Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dangerous backup cam freeze?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't had this happen to me. But, if you are looking at the camera display and objects have stopped moving, Freeze, when you are clearly moving, wouldn't that cause you to stop. If my visuals didn't match up with my perception of movement, I would stop what I was doing and verify my surroundings.

Yup, exactly what I think. Too bad that as technology progresses, people come to depend on it instead of depending on their brain. What did folks do before their were rear view cameras? I use it as extra input, yet don't depend on it.

This reminds me of what has happened in the world of flying. Planes have become so automated these days than commercial pilots are just not as good as what they were 20 years ago. They don't do as good in an emergency. Yes, some are great, and some not.

I haven't had this happen to me. But, if you are looking at the camera display and objects have stopped moving, Freeze, when you are clearly moving, wouldn't that cause you to stop. If my visuals didn't match up with my perception of movement, I would stop what I was doing and verify my surroundings.
Careful. I got heckled for saying the same thing.

Only been a couple weeks but even my Kia Soul EV has a back up camera, but I never relied on the cameras alone. More of a confirmation after visual checks & proximity sensor warnings, so if they did freeze I would know.

My issues aren't necessarily a camera lock up but is a blank green screen (it does have the guidance lines though)
This makes backing into the garage rather touchie, due to it being more of a 'squeeze in' than a 'back in', maneuver
I've had green, black, purple, multicolored and frozen screens. Seems to be random and a reboot fixes it until it happens again

I've had green, black, purple, multicolored and frozen screens. Seems to be random and a reboot fixes it until it happens again
I was thinking it might be a moisture issue, dew, rain ect. but today I drove around, in a pouring rain for over 5 hours and at no time did the camera fail.
I ran the screen while driving, then, I'd switched it off, prior to knowing I'd be backing up, and it never failed,
HMMMM, Random it is.

Had a new variation on the backup camera bug. This one was very confusing... The screen showed the mirror image of the usual view but guide lines were correctly displayed. Reboot fixed it. Luckily I was familiar with the surroundings since I was backing out of the garage.