for replacement.

These packs aren't as tough as claimed.

IMG_0575[1].JPG

IMG_0575[1].JPG
IMG_0582[1].JPG

• Informative
Reactions: kevin1 and KenC
Model 3 is just begging for someone to develop a skid plate.
If they don't protect the truck's underbelly a lot better, definitely there. On the Model 3 has there yet been a report of a module going runaway? Outside of maybe that guy in Russia that clipped the bumper of a tow truck parked illegally parked on a shoulder with his corner hanging into the traffic lane.

So not really a safety issue. Rather than the cost of adding the weight, and air drag, of an extra second skid plate (1/4" Al is a typical thickness, slightly thinner if you go steel) you just take the chance of a rare hit, get a ride in a flatbed cab, and go with that.

If they don't protect the truck's underbelly a lot better, definitely there. On the Model 3 has there yet been a report of a module going runaway? Outside of maybe that guy in Russia that clipped the bumper of a tow truck parked illegally parked on a shoulder with his corner hanging into the traffic lane.

So not really a safety issue. Rather than the cost of adding the weight, and air drag, of an extra second skid plate (1/4" Al is a typical thickness, slightly thinner if you go steel) you just take the chance of a rare hit, get a ride in a flatbed cab, and go with that.

It’s mainly the cooling hoses that interface with the pack. They are extremely vulnerable with the model 3 design. I’ve seen numerous reports on this forum of people damaging them and having to replace the whole pack. A skid plate, as an aftermarket option, would be nice.

It’s mainly the cooling hoses that interface with the pack. They are extremely vulnerable with the model 3 design. I’ve seen numerous reports on this forum of people damaging them and having to replace the whole pack. A skid plate, as an aftermarket option, would be nice.
Oh, so nothing that would cover this situation. You're talking about under the DU in just in front of the pack.

The Jay Leno footage of the CyberTruck in the tunnel has a pretty good view of the undercarriage at around the 4:20 mark:

To me it looks entirely smooth. It better be made of that bulletproof glass (lol) or something serious, because lithium batteries cannot survive even the slightest damage.

And people with trucks go over things. Big, pointy things.

The Jay Leno footage of the CyberTruck in the tunnel has a pretty good view of the undercarriage at around the 4:20 mark:

To me it looks entirely smooth. It better be made of that bulletproof glass (lol) or something serious, because lithium batteries cannot survive even the slightest damage.

And people with trucks go over things. Big, pointy things.

The truck seems like a joke. I’ll get hate for saying it but I hope it’s all still a joke like when the audience went silent thinking Elon was kidding and then “oh crap he’s for real...um yay I guess????”. The cyber truck won’t be on and work sites except for the one being driven by the job site boss man who wears loafers and a cleanly pressed white button-up.

I think the real truck will be Rivian, again I’ll get more hate but I think it’s much better overall (price is a bit much) but even the ugly headlights on the Rivian appeal more to me than the Cybertruck.

Back on topic... we still haven’t gotten pics from the OP!!!! Cmon already